Re: Players cannot connect

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Sample urls?

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:54:23 -0500, in
    <>
    Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 15, 2003

  2. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    ..
    >Sample urls?

    http://www.101.ru/
    http://www.villagevoice.com/

    And... MP won't even connect to
    http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp

    Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 15, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
    <>
    Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >.
    >>Sample urls?

    >http://www.101.ru/
    >http://www.villagevoice.com/
    >
    >And... MP won't even connect to
    >http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
    >
    >Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

    Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses. Your media
    player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
    etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
    http://www.shoutcast.com/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 15, 2003
  4. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    ..
    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >
    >>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >>.
    >>>Sample urls?

    >>http://www.101.ru/
    >>http://www.villagevoice.com/
    >>
    >>And... MP won't even connect to
    >>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
    >>
    >>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

    >Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.

    I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
    of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
    are to streaming media adresses.

    >Your media
    >player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
    >etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
    >http://www.shoutcast.com/

    I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
    but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
    much traffic.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 15, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
    <>
    Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >.
    >>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:18:51 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>>the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >>>.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.101.ru/
    >>>http://www.villagevoice.com/
    >>>
    >>>And... MP won't even connect to
    >>>http://windowsmedia.com/radiotuner/MyRadio.asp
    >>>
    >>>Although using IE I have no trouble connecting to it.

    >>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.

    >I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
    >of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
    >are to streaming media adresses.
    >
    >>Your media
    >>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
    >>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
    >>http://www.shoutcast.com/

    >I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
    >but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
    >much traffic.

    Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 15, 2003
  6. On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    ..
    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >
    >>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >>.
    >>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:17:45 -0500, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >>>Those are web addresses, not streaming media addresses.

    >>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
    >>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
    >>are to streaming media adresses.
    >>
    >>>Your media
    >>>player will (should) connect to streaming media urls, like play lists, asx,
    >>>etc. For WinAmp, try tuning into one of the playlists here:
    >>>http://www.shoutcast.com/

    >>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
    >>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
    >>much traffic.

    >Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

    I disabled Zone Alarm in msconfig. I turned off the XP firewall on the
    one connection I had it on CP/network connections, advanced.

    On both of my other connections (ISPs) I never have enabled the firewall.
    None of them work with the players.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 15, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:04:28 -0500, in
    <>
    Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >.
    >>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:13 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>>the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >>>.

    >>>I guess I do not understand the difference. At any rate, when I go to one
    >>>of those websites, there are links for the players. I assume those links
    >>>are to streaming media adresses.

    >>>I just tried several. All three did the same thing. They opened WinAmp
    >>>but did not play. I also noticed that my internet connection did not show
    >>>much traffic.

    >>Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

    >I figured it out but I still do not fully understand it. The clue was
    >when Outpost asked me for permission to do something. This was extremely
    >odd because I un -installed outpost shortly after installing it.

    Reading the rest of your response, not correctly, you didn't.

    >So...... I looked in control panel add/remove programs list and it is no
    >longer there. I looked in msconfig and it is not there.I looked in Task
    >Manager applications and it does not show that it is running.
    >
    >However, When I searched for "outpost" it found the entire folder. I
    >renamed outpost.exe, to outpost.bak and re booted. All now works.
    >
    >So..... Should I reinstall outpost and then un install it again? Or, can
    >I just delete the entire folder?

    Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
    CORRECTLY.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2003
  8. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:04:28 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >
    >>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:42:11 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    >>.
    >>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:22:13 -0500, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >>>Are you absolutely sure your firewall is set up correctly?

    >>I figured it out but I still do not fully understand it. The clue was
    >>when Outpost asked me for permission to do something. This was extremely
    >>odd because I un -installed outpost shortly after installing it.

    >Reading the rest of your response, not correctly, you didn't.
    >
    >>So...... I looked in control panel add/remove programs list and it is no
    >>longer there. I looked in msconfig and it is not there.I looked in Task
    >>Manager applications and it does not show that it is running.
    >>
    >>However, When I searched for "outpost" it found the entire folder. I
    >>renamed outpost.exe, to outpost.bak and re booted. All now works.
    >>
    >>So..... Should I reinstall outpost and then un install it again? Or, can
    >>I just delete the entire folder?

    >Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
    >CORRECTLY.

    I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
    same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.

    Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
    systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.

    In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
    it.

    All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
    place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
    Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
    be minimized to see what was behind them.

    At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 16, 2003
  9. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:48:50 -0500, in
    <>
    Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:

    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
    >>CORRECTLY.

    >I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
    >same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.
    >
    >Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
    >systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.
    >
    >In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
    >it.
    >
    >All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
    >place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
    >Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
    >be minimized to see what was behind them.
    >
    >At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.

    That is baloney. Outpost performs exactly as it should, during install,
    during operation, *and* during uninstall. There is something wrong
    with either your system, or the way you are doing things.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 16, 2003
  10. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:59:08 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, °Mike° <> posted:
    ..
    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:48:50 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bill Schowengerdt scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:42 +0100, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>>Yes, rename the file back to the original, reinstall and uninstall,
    >>>CORRECTLY.

    >>I renamed the file, then still having the download, I reinstalled in the
    >>same place.It still does not appear in any of the above mentioned places.
    >>
    >>Nor is there any apparent indication it is running. Nothing in the
    >>systray. However, it can be found in Task Manager on the Processes list.
    >>
    >>In order to uninstall it I had to find uninstall in the folder and run
    >>it.
    >>
    >>All of which server to remind me why I did not like Outpost in the first
    >>place. It did not behave like a fully compliant Windows program should.
    >>Help files did not scroll with the scroll wheel, and pages must actually
    >>be minimized to see what was behind them.
    >>
    >>At any rate, problem is now solved. I again thank you for your help.

    >That is baloney. Outpost performs exactly as it should, during install,
    >during operation, *and* during uninstall. There is something wrong
    >with either your system, or the way you are doing things.

    I have no doubt that what you say is true. My experience was different.
    My download seemed fine and installed fine.

    I do not know why it behaved differently, and at this point it does not
    matter to me. I know you often recommend the program thus I was surprised
    that it worked oddly.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 16, 2003