Re: Photoshop CS4 hardware question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Longfellow <> wrote:
    >I'm planning on building a PC dedicated to Photoshop CS4 and the latest
    >Lightroom. I'm told that for a workflow that does not depend on
    >continuous coffee breaks to allow the machine to crunch image data, a
    >very powerful machine is requisite. I'm told that a 64 bit system with
    >as much RAM as one can afford is what makes it possible to fiddle with
    >multiple layers and do extensive comparison of effects, etc.

    Were you told that by a computer salesman, by any chance?

    >OTOH, I'm told that CS4 runs just fine on much less powerful systems,
    >that a 32 bit system is more than enough to handle anything that one
    >might want to do with Photoshop. As I don't have access to the code of
    >Photoshop, I can't evaluate it's ability to shine on such systems, but
    >I'm not that sanguine about coding miracles from Adobe in any case.

    I run CS4 on an iMac and don't wait for it.

    Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
    of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
    are needed?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > Ray Fischer

    >> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
    >> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
    >> are needed?

    >Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
    >what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
    >layers).

    Well hell, if you're dealing with 1GP images then obviously 4GB of RAM
    won't be enough. But anybody who has to deal with 100MP images isn't
    likely to be asking simple questions here.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    D.Mac <> wrote:

    >"Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <49692798$0$1622$>, Ray Fischer
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
    >>> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
    >>> are needed?

    >> Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
    >> what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
    >> layers).
    >> --
    >>
    >> Alfred Molon

    >I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
    >will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
    >properly.

    The troll spews the usual bullshit.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Ray Fischer

    Sheila Guest

    >>> http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

    >> I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
    >> will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
    >> properly.

    > The troll spews the usual bullshit.

    I didn't have any of those problems and I just got it a few weeks ago
    and am using it on an older computer and display.

    --
    Sheila
    http://swdalton.com

    Sheila, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Ray Fischer

    D.Mac Guest

    > In article <49692798$0$1622$>, Ray Fischer
    > says...
    >
    >> Given that a 10MP image takes up 80MB, which is just 1/50 the RAM
    >> of a moderate 4GB PC, why would you think that vast amounts of memory
    >> are needed?

    > Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
    > what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
    > layers).
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
    will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to function
    properly. I emphasize "properly" here because it will still work with 3D
    disabled.

    If like me, you use the clone, erase and a few other everyday tools, you'll
    notice it gradually break up until eventually you won't be able to see it
    but it will still work!

    As for a screen? Look for a used Pro screen like a Samsung or Ezio otherwise
    it's up to you to do some research. Almost all the domestic screens are way
    to intense in t he contrast for photo editing out of the box.

    Good luck,

    Douglas

    D.Mac, Jan 14, 2009
  6. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    D.Mac <> wrote:

    >"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    >> D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>>"Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    >>>I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
    >>>will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to
    >>>function
    >>>properly.

    >> The troll spews the usual bullshit.

    >With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than it

    You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
    and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.

    The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
    software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
    market leader.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Ray Fischer

    D.Mac Guest

    > D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>

    >>"Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <49692798$0$1622$>, Ray Fischer
    >>> says...

    >>> Perhaps you need more memory for a 100MP image with 10 layers (which is
    >>> what you may get when you work with panoramic images with multiple
    >>> layers).
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Alfred Molon
    >>> http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

    >>I imagine after shelling out for the software, the glaring reality of CS4
    >>will be painfully obvious... It needs an Open GL, 3D video card to
    >>function
    >>properly.

    > The troll spews the usual bullshit.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than it
    does a photographer, Ray.

    From:http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/?promoid=DRHXB

    "Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0
    and OpenGL 2.0"

    This is pure high end gamers stuff mate. The Nvidia graphics card Adobe
    recommend for CS4 costs $800 AUD. Anyone who blindly buys Photoshop without
    considering the implications of spending more on a graphics card than their
    whole PC to get it working the way it is designed to work, is living in
    dream land.

    If you ever want be taken seriously, you'll stop being a nasty bastard and
    pay attention to those who actually use the stuff they comment on.

    Douglas

    D.Mac, Jan 14, 2009
  8. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    D.Mac <> wrote:

    >"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    >> D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>>"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>>With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than
    >>>it

    >> You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
    >> and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.
    >>
    >> The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
    >> software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
    >> market leader.

    >What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a monstrously
    >expensive graphics card?

    Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.

    >You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

    I don't like liars.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Ray Fischer

    D.Mac Guest

    > D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>

    >>"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>> The troll spews the usual bullshit.

