Re: PIR interfering with wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    > think now they are also motion sensors? Perhaps this means they are
    > sending out a signal and > bouncing it off you? Perhaps this could
    > interfere with wireless networking?

    That could very well be. Particularly if they operate in the Ghz band.

    1. Set the WAPs to a different channel. Becareful of channel conflicts if
    you do that,...3 WAPs that are close together with overlapping signals have
    to use 1, 6 & 11 because they have to be separated by a value of
    "5",...unless you are doing "roaming". You can't have 4 or more overlaping
    because there is not enough room in the channels.

    2. Replace the WAPs with ones that run at a higher frequency like the N band
    or the older A band. These run at 5ghz instead of the 2.x ghz of the B and
    G's.

    3. Have the PIRs moved to a more stategic location that won't get in the way
    of the WLAN.

    That's all I can think of.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009

  2. "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    > I tend to have just enough WAPs to cover every area, and have found that
    > if they are close, I
    > need a difference of only TWO channels (eg use channel 3 and 5), and if
    > they are only just visible
    > from one point, then a gap of 1 is enough (eg using channel 4 and 5).

    They may seem to work but you can still loose signal. You are loosing the
    signal "width" because the overlapped part is "lost", or more accuartely,
    "destroyed". The width of the signal takes up more than one channel. They
    need to be separated by 5.

    ----Channel Options in overlaping areas----
    Single WAP = any channel
    Two WAPs = 1,6 or 2,7 or 3,8 or 4,9 or 5,10 or 6,11
    Three WAPs = 1,6,11 This is the only option, no other options
    Four WAPs = none available for 4 WAPs unless using roaming

    > What annoys me is they (mostly Belkins) have an "Auto" setting which
    > simply does not work. I
    > put them all on auto and they all chose channel 1 and killed each other.
    > When they detect
    > something else on the same channel they seem to just shut down,
    > permanently (until I power
    > cycle them).

    Home user products,.....home user quality.

    Home-User WAPS = $50 - $80
    Commercial quality WAPS = $200 - $1500 (and maybe more)

    >> 2. Replace the WAPs with ones that run at a higher frequency like the N
    >> band
    >> or the older A band. These run at 5ghz instead of the 2.x ghz of the B
    >> and
    >> G's.

    > I've heard of B (11Mbit) and G (54Mbit) - all but one we have is G 54
    > Mbit.

    I'm not talking about the IP thoughtput speed,...I'm talking about the
    frequency Band of the radio signal.

    > PIRs. They were always fine with the old PIRS, so it's up to the builders
    > to fix the problem they
    > have caused. I just want to make sure it is actually caused by the PIRs.

    Kill the power to the PIR,...if the WAP starts acting better, ..then it was
    the PIR.
    Contact the vendor of the PIRs. Maybe they have adjustments that can be
    made with the PIRs.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Phillip Windell

    PeeGee Guest

    Phillip Windell wrote:
    > "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    >> I tend to have just enough WAPs to cover every area, and have found that
    >> if they are close, I
    >> need a difference of only TWO channels (eg use channel 3 and 5), and if
    >> they are only just visible
    >> from one point, then a gap of 1 is enough (eg using channel 4 and 5).

    > They may seem to work but you can still loose signal. You are loosing the
    > signal "width" because the overlapped part is "lost", or more accuartely,
    > "destroyed". The width of the signal takes up more than one channel. They
    > need to be separated by 5.
    >
    > ----Channel Options in overlaping areas----
    > Single WAP = any channel
    > Two WAPs = 1,6 or 2,7 or 3,8 or 4,9 or 5,10 or 6,11
    > Three WAPs = 1,6,11 This is the only option, no other options

    This being "uk.comp. ", what's wrong with 7,12 and 8,13
    2,7,12 and 3,8,13 ?

    > Four WAPs = none available for 4 WAPs unless using roaming

    --
    PeeGee

    to be removed from a computer easily."

    PeeGee, Jan 30, 2009
  4. "PeeGee" <> wrote in message
    >> ----Channel Options in overlaping areas----
    >> Single WAP = any channel
    >> Two WAPs = 1,6 or 2,7 or 3,8 or 4,9 or 5,10 or 6,11
    >> Three WAPs = 1,6,11 This is the only option, no other options

    > This being "uk.comp. ", what's wrong with 7,12 and 8,13
    > 2,7,12 and 3,8,13 ?

    Ah, yea. Sorry, I was thinking in a US context.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009
  5. "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    >> This being "uk.comp. ", what's wrong with 7,12 and 8,13
    >> 2,7,12 and 3,8,13 ?

    > I assume you're referring to his lack of channel 12 and 13. Does only the
    > UK do 12 and 13?

    Yes, I believe that is the case. We have too much "stuff" flying around in
    the air over here, so in some situations we don't have as much available for
    certain things. I think some of that stuff is going to get shifted around
    some more after all the TV Stations switch from analog to digital which is
    going to free up some room in some places (BTW - we are an NBC Affiliated
    TV Station).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009
  6. "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    > Hmph. They don't state they won't work if there are more than one. And
    > why say "automatic" when it just doesn't? In fact the slightly more
    > expensive Cisco one we have is a right bugger to get going. I hate Cisco
    > stuff.

    Yes, I've found Cisco WAPs to be a real pain to setup too. In fact I don't
    even remember how to do them without picking through all their config
    "pages" again.

    > I know. Aren't B and G different frequency bands too? If I get ones on a
    > different frequency, surely the NICs on the laptops won't work anymore?
    > They are designed for G are they not, which is 2.4GHz.

    I think the "B" and the "G" has something more to do with the Encoding in
    the signal, with G being "backward compatible" with B so a G WAP can still
    work with a B Nic. But both B and G are 2.4GHz,. The A is 5GHz and I think
    N can do both (?).

    > Maybe they are put in to detect laptop use at night ;-)

    <hehe>,..well, I'd ask them and see what they think about all this. Surely
    they have run into something like this before.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009
  7. "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message

    > Weird, I thought WAPS and NICs could be taken between countries and just
    > work? If all the channels are different....

    Well,...kinda,...sorta,....maybe,...a little. The individual channnels are
    probably the same,...it is the usuable range of channels (1-11 -vs- 1-13)
    that is different.

    There are regional differences in electonic equipment. Heck even TV is
    different,...with analog TV the UK is the PAL standard,..the US uses NTSC.
    I'n not sure with Dgital TV what happens.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 30, 2009
  8. Phillip Windell

    PeeGee Guest

    Phillip Windell wrote:
    > "PeeGee" <> wrote in message
    >>> ----Channel Options in overlaping areas----
    >>> Single WAP = any channel
    >>> Two WAPs = 1,6 or 2,7 or 3,8 or 4,9 or 5,10 or 6,11
    >>> Three WAPs = 1,6,11 This is the only option, no other options

    >> This being "uk.comp. ", what's wrong with 7,12 and 8,13
    >> 2,7,12 and 3,8,13 ?

    > Ah, yea. Sorry, I was thinking in a US context.

    ....and I missed the other groups :-(

    PeeGee, Jan 30, 2009
  9. Phillip Windell

    PeeGee Guest

    Phillip Windell wrote:
    > "Peter Hucker" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Weird, I thought WAPS and NICs could be taken between countries and just
    >> work? If all the channels are different....

    > Well,...kinda,...sorta,....maybe,...a little. The individual channnels are
    > probably the same,...it is the usuable range of channels (1-11 -vs- 1-13)
    > that is different.

    802.11 allows 1-13 I believe, though some countries have added a channel
    14 while others (mainly continental America) disallow 12 and 13.

    PeeGee, Jan 30, 2009