Re: "Photoshopping" (or gimping) and truth-in-advertising

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stewy, May 31, 2008.

  1. Stewy

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    > Ignoramus23731 wrote:
    >
    > > I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
    > > GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
    > > editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
    > > truthfulness in advertising.
    > >
    > > Check this out for example:

    > Overcomplicated and unnecessary photo editing. To avoid all these hassles
    > you need the proper eBay setup. This is why we use this for all out Beanie
    > Baby Pics.
    >
    > <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/R1C1.jpg>

    Who was it who said KISS - Keep It Simple S*******?

    Some people prefer simple cool graphics, probably very Photoshopped to
    keep it simple or perhaps the Microsoft approach
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CEmZuieb7TM
    I suppose if the manipulation isn't immediately apparent but seems <too
    perfect> somehow maybe this is too much.

    Any changes should be <invisible> to the <layman or woman>

    Stewy, May 31, 2008

  2. Stewy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus23731 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
    >>> GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
    >>> editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
    >>> truthfulness in advertising.
    >>>
    >>> Check this out for example:

    >> Overcomplicated and unnecessary photo editing. To avoid all these hassles
    >> you need the proper eBay setup. This is why we use this for all out Beanie
    >> Baby Pics.
    >>
    >> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/R1C1.jpg>
    >>

    > Who was it who said KISS - Keep It Simple S*******?
    >
    > Some people prefer simple cool graphics, probably very Photoshopped to
    > keep it simple or perhaps the Microsoft approach
    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=CEmZuieb7TM
    > I suppose if the manipulation isn't immediately apparent but seems <too
    > perfect> somehow maybe this is too much.
    >
    > Any changes should be <invisible> to the <layman or woman>

    The criteria is this: Are your images BETTER than the ads in Newsweek?

    If not, they need more work.

    http://www.tinaja.com/glib/postproc.pdf

    --
    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email:

    Don Lancaster, May 31, 2008

  3. Stewy

    Lumpy Guest