Re: Picking Lice With The 70-200 VR2!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nervous Nick, Aug 3, 2010.

  1. Nervous Nick

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Aug 2, 6:43 pm, Larry Thong <> wrote:
    > Baboons do it in the zoo, they even do it in the wild.  It must be a fun
    > activity as it seems to be spreading.
    >
    > <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Lice.jpg>

    Why did you choose to share this photo? Were you jonesing for a
    reason to use a double exclamation point?
    Nervous Nick, Aug 3, 2010

  2. Nervous Nick

    Tim Conway Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
    > 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-08-03 08:13:13 -0700, George Kerby <>
    >> said:
    >>

    >>> On 8/2/10 8:21 PM, in article
    >>> ,

    >>> Just when we thought Rita was gaining control of the medications, he
    >>> veers
    >>> off again. Oh well...

    >> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
    >>
    >> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
    >>
    >> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

    > Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
    > likely
    > came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
    >
    > Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
    > would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
    >
    > Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
    > experiences? Dunno...

    Offbeat as it is, it got our attention, didn't it? cool. nice photo too.
    I wish I was as young and thin....
    Tim Conway, Aug 3, 2010

  3. Nervous Nick

    > On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
    > 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-08-03 08:13:13 -0700, George Kerby <>
    >> said:
    >>

    >>> On 8/2/10 8:21 PM, in article
    >>> ,

    >>> Just when we thought Rita was gaining control of the medications, he
    >>> veers
    >>> off again. Oh well...

    >> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
    >>
    >> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
    >>
    >> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

    > Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
    > likely
    > came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
    >
    > Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
    > would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
    >
    > Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
    > experiences? Dunno...

    Correction for the grammar police: I wish I were as young and
    thin.....(again).
    Tim Conway, Aug 3, 2010
  4. Nervous Nick

    Peter Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote in message

    > Offbeat as it is, it got our attention, didn't it? cool. nice photo too.
    > I wish I was as young and thin....

    I would settle for either one, preferably in the order you specified. :)

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 3, 2010
  5. Nervous Nick

    Peter Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote in message

    > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
    >> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
    >>>
    >>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
    >>>
    >>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

    >> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most
    >> likely
    >> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
    >>
    >> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
    >> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?
    >>
    >> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
    >> experiences? Dunno...
    >>

    > Correction for the grammar police: I wish I were as young and
    > thin.....(again).

    Grammar police be damned! Tis the result I ant.

    When I was a lot younger, my mother actually wanted to fatten me up.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 3, 2010
  6. Nervous Nick

    otter Guest

    On Aug 3, 3:02 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > I always thought the big mystery to be the obsession with high ticket
    > equipment, and no apparent need for it.

    Yikes! So now we need to prove the need to own whatever cameras we
    can afford? :)
    I'm definitely in trouble.
    otter, Aug 4, 2010
  7. Nervous Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:02:48 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-08-03 11:36:58 -0700, George Kerby <> said:
    >

    >> On 8/3/10 10:21 AM, in article
    >> 2010080308215079149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> ...but all things considered it is not a bad candid capture, clearly
    >>>
    >>> demonstrating just how good the 70-200 f/2.8 can be.
    >>>
    >>> The baiting, tongue in cheek subject lines continue to be a groan.

    >> Not just a 'groan', a completely derailed train of thought that most likely
    >> came from the influence of mis-managed pharmaceuticals.
    >>
    >> Tell me, looking at that photograph, the thought of baboons picking lice
    >> would be *your* primary choice for a cut line?

    >No, but I understood the source of the metaphor she conjured up, and I
    >have seen scenes where primate behavior evokes a certain easily
    >anthropomorphized tender interaction.
    >

    >> Thought not. Most normal folks as well. Maybe Rita speaks from personal
    >> experiences? Dunno...

    >Who knows? I never perceived any need for medication, only an
    >underlying odd humor.
    >Rita's subject lines have always been strangely provocative, and we all
    >seem to get drawn in and tangled up, regardless of how strange, or
    >however good, bad, corny, or in bad taste her images might be.
    >I always thought the big mystery to be the obsession with high ticket
    >equipment, and no apparent need for it. That, and the source of income
    >to support what appears to nothing more than a hobby. I have yet to see
    >anything from her of the same quality Bret has given us, or some of the
    >work submitted to the SI (present company not included.)

    I have no problem with her subject lines. They are sometimes amusing.
    I can't really see how they are at all harmful even to the
    humor-impaired.

