Re: PIR interfering with wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Clint Sharp, Jan 31, 2009.

  1. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <>, Peter Hucker
    <> writes
    >We have a wireless network at work which appears to have gone downhill
    >since the workmen installed PIRs for the burglar alarm. One of them in
    >particular appears to cause dropped packets the closer a laptop is to
    >it. Is this possible?? It's not a wireless PIR as far as I know, as I
    >can see some leftover cable he was using which is a multicore (about 10
    >cores) type similar to phone systems, so I assume this is for the
    >signal aswell as power.

    They will likely be 'dual-tech' detectors, they use RADAR and PIR to
    detect intruders and only when both detect movement is the alarm
    triggered. It's to prevent falsing, the combination of both types is a
    quite neat solution to draughty rooms or rooms which have RADAR
    transparent walls.

    Don't know what band the RADAR usually uses but it would not surprise me
    in the slightest if they were 2.4GHz or some frequency that has
    harmonics in the 2.4GHz range.

    --
    Clint Sharp
    Clint Sharp, Jan 31, 2009