    >>With a name like "Fisher" the description of "TROLL" fits you better than
    >>it

    > You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
    > and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.
    >
    > The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
    > software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
    > market leader.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a monstrously
    expensive graphics card?
    You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

    Find someone else to play with. Life's too short to for me to waste another
    second of it on you.

    Douglas

    D.Mac, Jan 15, 2009
  10. Ray Fischer

    -hh Guest

    "D.Mac" <> wrote:
    > "Ray Fischer" <> wrote:
    > > D.Mac <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best
    > >> wtih a monstrously expensive graphics card?

    > > Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.

    > You really are a fuckwit Fisher. I don't lie. I speak
    > from personal experience or keep my mouth shut.
    > You should try it sometime.

    Gosh, does that admonishing work both ways?

    > Did you bother to read the Adobe link on the
    > system requirements?

    Said URL is here:
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/>

    The only thing that it says relevant to video cards for Photoshop CS4
    is:

    "Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader
    Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0"

    Note that this doesn't say that Photoshop won't work, but merely that
    to take advantage of GPU-based *acceleration* features may require a
    more higher-end graphics card. While we're at it, we should point out
    that for all other things being equal, using a 3GHz machine will let
    Photoshop run faster than on a 2GHz machine.

    For a point of reference, both the (above recommended) Shader Model
    3.0 and the OpenGL 2.0 specifications were originally released in
    2004. As 4+ year old specifications, the GPU hardware is much closer
    to "trailing-edge" technology, and the 'glaring reality' is that cards
    meeting these standards start for as low as $50.

    For yet another point of reference, Photoshop CS4 does indeed run on
    pre- OpenGL 2.0 hardware (just not GPU-accelerated), which may be
    perfectly acceptable for lightweight hobbiest applications. One
    successful example is the 2003 vintage NVIDIA FX 5200 graphics card.
    Yes, it does support OpenGL (1.5) and does has 3D rendering, but since
    it is a 6 years old product, it is approaching 'downright ancient' in
    PC hardware terms, and if you really wanted to buy one today, its a
    whopping US$30. Oh, the 'glaring reality'.

    IMO, its more likely that the 'glaring reality' is that any PC that
    came with one of these 5-6 years ago is invariably going to have other
    more significant hardware limitiations (like CPU & FSB) that are more
    significant performance limitations to Photoshop CS4 than just what
    old graphics card it happens to have.

    > Nothing I said was a lie. I have several PCs running CS3 that I upgraded
    > to CS4 and hit the wall of graphics cards.
    >
    > Read this:http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_cx_us.html;

    Gosh, could someone please explain to me precisely where in --->
    Photoshop <--- is one able to do H.264 *video* encoding?

    Yes, I know that Creative Suite has video stuff, but this thread's
    about Photoshop; let's please avoid future shifting of the
    goalposts.

    -hh

    -hh, Jan 15, 2009
  11. Ray Fischer

    D.Mac Guest

    > D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>

    >>"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're a stupid bigot who obviously has a personal gripe with Adobe,
    >>> and the proof is your stupid lying about Photoshop.
    >>>
    >>> The reality is the Photoshop is one of the best 1-2 photo editing
    >>> software packages available, and the proof is in its position as
    >>> market leader.

    >>What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a
    >>monstrously
    >>expensive graphics card?

    > Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.
    >
    >>You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

    > I don't like liars.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    You really are a fuckwit Fisher. I don't lie. I speak from personal
    experience or keep my mouth shut. You should try it sometime. Did you bother

    D.Mac, Jan 16, 2009
  12. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    D.Mac <> wrote:

    >"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    >> D.Mac <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>>"Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>>What's that got to do with CS4 only working at it's best with a
    >>>monstrously
    >>>expensive graphics card?

    >> Repeating your lie doesn't make it true.
    >>
    >>>You really do have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

    >> I don't like liars.

    >You really are a fuckwit Fisher. I don't lie.

    Your claim about Photoshop is a lie and you can't spell. You're also
    a dumbshit for trying to claim that a $150 video card is "monstrously
    expensive". In the real world an EXPENSIVE video card goes for over
    $1000.

    > I speak from personal

    But you're full of shit.

    >experience or keep my mouth shut. You should try it sometime. Did you bother
    >to read the Adobe link on the system requirements?

    I have on the box right in front of me. That's how I know that you're
    full of shit.

    >Nothing I said was a lie.

    Other than what you claimed about Photoshop.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 16, 2009