    Those who don't like Rita/Larry will find fault with anything. That's
    their problem.

    His/her photographs run from barely adequate to reasonably good, and
    "reasonably good" is better than many do. Certainly better than the
    moths and vines that someone else seems to think are worth offering.

    It's a hobby, Duck. You don't have to be able to do National
    Geographic level stuff to satisfy hobby urges. I don't understand why
    people want to take away someone else's pleasure in pursuing their
    hobby.

    Your curiosity about the money he/she spends on equipment is somewhat
    naive. Go to any golf course and see if the golfers with the highest
    priced equipment are the best golfers. Watch to see if the owners of
    Corvettes and high-end BMWs and Mercedes are better drivers. Last
    time I went scuba diving there was a guy on the charter boat with a
    wrist computer that cost more than all of my equipment combined, and
    he couldn't get down to bottom at 60 feet using an anchor line because
    he held his breath and kept too much air in his BCD. He got back on
    the boat and left his dive buddy to go alone.

    The attitude of every hobbyist is "More, and better, equipment will
    make me better".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 4, 2010
  8. Nervous Nick

    ROFLMAO! Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >As a hobbyist of average talent

    ROFLMAO!
    ROFLMAO!, Aug 4, 2010
  9. Nervous Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >So my remark stands, I can see no apparent need for the equipment she
    >owns other than bragging rights.

    What has "need" to do with what we purchase once we are beyond the
    basics? Isn't the ability to buy the luxuries we want one of the
    reasons we strive for success in our occupation?

    Who are you to decide what someone else "needs" if that person is
    purchasing those items with their own money and not yours?

    I drive an older Toyota Rav4 with 60+ thousand miles on it. I bought
    it used. I am not a car person; I look for a practical vehicle with
    the configuration that works for my needs in a vehicle.

    If you drive a Mercedes, a BMW, or some other more expensive car, do
    you think I should worry if you have no apparent need for a car that
    costs that much?

    Rita/Larry, if I'm not mistaken, buys things that he/she can sell on
    eBay at a profit. Or used to. Not junque, but industrial equipment
    and such. If he/she is smart enough to know what to buy and how to
    market it, why should *anyone* else be concerned about what he/she
    does with his/her disposable income? I don't know if Rita/Larry has a
    regular occupation in addition to this, but I really don't care.

    I don't think it's within your purview to decide what his/her "needs"
    are. It is within your purview to comment on his/her results in using
    the equipment since he/she links to the results as an open invitation
    for comment. What you don't see is a positive result of that
    expensive equipment, but that has nothing to with "need".

    I'm tired of writing "him/her". His/her gender is another thing that
    makes no difference to me, but I'm not going to be the one who decides
    which it is.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 4, 2010
  10. Nervous Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:40:11 -0500, SneakyP
    <> wrote:

    >Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in
    >

    >> ...I do like nice things though, and most times they seem to be
    >> prohibitively expensive.
    >>

    >I'd like to get my hands on a pair of RAAL tweets. Different hobby of
    >course, but it's just a $1,200 ribbon tweeter speaker with a sweetly
    >diffracted high-end. (or so it has been praised).
    >
    >OTOH, I want a lens that can produce the clarity that one seems to show and
    >it appears that it's going to cost about $1,000 to do that, with the rest
    >of the equipment being compatible too.

    That's another area where "needs" don't come into play when it comes
    to spending money. People buy god-awful expensive sound systems and
    then listen to Lady GaGa or some-such. Cars sit next to me at
    intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
    blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
    have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

    To each his own.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 4, 2010
  11. In rec.photo.equipment.35mm tony cooper <> wrote:
    > intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
    > blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
    > have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

    Once, just once, I came across a car blasting out Beethoven.

    It made my evening. :)

    - Solomon
    --
    Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
    Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
    Stuffed Crust, Aug 4, 2010
  12. Nervous Nick

    otter Guest

    On Aug 4, 1:21 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-08-03 23:02:47 -0700, SneakyP
    > <> said:
    >

    > > SneakyP <> wrote in

    > >> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

    > >> I'd like to get my hands on a pair of RAAL tweets.  Different hobby of
    > >> course, but it's just a $1,200 ribbon tweeter speaker with a sweetly
    > >> diffracted high-end. (or so it has been praised).

    > >> OTOH, I want a lens that can produce the clarity that one seems to
    > >> show and it appears that it's going to cost about $1,000 to do that,
    > >> with the rest of the equipment being compatible too.

