Re: Picture quality question.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. > I just did this experiment two days ago. My camera has 3x
    > optical zoom and 7.5x digital zoom, so it's not too terribly
    > far from the specifications you suggested.
    > I found that taking a picture at maximum optical zoom with
    > no digital zoom and later enlarging using photoshop gave me
    > better quality (more detail - more actual *information*) than
    > using the optical zoom. This was verfied by zooming into
    > 500-600x on both pictures to view individual pixels.

    Can you clarify? Did you mean "gave me better quality than using
    the DIGITAL zoom"?

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Paul D. Sullivan

    Jean Gupta Guest

    > > I found that taking a picture at maximum optical zoom with
    > > no digital zoom and later enlarging using photoshop gave me
    > > better quality

    > Can you clarify? Did you mean "gave me better quality than using
    > the DIGITAL zoom"?

    Read it again slowly.

    Jean Gupta, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <4hm1b.24181$>, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

    >> I found that taking a picture at maximum optical zoom with
    >> no digital zoom and later enlarging using photoshop gave me
    >> better quality (more detail - more actual *information*) than
    >> using the optical zoom. This was verfied by zooming into
    >> 500-600x on both pictures to view individual pixels.

    > Can you clarify? Did you mean "gave me better quality than using
    > the DIGITAL zoom"?

    Yes. Sorry, screwed up there. Using max optical with no digital and then
    doing more 'zooming' in Photoshop resulted in better quality than using the
    digtial zoom and not doing any more 'zooming' in Photoshop.

    Mike Graham, Aug 22, 2003