Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 28, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >
    > A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    > document civil war re-enactments.
    >
    > One of my favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysbu...
    >
    > I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    > and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    > noise prone, however...
    >
    > http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

    >         The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
    >          subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
    >          the viewer to look more deeply,  filling out the blurred
    >          information with their own memories and experiences, making
    >          the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

    > "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
    >   were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
    >                                            -Sir John A. Macdonald

    Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
    sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.
    RichA, Jan 28, 2013

  2. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 29/01/2013 4:10 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > wrote:
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >>
    >> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    >> document civil war re-enactments.
    >>
    >> One of my favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysbu...
    >>
    >> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >> noise prone, however...
    >>
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

    >> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
    >> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
    >> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
    >> information with their own memories and experiences, making
    >> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
    >> were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
    >> -Sir John A. Macdonald

    > Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
    > sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.

    I made a pinhole camera with large format. Normal view which had more
    distance between the pinhole and the film plane. and a wide angle
    shorter distance. Used cake tins. For the film, was using photographic
    paper, processing them, then making a contact print back onto another
    sheet of paper for a positive. The results were quite remarkable, cheap
    to run.

    Another one was made from a 35mm cassette canister wrapped film inside
    hence a panoramic image. This could be used underwater as well. All good
    stuff. Just filled my pockets with loaded canisters and when on a shoot,

    Nik Silver efex software has pinhole filters how do these compare - has
    anyone tried?
    Rob, Jan 28, 2013

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/28/2013 6:55 PM, Rob wrote:
    > On 29/01/2013 4:10 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> On Jan 27, 12:03 pm, Alan Browne <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >>>
    >>> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    >>> document civil war re-enactments.
    >>>
    >>> One of my
    >>> favourites:http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysbu...
    >>>

    >>> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >>> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >>> noise prone, however...
    >>>
    >>> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

    >>> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
    >>> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
    >>> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
    >>> information with their own memories and experiences, making
    >>> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
    >>> were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."
    >>> -Sir John A. Macdonald

    >> Pinhole shots from small formats look pretty dismal. 35mm film,
    >> sensors don't do pinholes "justice." 4x5 looks a lot better.
    >>

    > I made a pinhole camera with large format. Normal view which had more
    > distance between the pinhole and the film plane. and a wide angle
    > shorter distance. Used cake tins. For the film, was using photographic
    > paper, processing them, then making a contact print back onto another
    > sheet of paper for a positive. The results were quite remarkable, cheap
    > to run.
    >
    > Another one was made from a 35mm cassette canister wrapped film inside
    > hence a panoramic image. This could be used underwater as well. All good
    > stuff. Just filled my pockets with loaded canisters and when on a shoot,
    >
    > Nik Silver efex software has pinhole filters how do these compare - has
    > anyone tried?

    Thanks. You just gave me an idea. I have a pinhole for my Lensbaby.
    Perhaps that will be a use for it.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013