Re: Pigeon Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Oct 17, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Oct 17, 2012

  2. philo

    Bruce Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    >I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    19th century.

    Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 17, 2012

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/17/2012 03:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >> pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    > You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    > the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    > over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    > machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    > 19th century.
    >
    > Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
    however it seems much prior to the 40's.

    anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read them
    any more

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 17, 2012
  4. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    >On 10/17/2012 03:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
    >> "philo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >>> pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    >> You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    >> the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    >> over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    >> machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    >> 19th century.
    >>
    >> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)
    >>

    >I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
    >however it seems much prior to the 40's.
    >
    >anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read them
    >any more

    You wouldn't know "tedious" if it smacked you in the face.

    Your reports on the Lytro camera are among the most tedious pieces of
    writing that I have ever encountered, anywhere, in my 55 years of
    reading.

    Bruce, Oct 17, 2012
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/17/2012 06:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-17 14:12:15 -0700, philo <> said:
    >>
    >> I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
    >> however it seems much prior to the 40's.
    >>
    >> anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read
    >> them any more

    > "Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
    > pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
    > ...in 1904!!

    I plonked that idiot

    sheesh
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/17/2012 06:20 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.10.17 17:59 , Bruce wrote:
    >
    >>> I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
    >>> however it seems much prior to the 40's.
    >>>
    >>> anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read them
    >>> any more

    >> You wouldn't know "tedious" if it smacked you in the face.

    > Another tedious attack-the-man post from Tony Polson (aka "Bruce").

    That's ok the idiot was plonked...

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/17/2012 06:16 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.10.17 16:09 , Tony Polson (aka "Bruce") wrote:
    >> "philo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using
    >>> homing
    >>> pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    >> You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to

    > He never claimed photographs you supercilious jerk.
    >

    > Which is 100X more useful than any camera in
    > Tony Polson's (aka "Bruce") hands. Ooooohhhh there goes a train ... run
    > Tony, run!

    I realized the guy was a troll as there would be no way to "wire in" an
    undeveloped roll of film. Anyway in one of the photo books I have...I
    think from the 40's the news reporters were sending their film back to
    the newspaper by the use of homing pigeons.
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/17/2012 07:08 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.10.17 19:52 , philo wrote:
    >>>

    >> I realized the guy was a troll as there would be no way to "wire in" an
    >> undeveloped roll of film. Anyway in one of the photo books I have...I
    >> think from the 40's the news reporters were sending their film back to
    >> the newspaper by the use of homing pigeons.

    > Once Tony Polson (aka "Bruce") saw his error (and probably checked) it
    > was beneath his fragile ego to acknowledge it.

    No big deal, he was no the first troll I ran into today.

    I have a tough skin...but little patience.

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  9. philo

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    >"philo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >>pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    >You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    >the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    >over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    >machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    >19th century.
    >
    >Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
    always snooping about - though their range is not
    great.
    http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-milton-pets-eye-view-camera-lightning-review
    http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/06/cat-cam-roams-greenwood-gets-on-tv/
    http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-dog-pet-s-eye-view-camera.aspx

    Cats have been spied on too. In one notorious
    example an owner installed a videocam pointed at
    the cat basket where the subject was sleeping, and
    the report went like this:

    8.00am - 12.00noon: Cat asleep.
    12.05pm Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and goes back
    to sleep.

    6.00pm: Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and
    perambulates slowly towards and sits by the
    refrigerator.

    Day over.

    Peter Jason, Oct 18, 2012
  10. philo

    Bruce Guest

    >"Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
    >pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
    >...in 1904!!

    Shouldn't you be posting in rec.photo.digital.bully?

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2012
  11. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    >On 10/17/2012 06:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-10-17 14:12:15 -0700, philo <> said:
    >>>
    >>> I just checked wiki and homing pigeons indeed were used by new agencies
    >>> however it seems much prior to the 40's.
    >>>
    >>> anyway your answers are pretty tedious so I will not bother to read
    >>> them any more

    >> "Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
    >> pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
    >> ...in 1904!!
    >>

    >I plonked that idiot

    Like you said you did twice before, but you still got my messages?

    >sheesh

    I couldn't have put it better.

    The definition of an idiot is someone who plonks down $400 for a nasty
    piece of plastic called a Lytro then lamely admits that he cannot find
    a use for it. Don't say you weren't warned. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2012
  12. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/18/2012 09:58 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 10/17/12 9:05 PM, in article ,
    > "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
    >> <> wrote:

    >> Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
    >> always snooping about - though their range is not
    >> great.
    >> http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-milton-pets-eye-view-camera-lightning-review
    >> http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/06/cat-cam-roams-greenwood-gets-on-tv/
    >> http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-dog-pet-s-eye-view-camera.aspx

    <snipped for brevity>

    >> Day over.
    >>

    > You might find this more adventurous:
    >
    > <http://www.newson6.com/story/14870212/philbrook-museum-launches-new-cat-cam
    > s>

    Interesting. It's funny but just last week I was wondering if I could
    put a camera on my cat to see where he goes.
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  13. philo

    Bruce Guest

    >I guess I should have completed my thoughts before I pulled the
    >trigger on my response.

