Re: Pixel count forecast

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Nov 21, 2009.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 21, 4:34 am, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > What's your forecast of the pixel count level in five years
    >
    > 1. of a compact camera (we've reached 15MP)
    > 2. APS-C DLSR (current level: 18MP)
    > 3. "full frame" DLSR (current level: 24MP)
    >
    > I wouldn't expect too much increase in the compact sector, but APS-C and
    > especially full frame DSLRs should still increase a lot. Maybe we'll be
    > at 25-30MP with APS-C and 40MP with full frame DSLRs.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    I think not much more. Reason being that even if they develop sensor
    technologies to suppress noise sufficiently to permit more megapixels,
    the lens quality needed to support the sensors to get more resolution
    will be too expensive for the cameras.
    Rich, Nov 21, 2009

  2. Rich

    Glen Guest

    On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:09:16 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    wrote this:

    >On Nov 21, 4:34 am, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >> What's your forecast of the pixel count level in five years
    >>
    >> 1. of a compact camera (we've reached 15MP)
    >> 2. APS-C DLSR (current level: 18MP)
    >> 3. "full frame" DLSR (current level: 24MP)
    >>
    >> I wouldn't expect too much increase in the compact sector, but APS-C and
    >> especially full frame DSLRs should still increase a lot. Maybe we'll be
    >> at 25-30MP with APS-C and 40MP with full frame DSLRs.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Alfred Molon

    >I think not much more. Reason being that even if they develop sensor
    >technologies to suppress noise sufficiently to permit more megapixels,
    >the lens quality needed to support the sensors to get more resolution
    >will be too expensive for the cameras.

    Unless they are made of........plastic!!!
    ..

    In the fifth century B.C., the Greek historian Herodotus
    described modernity as a demigod who mutters angrily
    at us, demanding that we entertain fantasy in place of
    dull rigid fact.
    Glen, Nov 21, 2009

  3. Rich

    Reality Guest

    On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:22:28 +0000, Glen <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:09:16 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    >wrote this:
    >
    >>On Nov 21, 4:34 am, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >>> What's your forecast of the pixel count level in five years
    >>>
    >>> 1. of a compact camera (we've reached 15MP)
    >>> 2. APS-C DLSR (current level: 18MP)
    >>> 3. "full frame" DLSR (current level: 24MP)
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't expect too much increase in the compact sector, but APS-C and
    >>> especially full frame DSLRs should still increase a lot. Maybe we'll be
    >>> at 25-30MP with APS-C and 40MP with full frame DSLRs.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Alfred Molon

    >>I think not much more. Reason being that even if they develop sensor
    >>technologies to suppress noise sufficiently to permit more megapixels,
    >>the lens quality needed to support the sensors to get more resolution
    >>will be too expensive for the cameras.

    >Unless they are made of........plastic!!!
    >.

    Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    fluorite designs.
    Reality, Nov 22, 2009
  4. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Reality <> wrote:
    >Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    >geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    >fluorite designs.

    That must explain why people keep using those expensive flourite lenses
    instead of just casting plastic ones.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 22, 2009
  5. Rich

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 22 Nov 2009 18:43:43 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Reality <> wrote:
    >>Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    >>geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    >>fluorite designs.

    >That must explain why people keep using those expensive flourite lenses
    >instead of just casting plastic ones.

    I didn't know they made lenses out of fish tank bottom material!
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteBlackSand.html

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Nov 22, 2009
  6. Rich

    Reality Guest

    On 22 Nov 2009 18:43:43 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Reality <> wrote:
    >>Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    >>geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    >>fluorite designs.

    >That must explain why people keep using those expensive flourite lenses
    >instead of just casting plastic ones.

    No, it's due to idiot brainless consumers like you who would belittle any
    lenses made with superior optical plastics.
    Reality, Nov 23, 2009
  7. Rich

    ransley Guest

    On Nov 22, 3:00 am, Reality <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:22:28 +0000, Glen <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:09:16 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    > >wrote this:

    > >>I think not much more.  Reason being that even if they develop sensor
    > >>technologies to suppress noise sufficiently to permit more megapixels,
    > >>the lens quality needed to support the sensors to get more resolution
    > >>will be too expensive for the cameras.

    > >Unless they are made of........plastic!!!
    > >.

    > Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    > geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    > fluorite designs.- Hide quoted text -

    Then why are the most expensive-best, glass.
    ransley, Nov 23, 2009
  8. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Reality <> wrote:
    > (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Reality <> wrote:
    >>>Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    >>>geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    >>>fluorite designs.

    >>That must explain why people keep using those expensive flourite lenses
    >>instead of just casting plastic ones.

    >No, it's due to idiot brainless consumers like you who would belittle any

    Go away, dumbshit troll.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 23, 2009
  9. On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:57:25 +1000, Bob Larter <>
    wrote:

    >Reality wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:22:28 +0000, Glen <> wrote:

    >>> Unless they are made of........plastic!!!
    >>> .

    >> Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    >> geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    >> fluorite designs.

    >LOL.

    Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
    Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
    alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
    Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."

    <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>

    "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."
    Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up., Nov 25, 2009
  10. Rich

    Bob Larter Guest

    Reality wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:22:28 +0000, Glen <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:09:16 -0800 (PST), Rich <>
    >> wrote this:

    >>> I think not much more. Reason being that even if they develop sensor
    >>> technologies to suppress noise sufficiently to permit more megapixels,
    >>> the lens quality needed to support the sensors to get more resolution
    >>> will be too expensive for the cameras.

    >> Unless they are made of........plastic!!!
    >> .

    > Plastic lens elements can be easily configured for less CA, more complex
    > geometries, etc. Plastic lenses can easily out perform the most exotic
    > fluorite designs.

    LOL.

    Bob Larter, Nov 25, 2009