Re: Pick up handset???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian H¹©, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Kim said:

    > I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which
    > is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever
    > she attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect,
    > after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
    > machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting
    > somewhere which is causing this? If not, where should I
    > go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of technical
    > support, I have never encountered this problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kim

    Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting the
    handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Brian H¹©

    Kim Guest

    Figured it out.....

    Go into control panel, network connections.....highlight the connection and
    under the Advanced menu, uncheck "operator-assisted dialing".

    Thanks anyway!

    Kim

    Kim, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help yugsdrawkcab said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> In a desperate cry for help Kim said:
    >>

    >>> I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which
    >>> is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever
    >>> she attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect,
    >>> after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
    >>> machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting
    >>> somewhere which is causing this? If not, where should I
    >>> go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of technical
    >>> support, I have never encountered this problem.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Kim

    >> Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting
    >> the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?
    >>

    > Did you even read the question????

    Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical support
    department?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Brian H¹©

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>>Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires lifting
    >>>the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with the modem?
    >>>

    >>Did you even read the question????

    > Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical support
    > department?

    What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
    an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 12, 2003
  5. "yugsdrawkcab" <> wrote in message

    lifting

    modem?

    > >>Did you even read the question????

    > > Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical

    support
    > > department?
    > >

    > What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
    > an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

    I killfile anyone that supplies an absolutely idiotic response that has
    nothing to do with the question.

    Brenadier Jehosephat, Jul 12, 2003
  6. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    I put my chocolate cake down when I saw that yugsdrawkcab said:

    >>> Did you even read the question????

    >> Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical
    >> support department?
    >>

    > What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
    > an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

    Seeing as you have snipped the OP's question I'll place it back in the thread
    and answer your question.

    "I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which is asking that she
    'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she attempts to connect to the internet.
    She can connect, after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
    machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting somewhere which is
    causing this? If not, where should I go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of
    technical support, I have never encountered this problem."

    Now in answer to your question to me, yes I did read the question.
    Now you tell me, where does the OP say anything about which software is being
    used to dial?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

    Brian H¹©, Jul 12, 2003
  7. Brian H¹©

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>>Did you see that the question came from someone in a companies technical
    >>>support department?
    >>>

    >>What does that have to do with not reading the question and/or supplying
    >>an absolutely idiotic response that has nothing to do with the question?

    > Seeing as you have snipped the OP's question I'll place it back in the thread
    > and answer your question.
    >
    > "I am attempting to support a customers WinXP machine, which is asking that she
    > 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she attempts to connect to the internet.
    > She can connect, after manually entering the number on her phone, but the
    > machine will not dial itself. Is there a simple setting somewhere which is
    > causing this? If not, where should I go from here? I'm stumped. In 4 years of
    > technical support, I have never encountered this problem."
    >
    > Now in answer to your question to me, yes I did read the question.
    > Now you tell me, where does the OP say anything about which software is being
    > used to dial?

    That's not the point. The point is this:

    "which is asking that she 'Pick up the handset and dial' whenever she
    attempts to connect to the internet. She can connect, after manually
    entering the number on her phone, but the machine will not dial itself."

    To which you reply:

    "Is she using Windows Dialer, which only dials a number and requires
    lifting the handset, or is she trying to use the software that came with
    the modem?"

    Now look at the OP's statements above, then look at your reply. If you
    still can't see what's wrong I'll explain it to you.

    yugsdrawkcab, Jul 12, 2003
  8. Brian H¹©

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as yugsdrawkcab continued:

    **** off kcirpcitnadep

    slumpy, Jul 12, 2003
  9. Brian H¹©

    yugsdrawkcab Guest