    It happens when the compulsion to bully people over-rides all else.

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2012
  14. philo

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2012-10-18 08:59:50 -0700, Bruce <> said:

    >>> I guess I should have completed my thoughts before I pulled the
    >>> trigger on my response.

    >> It happens when the compulsion to bully people over-rides all else.

    >Again, accusation without evidence.

    On the contrary, there is plenty of evidence.

    There's a long trail of slime for a start.

    Bruce, Oct 18, 2012
  15. philo

    Rob Guest

    On 18/10/2012 10:12 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Tony/Bruce's" pompous ass would have been far more impressed if the
    >> pigeon was flying with a D4 strapped to its belly.
    >> ...in 1904!!

    > Shouldn't you be posting in rec.photo.digital.bully?

    or just pigeon holed

    Rob, Oct 18, 2012
  16. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/18/2012 11:10 AM, Chemiker wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "philo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing
    >>> pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    >> You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to
    >> the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed
    >> over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax
    >> machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late
    >> 19th century.
    >>
    >> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    > Sorry, word is that pigeons were used in WW-II by war correspondents
    > who had no access to other methods. IIRC, the movie The Longest Day
    > had an amusing scene in which a correspondent attempted to use pigeons
    > to send info back to England, and his pigeons flew east rather than
    > west! He called them "traitors"......

    I later realized the guy who wrote that was a troll
    so he's now been plonked.
    I realize it's a tough punishment but he deserved it.

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  17. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/18/2012 10:21 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-18 04:15:21 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> philo <> wrote:

    >>> I plonked that idiot

    >> Like you said you did twice before, but you still got my messages?

    I use several news-servers so may not have kf'ed the guy on all of them

    > Just like you KFed Alan Browne.
    > ...and probably me.

    Nope I only kill file idiots and you two don't fit the bill sorry :)

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 18, 2012
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/18/2012 04:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-18 14:46:47 -0700, philo <> said:

    <snip>

    > You seem to have responded to both "Tony/Bruce" and me by mixing
    > attributes.

    There I've snipped out a lot and am sorry if I inadvertently re-posted
    the ramblings of a troll.
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 19, 2012
  19. philo

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:06:30 AM UTC+1, Peter Jason wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"philo" <> wrote:

    > >>I guess back in the 40's or so, sportswriters would sometimes using homing

    > >>pigeons to get their stories back to the paper after a sporting event

    > >You guess wrong, because photographs were 'wired' back via agencies to

    > >the newspaper offices from the 1920s. The technology was developed

    > >over succeeding decades and became the basis for the ubiquitous fax

    > >machine. Stories were wired via telegraph companies from the late

    > >19th century.

    > >Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    > Far more practical is a KittyCam because cats are
    >
    > always snooping about - though their range is not
    >
    > great.
    >
    > http://gizmodo.com/5103278/uncle-milton-pets-eye-view-camera-lightning-review
    >
    > http://www.phinneywood.com/2008/12/06/cat-cam-roams-greenwood-gets-on-tv/
    >
    > http://www.perpetualkid.com/cat-and-dog-pet-s-eye-view-camera.aspx
    >

    > Cats have been spied on too. In one notorious
    >
    > example an owner installed a videocam pointed at
    >
    > the cat basket where the subject was sleeping, and
    >
    > the report went like this:
    >

    > 8.00am - 12.00noon: Cat asleep.
    >
    > 12.05pm Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and goes back
    >
    > to sleep.
    >

    > 6.00pm: Cat wakes, stretches, yawns and
    >
    > perambulates slowly towards and sits by the
    >
    > refrigerator.
    >

    > Day over.

    Did a similar thing a few years back, but not attached to the cat.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RL4FLHzBw&feature=plcp

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNeKgu1k34

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

    Whisky-dave, Oct 19, 2012
  20. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/19/2012 06:55 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > Chemiker wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:37 +0100, Bruce <>
    >> wrote:

    <trolling snipped>

    >>> Homing pigeons? About as useful as your Lytro camera. ;-)

    >> Sorry, word is that pigeons were used in WW-II by war correspondents
    >> who had no access to other methods. IIRC, the movie The Longest Day
    >> had an amusing scene in which a correspondent attempted to use pigeons
    >> to send info back to England, and his pigeons flew east rather than
    >> west! He called them "traitors"......

    > Pigeons were used by SIS and some of the resistance groups in Europe
    > during WW2.

    Turns out the guy who claimed pigeons were not used was just trolling
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Oct 19, 2012