Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Jan 29, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 29/01/2013 9:26 PM, bugbear wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >>
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >>
    >> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    >> document civil war re-enactments.
    >>
    >> One of my favourites:
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysburg149.jpg
    >>

    >> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens
    >> adaptor and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may
    >> be quite noise prone, however...

    > Just take multiple exposures at a duration where noise isn't an issue,
    > and merge (average) them.
    >
    > It's what astrophotographers do all the time.
    >
    > BugBear

    Would taking multiple exposures work in this situation - pinhole shots
    do give a soft image. An example, a busy crowded building long exposure
    gives a soft movement within the people and sharp edges of walls and
    corners. Astro shots - individual shots render a sharp star trail.

    May have to try and see what happens.

    Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film,
    long and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to
    cope with.
    Rob, Jan 29, 2013

  2. Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > On 2013.01.29 08:37 , Rob wrote:

    >> Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film, long
    >> and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to cope
    >> with.

    > What digital makes up for in reciprocity failure it more than
    > compensates for in noise...

    Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
    averaged over multiple exposures easily?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 3, 2013

  3. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/3/2013 12:31 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >> On 2013.01.29 08:37 , Rob wrote:

    >>> Interesting - digital is a whole new ball game as compared to film, long
    >>> and short exposures don't seem to have that reciprocity failure to cope
    >>> with.

    >> What digital makes up for in reciprocity failure it more than
    >> compensates for in noise...

    > Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
    > averaged over multiple exposures easily?
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    Obviously, you have never shot film.

    Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
    information to show how wrong you are.
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

    --
    PeterN
    Beware the trolling wolf
    PeterN, Feb 5, 2013
  4. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/4/2013 9:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-04 16:43:25 -0800, PeterN <> said:

    >>> Whereas good old chemical film is grain free and can be
    >>> averaged over multiple exposures easily?
    >>>
    >>> -Wolfgang
    >>>

    >> Obviously, you have never shot film.
    >>
    >> Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
    >> information to show how wrong you are.
    >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

    > I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
    > Teutonic sarcasm.

    I missed it.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 5, 2013
  5. PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 2/4/2013 9:12 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Obviously, you have never shot film.

    >>> Although I do not like to ust cite Wikepedia, there is sufficient
    >>> information to show how wrong you are.
    >>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain>

    >> I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
    >> Teutonic sarcasm.

    > I missed it.

    Don't feel bad, it was very subtle, sort of like the bombardment
    and the subsequent landing in Normandy.
    The Führer *knew* the real landing would happen in Calais.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 7, 2013
  6. Rob

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/7/2013 9:57 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> I have a feeling you are responding to Wolfgang's demonstration of
    >>> Teutonic sarcasm.

    >> I missed it.

    > Don't feel bad, it was very subtle, sort of like the bombardment
    > and the subsequent landing in Normandy.
    > The Führer *knew* the real landing would happen in Calais.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    So speaks the "Teutonic Knight" of Usenet!

    John
    John Turco, Feb 10, 2013