Re: Playing .MOV files on iPad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2011.

  1. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    news:CA9A4676.77F08%...
    > Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
    > recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a
    > first
    > generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot
    > figure
    > how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

    You could try the VLC Media Player:

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

    although it seems to have been withdrawn from the App Store.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2011

  2. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Thanks guys, but I am trying to avoid any file conversions using OS-X.
    > If I
    > have to lug my PowerBook along on the shoot, it can be viewed via
    > QuickTime
    > without any conversions. What I am trying to do is view what we shoot on
    > just the iPad which has a totally different operating system, (iOS4.x).
    > Like
    > I said, I am trying to find something similar to QuickTime for 1Pad.

    If you can post the URL of a /short/ clip in the format you need, I could
    download and test on my iPad. The iPad views movies from my Nikon D5000
    directly, including sound.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2011

  3. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to
    > the
    > iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

    You can connect your SD card with the Camera Connection kit:

    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

    Import is automatic on connection, and you can choose to skip files you
    have already imported, and whether to delete the files from the SD card
    once the import is complete. Can't help with the older CF format, though.
    Perhaps you can get an adapter?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2011
  4. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    []
    > That's it, exactly! The problem is that it thinks *everything* it has on
    > the
    > CF card is a 'photo' and puts it in the area with other photographs and
    > have no way to direct it otherwise.
    >
    > OTOH, I would figure that Apple's SD card adapter is 'intelligent' and
    > places video files in another area on the iPad so it can be opened
    > properly,
    > as it has done for David. Best guess that I can come up with...

    No, the .AVI files from the Nikon D5000 are placed in the same area
    (directory) as the photos, and the Photo application knows how to play
    them. Perhaps try renaming one to .AVI as an experiment?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2011