Re: PHP installation question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mainlander, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am trying to install PHP on an XP Pro machine running IIS. I followed the
    > instructions that comes with the package. I've written a PHP version of
    > "Hello World" as follows:

    > <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>

    try learning HTML!

    Mainlander, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Mainlander

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Mainlander,

    >> I am trying to install PHP on an XP Pro machine running IIS. I followed the
    >> instructions that comes with the package. I've written a PHP version of
    >> "Hello World" as follows:

    >> <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    > <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    >
    > try learning HTML!

    You try learning HTML ;-) This wouldn't affect the display of the string
    Hello World. Closing tags are not mandatory. Dany's HTML is semantically
    identical to:

    Hello World

    <P>[Start of the next paragraph]

    The only wrinkle is that Dany included no text after the paragraph markup
    and the HTML 4.01 Recommendation states "We discourage authors from using
    empty P elements. User agents should ignore empty P elements."

    Mozilla is one of the agents that ignores empty P elements. The above
    renders the same as:

    Hello World

    <P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P>[Start of the next paragraph]

    Regards,
    Adam

    Adam Warner, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Mainlander

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I am trying to install PHP on an XP Pro machine running IIS. I followed

    the
    > > instructions that comes with the package. I've written a PHP version of
    > > "Hello World" as follows:

    > > <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    > <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    >
    > try learning HTML!

    Ok, somehow I fucked up when typing the code in the post. The original code
    had those tags in them and still no joy.

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Mainlander

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:55:24 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> had this to
    say:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I am trying to install PHP on an XP Pro machine running IIS. I followed the
    >> instructions that comes with the package. I've written a PHP version of
    >> "Hello World" as follows:

    >> <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    ><?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    >
    >try learning HTML!

    That's a bit harsh! He's obviously just learning.

    However, putting the start-paragraph at the end shouldn't actually
    hurt it - he should still get a "Hello World".

    OP - try looking at the source of the rendered page, and see if
    there's any clues there. By memory, you can set PHP to not report
    errors (it will just return an empty page if it has a problem). Can't
    remember how to turn this off, but try the docos.

    Having said that, excepting setup issues, there should be nothing
    wrong with the above (sure, the HTML is wrong, but you should still
    get a Hello World).

    HTH

    Gurble, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Mainlander

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Adam Warner" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mainlander,
    >
    > >> I am trying to install PHP on an XP Pro machine running IIS. I followed

    the
    > >> instructions that comes with the package. I've written a PHP version of
    > >> "Hello World" as follows:
    > >>
    > >> ================================================
    > >> <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    > > <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    > >
    > > try learning HTML!

    > You try learning HTML ;-) This wouldn't affect the display of the string
    > Hello World. Closing tags are not mandatory. Dany's HTML is semantically
    > identical to:
    >
    > Hello World
    >
    > <P>[Start of the next paragraph]
    >
    > The only wrinkle is that Dany included no text after the paragraph markup
    > and the HTML 4.01 Recommendation states "We discourage authors from using
    > empty P elements. User agents should ignore empty P elements."
    >
    > Mozilla is one of the agents that ignores empty P elements. The above
    > renders the same as:
    >
    > Hello World
    >
    > <P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P><P>[Start of the next paragraph]

    Ok folks, let's not get too carried away with HTML issues here. And I'm
    immune to snipes from various high'n'mighty gurus speaking from the heavens
    above at phlebs like me.

    The issue has been narrowed down to my installation of PHP on the local IIS.
    I've installed Apache on the same machine to run on port 88 and *voila* the
    script displays the pinnacle of every beginner's achievements!

    HELLO WORLD

    was proudly displayed on my browser window!

    So, I'm buggered if I know what's wrong with PHP on my IIS.

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Mainlander

    Adam Banks Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:55:24 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >> <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    ><?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    >
    >try learning HTML!

    Agreed, but he should still have got "Hello World" should he not?

    Have you got the permissions (execute/script access) set for your PHP
    scripts directory?

    Adam.

    Adam Banks, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Mainlander

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:51:55 +1200, Adam Banks
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:55:24 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >>> <?php echo "Hello World<P>"; ?>

    >><?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?>
    >>
    >>try learning HTML!

    >Agreed, but he should still have got "Hello World" should he not?
    >
    >Have you got the permissions (execute/script access) set for your PHP
    >scripts directory?

    He'd have got a 501 wouldn't he? Or a "Not Authorised".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 10, 2003
  8. Mainlander

    Adam Banks Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:47:05 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >>Have you got the permissions (execute/script access) set for your PHP
    >>scripts directory?
    >>

    >He'd have got a 501 wouldn't he? Or a "Not Authorised".

    True, Grasshoppa ... but does .php need to be set up as a recognised
    extension (by IIS)? I suspect the install should've done that - maybe
    it didn't.

    It's been a long time since I played with IIS <g>.

    Adam.

    Adam Banks, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Mainlander

    Alan Chiew Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:45:29 +1200, "Dany P. Wu"
    <> wrote:

    >The issue has been narrowed down to my installation of PHP on the local IIS.
    >I've installed Apache on the same machine to run on port 88 and *voila* the
    >script displays the pinnacle of every beginner's achievements!

    Have you tried reinstalling PHP?

    Alan Chiew, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Mainlander

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Alan Chiew" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:45:29 +1200, "Dany P. Wu"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >The issue has been narrowed down to my installation of PHP on the local

    IIS.
    > >I've installed Apache on the same machine to run on port 88 and *voila*

    the
    > >script displays the pinnacle of every beginner's achievements!

    > Have you tried reinstalling PHP?

    If I remember correctly, installing PHP involved unpacking the archive into
    a directory, placing a properly edited php.ini file in Windows directory,
    and setting some stuff in the IIS. What do you exactly mean by
    "reinstalling" PHP?

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Jul 13, 2003