Re: Pinhole shots of the Civil War (re-enactments)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jan 27, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    > http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >
    > A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    > document civil war re-enactments.
    >
    > One of my favourites:
    > http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysburg149.jpg
    >

    > I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    > and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    > noise prone, however...
    >
    > http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

    > The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
    > subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
    > the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
    > information with their own memories and experiences, making
    > the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.

    Now there's a guy who found what he likes, and does it well.
    While I agree that pinhole is not for everybody, it certainly produces
    some neat effects.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 27, 2013

  2. PeterN

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > On 1/27/2013 12:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/
    >>
    >> A writeup by the photographer on his pinhole cameras and his quest to
    >> document civil war re-enactments.
    >>
    >> One of my favourites:
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gettysburg149.jpg
    >>

    >> I don't feel like shooting film for such, but I might use a lens adaptor
    >> and shoot some digital pinholes... the very long exposures may be quite
    >> noise prone, however...
    >>
    >> http://civilwar150pinholeproject.com/pinhole-cameras/

    >> The pinholes’ soft focus image captures the essence of the
    >> subject without the distractions of detail. This encourages
    >> the viewer to look more deeply, filling out the blurred
    >> information with their own memories and experiences, making
    >> the viewer a participant in each image he or she encounters.
    >>

    > Now there's a guy who found what he likes, and does it well.
    > While I agree that pinhole is not for everybody, it certainly produces
    > some neat effects.

    I don't see anything there that couldn't be done more easily in PS from a
    normal digital image/s. But I do support the artists right to make his own
    choices however.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Jan 29, 2013