    > > If Larry/Rita would be able to share what taking that kind of picture
    > > would involve in the equipment end, I'd appreciate the cost quote facts..

    > Consider Larry/Rita has boasted of a camera armory of a D3x @ $7,400 +
    > 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII @$2,179 for a camera lens combo of $9,579.
    > Not chump change even if we tone back the D3x to a D3s @ $5,200 giving
    > us a total of $7,379.

    Although that seems like a lot of money to most of us, for many people
    it is not. If you look at what gets spent on cars, houses, boats,
    motorcycles, etc., clearly many people could afford a $10K camera if
    they really really wanted it.
    otter, Aug 4, 2010
  13. On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:40:13 -0700 (PDT), otter <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 4, 1:21 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2010-08-03 23:02:47 -0700, SneakyP
    >> <> said:
    >>

    >> > SneakyP <> wrote in

    >> > If Larry/Rita would be able to share what taking that kind of picture
    >> > would involve in the equipment end, I'd appreciate the cost quote facts.

    >> Consider Larry/Rita has boasted of a camera armory of a D3x @ $7,400 +
    >> 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII @$2,179 for a camera lens combo of $9,579.
    >> Not chump change even if we tone back the D3x to a D3s @ $5,200 giving
    >> us a total of $7,379.

    >Although that seems like a lot of money to most of us, for many people
    >it is not. If you look at what gets spent on cars, houses, boats,
    >motorcycles, etc., clearly many people could afford a $10K camera if
    >they really really wanted it.

    "A fool and his money are soon parted." -- Thomas Tusser

    There's a sucker born every minute." -- P. T. Barnum

    The trouble with Larry/Rita's reasoning as an investment, is that now many
    inexpensive superzoom and compact cameras for $350 or less easily rival any
    images that come from such expensive gear based on last-century designs.
    All that investment will become worthless. Doubling the value of the two
    phrases above, now applicable to both seller and buyer.

    His/Her feeble attempts to try to increase the value of that gear for
    resale on E-Bait by posting his/her sorry excuses for photos taken with it,
    only making matters rapidly worse. Like I've always said, anyone using a
    DSLR for any reason has never proved to be very intelligent.
    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 4, 2010
  14. In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:
    > only making matters rapidly worse. Like I've always said, anyone using a
    > DSLR for any reason has never proved to be very intelligent.

    Duno about that. DSLR can make pretty good flails in a pinch. They
    also make excellent paperweights, and occasionally a good doorstop.

    - Solomon
    Stuffed Crust, Aug 4, 2010
  15. Nervous Nick

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 8/4/2010 8:09 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
    > In rec.photo.equipment.35mm tony cooper<> wrote:
    >> intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
    >> blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
    >> have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

    > Once, just once, I came across a car blasting out Beethoven.
    >
    > It made my evening. :)

    Don't mess with that guy--he and his droogs are probably into rape and
    ultraviolence.
    J. Clarke, Aug 4, 2010
  16. Nervous Nick

    Pete Guest

    On 2010-08-04 14:00:22 +0100, Superzooms Still Win said:

    > On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:40:13 -0700 (PDT), otter <>
    > wrote:
    >> Although that seems like a lot of money to most of us, for many people
    >> it is not. If you look at what gets spent on cars, houses, boats,
    >> motorcycles, etc., clearly many people could afford a $10K camera if
    >> they really really wanted it.

    > "A fool and his money are soon parted." -- Thomas Tusser
    >
    > There's a sucker born every minute." -- P. T. Barnum
    >
    > The trouble with Larry/Rita's reasoning as an investment, is that now many
    > inexpensive superzoom and compact cameras for $350 or less easily rival any
    > images that come from such expensive gear based on last-century designs.
    > All that investment will become worthless. Doubling the value of the two
    > phrases above, now applicable to both seller and buyer.
    >
    > His/Her feeble attempts to try to increase the value of that gear for
    > resale on E-Bait by posting his/her sorry excuses for photos taken with it,
    > only making matters rapidly worse. Like I've always said, anyone using a
    > DSLR for any reason has never proved to be very intelligent.

    "Attempting to prove one's intelligence serves only to demonstrate a
    lack of it." -- Pete

    --
    Pete
    Pete, Aug 4, 2010
  17. On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:20:48 +0100, Pete
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-08-04 14:00:22 +0100, Superzooms Still Win said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:40:13 -0700 (PDT), otter <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Although that seems like a lot of money to most of us, for many people
    >>> it is not. If you look at what gets spent on cars, houses, boats,
    >>> motorcycles, etc., clearly many people could afford a $10K camera if
    >>> they really really wanted it.

