Re: Ping: RichA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, May 22, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >
    >>For your entertaiment:
    >>
    >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

    >You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!
    >

    >I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair on the way
    >by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
    >the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
    >floor!
    >
    >Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

    The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
    where it locks into the body. That's the most likely point of damage.
    If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the join
    point, there might not be any damage.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 22, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    RichA Guest

    On May 21, 10:47 pm, Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:21 -0400, wrote:
    > >On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:57:37 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:

    > >>For your entertaiment:

    > >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_F0RTaFhgcA#!

    > >You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

    > >I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair onthe way
    > >by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
    > >the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
    > >floor!

    > >Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

    > The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
    > where it locks into the body.  That's the most likely point of damage.
    > If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the join
    > point, there might not be any damage.
    >
    > >I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago, no damage
    > >then either.

    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    If the the lenses had metal bayonets, then it's likely screws would
    have been ripped from the lens, or the camera body's bayonet, unless
    the screws went into a metal chassis.

    RichA, May 22, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On May 21, 10:47 pm, Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    >>> You can't come to a conclusion with 1 test drop... that is just stupid!

    >>> I once was running thru my house and grabbed my Nikon D60 off a chair on the way
    >>> by, but the strap caught and pulled the camera out of my hand and also released
    >>> the snag, and I ended up "bowling" it about 10 feet down my cement basement
    >>> floor!

    >>> Absolutely no damage to the camera, just to my heart!

    >> The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
    >> where it locks into the body. That's the most likely point of damage.
    >> If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the join
    >> point, there might not be any damage.
    >>
    >>> I also did a similar trick to my Minolta F9 film camera years ago, no damage
    >>> then either.

    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    > If the the lenses had metal bayonets, then it's likely screws would
    > have been ripped from the lens, or the camera body's bayonet, unless
    > the screws went into a metal chassis.

    I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was a
    $450 repair at Nikon.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 22, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    RichA Guest

    On May 22, 8:40 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:

    > >> The D40, and several other Nikons, have plastic flanges on the lens
    > >> where it locks into the body.  That's the most likely point of damage.
    > >> If it doesn't hit at the end of the lens and cause torque at the join
    > >> point, there might not be any damage.

    > >> --
    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    > > If the the lenses had metal bayonets, then it's likely screws would
    > > have been ripped from the lens, or the camera body's bayonet, unless
    > > the screws went into a metal chassis.

    > I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was a
    > $450 repair at Nikon.
    >
    > --
    > PeterN

    Because it's so heavy, it's like a 400lb man jumping off a building.
    Guess what happens when he hits the pavement?
    Either that, or Nikon just charged a lot.

    RichA, May 23, 2013
  5. PeterN <> wrote:

    > I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was a
    > $450 repair at Nikon.

    Well, with Nikon you're only allowed to drop wide-angle lenses,
    for dropping tele lenses you need to buy Canon. :->

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 23, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/23/2013 8:28 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:32:24 -0700, RichA wrote:
    >
    >> On May 22, 8:40 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    >>> On 5/22/2013 1:53 AM, RichA wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> I dropped my 70-200, which is a solid lens. No glass broke, but it was
    >>> a $450 repair at Nikon.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> PeterN

    >> Because it's so heavy, it's like a 400lb man jumping off a building.
    >> Guess what happens when he hits the pavement?
    >> Either that, or Nikon just charged a lot.

    > Just think about what has to be done.
    >
    > Strip the lens down and inspect, clean and repair the parts. Then
    > reassemble the lens on an optical bench resetting each component as
    > assembled. Final check to guarantee the work.
    >
    > All this by very expensive craftsmen using expensive tools and knowledge.

    I was happy to pay the price. Rich stated that plastic parts in lenses
    are easily damaged. My only reason for posting was to show that well
    built professional lenses can be easily damaged, too. Did I say the
    whole thing was my fault for being careless.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 23, 2013