Re: "Photoshopping" (or gimping) and truth-in-advertising

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Lancaster, May 30, 2008.

  1. Ignoramus23731 wrote:
    > I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
    > GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
    > editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
    > truthfulness in advertising.
    >
    > Check this out for example:
    >
    > http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gimp/001/
    >
    > The first change, to me, made the part more visible and did not
    > distort its representation.
    >
    > But as for the last picture, do you think that it is going too far?

    Your postproc is not remotely enough.
    You are not even backing up for a good start.

    Edge finders are totally useless. Do it by hand to get it right.

    Everything, of course, should be done to one pixel accuracy in true
    Architect's perspective. Totally shadowless or nearly so. With all
    lettering perfect.

    Your background should be more subtle.
    Try http://www.tinaja.com/glib/knockout.bmp

    The only time "too much" might happen would be in the case of a rare
    collectible where exact condition is important.

    Check the ads in Newsweek or a gal putting lipstick on for a date to get
    an idea of how much is appropriate.

    See the examples on http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ100QQsassZabeja

    and the custom tools at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/postproc.pdf

    All you need to do decent work are my free utilities, Paint, and
    Imageview32.

    An example of a "just barely enough" postproc appears as
    http://www.tinaja.com/images/bargs/tek576.jpg

    --
    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email:

    Don Lancaster, May 30, 2008

  2. Don Lancaster

    Lumpy Guest

    Ignoramus6145 wrote:
    > ...For now, I think, I will try to make a
    > lot of editiing, but with the purpose of
    > highlighting the item only.

    Show them both in your listing.

    "Pic 1 is an unaltered photo of the
    banana straightener hold down clamp"

    "In Pic 2 I've increased the flux capacitor
    setting to show the serial numbers on the
    bottom of the U bolt retainer groove"

    Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

    www.n0eq.com
    Lumpy, May 31, 2008

  3. Ignoramus6145 wrote:
    > On 2008-05-30, Don Lancaster <> wrote:
    >> Ignoramus23731 wrote:
    >>> I am learning slowly the various capabilities of image editing program
    >>> GIMP. Which looks to be a very nice program. My question is how much
    >>> editing would you say is acceptable, from the standpoint of
    >>> truthfulness in advertising.
    >>>
    >>> Check this out for example:
    >>>
    >>> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gimp/001/
    >>>
    >>> The first change, to me, made the part more visible and did not
    >>> distort its representation.
    >>>
    >>> But as for the last picture, do you think that it is going too far?
    >>>

    >> Your postproc is not remotely enough.
    >> You are not even backing up for a good start.
    >>
    >> Edge finders are totally useless. Do it by hand to get it right.
    >>
    >> Everything, of course, should be done to one pixel accuracy in true
    >> Architect's perspective. Totally shadowless or nearly so. With all
    >> lettering perfect.
    >>
    >> Your background should be more subtle.
    >> Try http://www.tinaja.com/glib/knockout.bmp
    >>
    >> The only time "too much" might happen would be in the case of a rare
    >> collectible where exact condition is important.
    >>
    >> Check the ads in Newsweek or a gal putting lipstick on for a date to get
    >> an idea of how much is appropriate.
    >>
    >> See the examples on http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ100QQsassZabeja
    >>
    >> and the custom tools at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/postproc.pdf
    >>
    >> All you need to do decent work are my free utilities, Paint, and
    >> Imageview32.
    >>
    >> An example of a "just barely enough" postproc appears as
    >> http://www.tinaja.com/images/bargs/tek576.jpg

    > Very interesting perspective. For now, I think, I will try to make a
    > lot of editiing, but with the purpose of highlighting the item only.

    Again, if your images are not as good as a Newsweek ad, they need more work.

    Don Lancaster, May 31, 2008