    >> "A fool and his money are soon parted." -- Thomas Tusser
    >>
    >> There's a sucker born every minute." -- P. T. Barnum
    >>
    >> The trouble with Larry/Rita's reasoning as an investment, is that now many
    >> inexpensive superzoom and compact cameras for $350 or less easily rival any
    >> images that come from such expensive gear based on last-century designs.
    >> All that investment will become worthless. Doubling the value of the two
    >> phrases above, now applicable to both seller and buyer.
    >>
    >> His/Her feeble attempts to try to increase the value of that gear for
    >> resale on E-Bait by posting his/her sorry excuses for photos taken with it,
    >> only making matters rapidly worse. Like I've always said, anyone using a
    >> DSLR for any reason has never proved to be very intelligent.

    >"Attempting to prove one's intelligence serves only to demonstrate a
    >lack of it." -- Pete

    "Attempting to be witty without one lick of wisdom nor wit serves only to
    demonstrate being less than a halfwit." -- Common Sense 101
    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 4, 2010
    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 4, 2010
  19. Nervous Nick

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:15:56 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/3/10 8:45 PM, in article ,
    >"tony cooper" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:02:48 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> No, but I understood the source of the metaphor she conjured up, and I
    >>> have seen scenes where primate behavior evokes a certain easily
    >>> anthropomorphized tender interaction.

    >>> Who knows? I never perceived any need for medication, only an
    >>> underlying odd humor.
    >>> Rita's subject lines have always been strangely provocative, and we all
    >>> seem to get drawn in and tangled up, regardless of how strange, or
    >>> however good, bad, corny, or in bad taste her images might be.
    >>> I always thought the big mystery to be the obsession with high ticket
    >>> equipment, and no apparent need for it. That, and the source of income
    >>> to support what appears to nothing more than a hobby. I have yet to see
    >>> anything from her of the same quality Bret has given us, or some of the
    >>> work submitted to the SI (present company not included.)

    >> I have no problem with her subject lines. They are sometimes amusing.
    >> I can't really see how they are at all harmful even to the
    >> humor-impaired.
    >>
    >> Those who don't like Rita/Larry will find fault with anything. That's
    >> their problem.
    >>
    >> His/her photographs run from barely adequate to reasonably good, and
    >> "reasonably good" is better than many do. Certainly better than the
    >> moths and vines that someone else seems to think are worth offering.
    >>
    >> It's a hobby, Duck. You don't have to be able to do National
    >> Geographic level stuff to satisfy hobby urges. I don't understand why
    >> people want to take away someone else's pleasure in pursuing their
    >> hobby.
    >>
    >> Your curiosity about the money he/she spends on equipment is somewhat
    >> naive. Go to any golf course and see if the golfers with the highest
    >> priced equipment are the best golfers. Watch to see if the owners of
    >> Corvettes and high-end BMWs and Mercedes are better drivers. Last
    >> time I went scuba diving there was a guy on the charter boat with a
    >> wrist computer that cost more than all of my equipment combined, and
    >> he couldn't get down to bottom at 60 feet using an anchor line because
    >> he held his breath and kept too much air in his BCD. He got back on
    >> the boat and left his dive buddy to go alone.

    >Obviously "Resort Trained". He needs to be certified by PADI or The Y.
    >Someone on the boat should have asked for his card beforehand...

    He was certified. He couldn't have rented a tank from the dive shop
    that owned the boat without being certified. Being certified doesn't
    mean being comfortable diving. I didn't chat with the guy, but this
    was probably his first dive below 30 feet and going down an anchor
    line. Maybe even his first dive after his open water final dive for
    certification. All of his equipment was new and expensive.

    I don't know what the Y offers, but certification in this area is only
    by PADI or NAUI. The classes may be at a YMCA pool, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 4, 2010
  20. Nervous Nick

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    > That's another area where "needs" don't come into play when it comes
    > to spending money. People buy god-awful expensive sound systems and
    > then listen to Lady GaGa or some-such. Cars sit next to me at
    > intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
    > blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
    > have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

    I would venture that the the vast majority of them have their creit card
    interest increasing at a higher rate than the payments they are making on
    their cridit cards.

    But whien they finally compromise their credit card debt, it is you and I
    that are really paying for that equipment.

    > To each his own.

    As long as they don't bother me, or cost me money.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 4, 2010