Re: Picture quality question.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jean Gupta, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Jean Gupta

    Jean Gupta Guest

    > > If using a camera with 3x optical zoom and up to 4x digital zoom which of
    > > the below would result in the higher quality picture?

    > > 3x optical + 2x zoom for a total of 6x magnification
    > > or
    > > 3x optical then enlarging 2x using a computer program such as irfanview.

    Never use digital zoom, only optical. If your camera lets you disable digital
    zoom in a menu, do it.
    You will always get better quality from zooming in later with photoshop or other
    software than with the camera's digital zoom. The camera is just doing the
    same thing, but with not as good quality, and once you take the photo that way,
    you can never get the better resolution image back.

    > I just did this experiment two days ago. My camera has 3x optical zoom
    > and 7.5x digital zoom, so it's not too terribly far from the specifications
    > you suggested.
    > I found that taking a picture at maximum optical zoom with no digital zoom
    > and later enlarging using photoshop gave me better quality (more detail -
    > more actual *information*) than using the digital zoom.

    Yes. Never use digital zoom in the camera, you can always do it later with the
    software, you can even zoom in closer, and you will always have better quality
    than if you let the camera crop the photo and save it at lower resolution, which
    is what digital zoom is doing.

    Jean Gupta, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Jean Gupta

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Jean Gupta wrote:

    > Yes. Never use digital zoom in the camera, you can always do it later with the
    > software, you can even zoom in closer, and you will always have better quality
    > than if you let the camera crop the photo and save it at lower resolution, which
    > is what digital zoom is doing.

    This is what I understood, but in a recent (and on-going) thread, it was
    suggested that under some circumstances, with some cameras, with the moon in
    the right quarter and you karma topped up, the digital zoom can provide more
    detail than post-process zooming. In the interest of fairness I did the
    experiment, and for my camera this is *not* the case.
    Digital zoom blows goats.

    Mike Graham, Aug 22, 2003

  3. > > Yes. Never use digital zoom in the camera, you can always do it later with the
    > > software, you can even zoom in closer, and you will always have better quality
    > > than if you let the camera crop the photo and save it at lower resolution, which
    > > is what digital zoom is doing.

    > This is what I understood, but in a recent (and on-going) thread, it was
    > suggested that under some circumstances, with some cameras, with the moon in
    > the right quarter and you karma topped up, the digital zoom can provide more
    > detail than post-process zooming. In the interest of fairness I did the
    > experiment, and for my camera this is *not* the case.
    > Digital zoom blows goats.

    You might as well just save all your photos with the lowest quality JPEG setting or
    trade your 4 megapixel camera in for a 1 megapixel one and get the same quality photos
    as using the digital zoom.

    Steve Jenkins, Aug 22, 2003