Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Jan 29, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 28/01/2013 4:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

    > I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    > and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    > noise prone, however...

    Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.

    You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
    close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
    stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually use
    a thick sewing (darning) needle.

    Rob, Jan 29, 2013

  2. Rob

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2013-01-29, Rob <> wrote:
    > On 28/01/2013 4:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>

    >> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >> noise prone, however...
    >>

    > Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.
    >
    > You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
    > close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
    > stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually use
    > a thick sewing (darning) needle.

    The "state of the art" method for making a photographic pinhole, as I
    recall, is to use a centre-punch (or a good round nail) to make a dent in a
    piece of metal sheeting, and then gently file off the dimple. That gives
    reasonably good control over the shape and size of the hole - but getting a
    really small hole of a precise size isn't easy!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 29, 2013

  3. The real state of the art for pinholes is twofold:

    1) Laser drilling
    or
    2) spark erosion drilling

    Both make nice pinholes down to about 0.001 inch. Lasers go smaller.

    One can buy such pinholes at reasonable prices (i.e. a few to a few tens of dollars).

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Jan 29, 2013
  4. Rob

    me Guest

    me, Jan 29, 2013
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 30/01/2013 7:57 AM, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2013-01-29, Rob <> wrote:
    >> On 28/01/2013 4:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >>> noise prone, however...
    >>>

    >> Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.
    >>
    >> You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
    >> close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
    >> stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually use
    >> a thick sewing (darning) needle.

    > The "state of the art" method for making a photographic pinhole, as I
    > recall, is to use a centre-punch (or a good round nail) to make a dent in a
    > piece of metal sheeting, and then gently file off the dimple. That gives
    > reasonably good control over the shape and size of the hole - but getting a
    > really small hole of a precise size isn't easy!

    Size doesn't matter, its the desired results.

    Rob, Jan 30, 2013
  6. Rob

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2013-01-30, Rob <> wrote:
    > On 30/01/2013 7:57 AM, Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.
    >>>
    >>> You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
    >>> close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
    >>> stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually
    >>> use a thick sewing (darning) needle.

    >> The "state of the art" method for making a photographic pinhole, as I
    >> recall, is to use a centre-punch (or a good round nail) to make a dent
    >> in a piece of metal sheeting, and then gently file off the dimple. That
    >> gives reasonably good control over the shape and size of the hole - but
    >> getting a really small hole of a precise size isn't easy!
    >>

    > Size doesn't matter, its the desired results.

    Well a big hole makes for a faster exposure but less sharpness, so size
    does matter! (Calculate the aperture by dividing the diameter of the hole
    into the distance from the hole to the film; eg if the hole is 1mm diameter
    and 100mm from the film, the aperture is 1/100 - usually expressed as 1:100
    or f/100. There will be about 1mm of fuzzines in the image in this
    example).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 30, 2013
  7. Rob

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2013-01-29, Doug McDonald <> wrote:
    > The real state of the art for pinholes is twofold:
    >
    > 1) Laser drilling or 2) spark erosion drilling
    >
    > Both make nice pinholes down to about 0.001 inch. Lasers go smaller.
    >
    > One can buy such pinholes at reasonable prices (i.e. a few to a few tens
    > of dollars).
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    Oddly enough, though, whereas I can easily lay hands on a bit of bean can
    and a nail and a rough lump of rock (or even a hammer and a file!), I can't
    seem to find either a laser drill or a spark erosion drill in my tool box
    ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 30, 2013
  8. Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2013-01-30, Rob <> wrote:

    [Pinhole photography]

    >> Size doesn't matter, its the desired results.

    > Well a big hole makes for a faster exposure but less sharpness, so size
    > does matter!

    Well, a small hole makes for a slower exposure but less
    sharpness as well, so size does matter. (Think Airy disk)

    > (Calculate the aperture by dividing the diameter of the hole
    > into the distance from the hole to the film; eg if the hole is 1mm diameter
    > and 100mm from the film, the aperture is 1/100 - usually expressed as 1:100
    > or f/100. There will be about 1mm of fuzzines in the image in this
    > example).

    The optimal pinhole is perfectly round and has a size of
    d = SQRT(2 f λ)
    with f = focal length and λ the wavelength of the light.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 30, 2013
  9. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/30/2013 7:31 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2013.01.29 08:19 , Rob wrote:
    >> On 28/01/2013 4:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >>> noise prone, however...
    >>>

    >> Just noticed this item after reading the exposure problem.
    >>
    >> You can use a body cap and make a pinhole through that, if that is too
    >> close then use an extension tube. Drill a hole through the cap and
    >> stick some aluminium tape and make a pin prick through it. I usually use
    >> a thick sewing (darning) needle.

    > I have an adaptor for Hassy lenses for my A-mount (Sony). So I can
    > "adapt" all manner of extensions to that. Making the aperture itself
    > (alu paper/pin) is the least trouble. I have a micrometer to measure
    > the aperture of the pin or needle and the film plane is well marked to
    > get the FL. I'll probably go for a wide-ish FOV - the adaptor alone
    > will probably be enough.

    I am looking forward to seeing the results.
    please share them.
    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 31, 2013