Re: Picasa - Photo Organizing Tool from Google

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Arthur wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-18, dotnetalien <> wrote:
    >>> Hi all
    >>> Check the latest picasa from Google. It has been updated with some
    >>> cool
    >>> fun features

    >> Get Picasa from picasa.google.com, not a secondary source.
    >> Remember:
    >> malware bad.

    > That kinda what I thought, but the site referenced in the OP is
    > registered to Google according to ANIC. <shrug>

    You need to look further than just the domain name.

    The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a
    page or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do
    with the owner of the domain beyond hosting.

    The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by
    Google, however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a
    Yahoo site, and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps
    for people to download. The site should not to be trusted since it is
    in no way affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is
    legit because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with
    free hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups,
    they make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.

    Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is no
    reason to get it anywhere else:

    http://picasa.google.com/

    --
    Happy Holidays!

    Bill, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Bill

    Jer Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "Jer" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul Arthur wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Get Picasa from picasa.google.com, not a secondary source. Remember:
    >>> malware bad.

    >> That kinda what I thought, but the site referenced in the OP is
    >> registered to Google according to ANIC. <shrug>

    > You need to look further than just the domain name.
    >
    > The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    > (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a page
    > or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do with the
    > owner of the domain beyond hosting.
    >
    > The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by Google,
    > however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a Yahoo site,
    > and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps for people to
    > download. The site should not to be trusted since it is in no way
    > affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is legit
    > because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with free
    > hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups, they
    > make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.
    >
    > Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is no
    > reason to get it anywhere else:
    >
    > http://picasa.google.com/

    Well, there ya go, I didn't know Google offered a personal hosting site,
    but the registration data didn't seem to ring any bells here. Thanks.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "Jer" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul Arthur wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Get Picasa from picasa.google.com, not a secondary source. Remember:
    >>> malware bad.

    >> That kinda what I thought, but the site referenced in the OP is
    >> registered to Google according to ANIC. <shrug>

    > You need to look further than just the domain name.
    >
    > The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    > (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a page
    > or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do with the
    > owner of the domain beyond hosting.
    >
    > The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by Google,
    > however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a Yahoo site,
    > and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps for people to
    > download. The site should not to be trusted since it is in no way
    > affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is legit
    > because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with free
    > hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups, they
    > make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.
    >
    > Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is no
    > reason to get it anywhere else:
    >
    > http://picasa.google.com/

    Domain names can be quite confusing. For instance: www.siye.co.uk
    appears to be a site in the United Kingdom, but a lookup on it, and find
    it is served from Houston, Tx. Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Bill

    Jer Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> "Jer" <> wrote in message

    >>> That kinda what I thought, but the site referenced in the OP is
    >>> registered to Google according to ANIC. <shrug>

    >> You need to look further than just the domain name.
    >>
    >> The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    >> (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a
    >> page or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do
    >> with the owner of the domain beyond hosting.
    >>
    >> The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by
    >> Google, however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a
    >> Yahoo site, and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps
    >> for people to download. The site should not to be trusted since it is
    >> in no way affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is
    >> legit because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with
    >> free hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups,
    >> they make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.
    >>
    >> Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is no
    >> reason to get it anywhere else:
    >>
    >> http://picasa.google.com/
    >>

    > Domain names can be quite confusing. For instance: www.siye.co.uk
    > appears to be a site in the United Kingdom, but a lookup on it, and find
    > it is served from Houston, Tx. Sigh.

    That's weird, I trace that Webair network segment to Jericho, NY.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Bill

    -=Rob Guest

    Ron Hunter schreef:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> "Jer" <> wrote in message

    >>> That kinda what I thought, but the site referenced in the OP is
    >>> registered to Google according to ANIC. <shrug>

    >> You need to look further than just the domain name.
    >>
    >> The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    >> (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a
    >> page or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do
    >> with the owner of the domain beyond hosting.
    >>
    >> The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by
    >> Google, however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a
    >> Yahoo site, and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps
    >> for people to download. The site should not to be trusted since it is
    >> in no way affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is
    >> legit because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with
    >> free hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups,
    >> they make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.
    >>
    >> Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is no
    >> reason to get it anywhere else:
    >>
    >> http://picasa.google.com/
    >>

    > Domain names can be quite confusing. For instance: www.siye.co.uk
    > appears to be a site in the United Kingdom, but a lookup on it, and find
    > it is served from Houston, Tx. Sigh.

    Is this all about "Picasa - Photo Organizing Tool from Google" :(

    -=Rob

    -=Rob, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Bill

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jer wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> "Jer" <> wrote in message

    >>> You need to look further than just the domain name.
    >>>
    >>> The domain name is the last word before the suffix
    >>> (whatever.domain.suffix). Anything prior to the domain is merely a
    >>> page or site name within the domain and may not have anything to do
    >>> with the owner of the domain beyond hosting.
    >>>
    >>> The "googlepages.com" domain is a webpage creation site owned by
    >>> Google, however, anyone can create a page on their site, just like a
    >>> Yahoo site, and put viruses, trojans, or whatever they want in apps
    >>> for people to download. The site should not to be trusted since it is
    >>> in no way affiliated with Google, even if any software on the site is
    >>> legit because these sites often use referrals and ads, and along with
    >>> free hits from people who visit their site after spamming newsgroups,
    >>> they make ad money and should be shunned for that reason.
    >>>
    >>> Picasa has its own website created by Google personnel and there is
    >>> no reason to get it anywhere else:
    >>>
    >>> http://picasa.google.com/
    >>>

    >> Domain names can be quite confusing. For instance: www.siye.co.uk
    >> appears to be a site in the United Kingdom, but a lookup on it, and
    >> find it is served from Houston, Tx. Sigh.

    > That's weird, I trace that Webair network segment to Jericho, NY.

    Seems they have moved since the last time I checked. Probably a good
    idea as the Houston server was terribly slow. The trace I got this
    morning indicated it went to the UK now, which may explain why the site
    can't be reached sometimes. The point is that strange things can happen
    with the text of a server which doesn't always indicate where the server
    is, but where the site owner is. Often the actual server depends on
    load factors, or the whim of the site owner.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 20, 2006