Re: Pigeon Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Oct 17, 2012.

  1. philo

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:09:17 PM UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    > >I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing

    > >pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    > You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    >
    > the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    >
    > over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    >
    > machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    >
    > 19th century.
    >

    > Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    You sound like the P&S troll.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 20, 2012

  2. philo

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 04:26:52 -0700 (PDT),
    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    >On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:06:30 AM UTC+1, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
    >>
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to

    >> >the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed

    >> >over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax

    >> >machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late

    >> >19th century.

    >> >Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    >> Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
    >>
    >> always snooping about - though their range is not
    >>
    >> great.
    >>
    >> http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-milton-pets-eye-view-camera-lightning-review
    >>
    >> http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/06/cat-cam-roams-greenwood-gets-on-tv/
    >>
    >> http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-dog-pet-s-eye-view-camera.aspx
    >>

    >> Cats have been spied on too. In one notorious
    >>
    >> example an owner installed a videocam pointed at
    >>
    >> the cat basket where the subject was sleeping, and
    >>
    >> the report went like this:
    >>

    >> 8.00am - 12.00noon: Cat asleep.
    >>
    >> 12.05pm Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and goes back
    >>
    >> to sleep.
    >>

    >> 6.00pm: Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and
    >>
    >> perambulates slowly towards and sits by the
    >>
    >> refrigerator.
    >>

    >> Day over.

    >Did a similar thing a few years back, but not attached to the cat.
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RL4FLHzBw&feature=plcp
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNeKgu1k34
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

    Very funny. The cat door seems higher than that
    recommended, but this makes no difference?

    Peter Jason, Oct 24, 2012

  3. Peter Jason <> wrote:
    [pigeon camera]

    > Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
    > always snooping about - though their range is not
    > great.

    You want more range, get a larger cat: siberian tigers are known
    to have rather large territory. Circumstantial evidence seems
    to indicate neighbour children aren't very safe in the vincinity
    of free ranging tigers. But then neither are burgulars, so it
    evens out.

    :->

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 31, 2012
  4. DanP <> wrote:
    > On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:09:17 PM UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
    >> "philo" <> wrote:

    >> >I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >> >pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    >> You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    >> the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    >> over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    >> machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    >> 19th century.

    >> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    > You sound like the P&S troll.

    Naah. The P&S troll advocated a certain type of camera, the
    Bruiser denigrates one. So how is the Bruiser gonna fake photos
    he claims he has *not* made with the Lytro to "prove" that the
    Lytro is *not* capable of anything?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 31, 2012
  5. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:33:20 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>You want more range, get a larger cat: siberian tigers are known
    >>to have rather large territory. Circumstantial evidence seems
    >>to indicate neighbour children aren't very safe in the vincinity
    >>of free ranging tigers. But then neither are burgulars, so it
    >>evens out.

    >>:->

    > In some neighbourhoods there isn't much difference.

    Yep, in these neighbourhoods a tiger will cost less than usual:
    at first it's food is free and later on you save by not being
    burgled or molested by drug dealers and gangs.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 5, 2012
  6. philo

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:05:23 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 00:07:57 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:33:20 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>> In some neighbourhoods there isn't much difference.

    >>Yep, in these neighbourhoods a tiger will cost less than usual:
    >>at first it's food is free and later on you save by not being
    >>burgled or molested by drug dealers and gangs.
    >>

    >A problem with tigers is that you have to be strong enough to heave
    >something much bigger than a brick at them if want to stop them
    >tigerwauling on the fence at night.

    http://www.theage.com.au/national/homes-wanted-for-zoos-collection-20121107-28yqr.html

    Hop to it.........

    Peter Jason, Nov 7, 2012
  7. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 00:07:57 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:33:20 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>> In some neighbourhoods there isn't much difference.

    >>Yep, in these neighbourhoods a tiger will cost less than usual:
    >>at first it's food is free and later on you save by not being
    >>burgled or molested by drug dealers and gangs.

    > A problem with tigers is that you have to be strong enough to heave
    > something much bigger than a brick at them if want to stop them
    > tigerwauling on the fence at night.

    You're *supposed* to give them a roof, not just a fence ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 12, 2012
  8. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 02:28:07 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >>> A problem with tigers is that you have to be strong enough to heave
    >>> something much bigger than a brick at them if want to stop them
    >>> tigerwauling on the fence at night.

    >>You're *supposed* to give them a roof, not just a fence ...

    > Not just a roof but a bed.
    > http://www.directoryofcats.com/balinese_cat.jpg

    They will usually allow you to sleep in their bed and to live
    in their house, so that's not a problem. And sometimes, you're
    their mattress.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 17, 2012
  9. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:45:38 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:

    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 02:28:07 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>> Not just a roof but a bed.
    >>> http://www.directoryofcats.com/balinese_cat.jpg

    >>They will usually allow you to sleep in their bed and to live
    >>in their house, so that's not a problem. And sometimes, you're
    >>their mattress.

    > Also their bed warmer.

    I don't fit into many of their sleeping places. Nor would
    they survive my weight.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 5, 2012