Re: Photoshop course. Please advise

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by smitty, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. smitty

    smitty Guest

    > I have ancient Photoshop 5.0 installed on my computer and have no clue how
    > to use it.

    Open a photo file with it, then start trying out the filters and changing the
    slider controls, you will see instantly how it works. Then UNDO from the
    edit menu, and try the next thing.

    smitty, Aug 26, 2003

  2. smitty

    Terry Guest

    I got a photo in the program, clicked on something, and the picture became
    horribly grainy and the colors were off. Then I could not get it back the
    way it was and had to exit the program. Plus there are all of those icons on
    the side. I can't make anyof them work. I need somebody to show me how to
    work this thing.

    Terry, Aug 27, 2003

  3. smitty

    Kipling Guest

    You need to take the class, no matter which one you decide to take. I would
    personally go for the newest version. But if you're that intimidated by it,
    go for the 5.0 class. I don't know what else anybody could to tell you. I
    dont think were going to teach you the class through this newsgroup. Sorry

    Kipling, Aug 27, 2003
  4. smitty

    Kipling Guest

    No shit! I was being facetious. He did say he WAS going to take a class and
    wasnt sure which one. I simply said it doesnt matter which one as long as he
    takes it. After the response to your post that he made, it seems like he
    needs it.

    "smitty" <> wrote in message
    > > You need to take the class, no matter which one you decide to take.

    > Bull. I never took any class. Just like any other windows based

    program,
    > you can just figure it out by using it. The help menu is where it always

    is to

    Kipling, Aug 28, 2003
  5. smitty

    Carl Miller Guest

    On August 26 2003, smitty <> wrote:
    > Open a photo file with it, then start trying out the filters and
    > changing the slider controls, you will see instantly how it works.
    > Then UNDO from the edit menu, and try the next thing.

    What's that?! "Just mess around with it until you figure it out?!"
    That'll NEVER DO!!! :)

    Carl Miller, Aug 28, 2003
  6. > > Open a photo file with it, then start trying out the filters and
    > > changing the slider controls, you will see instantly how it works.
    > > Then UNDO from the edit menu, and try the next thing.

    > What's that?! "Just mess around with it until you figure it out?!"
    > That'll NEVER DO!!! :)

    That is how we figure out all software, isn't it? Who takes classes to
    learn how to use software? Once you have used one program, all the
    others are set up pretty much the same, with the exact same way to search
    through the help menus if you can't figure something out.

    You see a scissors, you figure it is for cutting, You see a color bar
    from red to yellow, you figure it boosts or cuts those colors, etc., etc.

    I never took a class to learn photoshop, has anyone here???

    Karen Weissman, Aug 29, 2003
  7. smitty

    GCW Guest

    On 8/28/03 7:59 PM, in article , "Karen
    Weissman" <> wrote:

    > I never took a class to learn photoshop, has anyone here???

    Nope, never did, but wish the local community college offered one. It would
    be nice to be able to ask questions, get constructive feedback, kibitz with
    other classmates, have something to do on Tuesday evenings, meet someone
    special, start a romance, move in together, begin fighting over trivial
    things, break up, and really understand Photoshop once and for all.

    I'm using 10% of Photoshop's potential, and 90% of that came from following
    tutorials in books (or on-line). If I waited until I figured everything out
    myself, I'd be at 1%. (Don't check my math.)

    GCW, Aug 29, 2003
  8. smitty

    HRosita Guest

    >Karen Weissman wrote:

    >I never took a class to learn photoshop, has anyone here???

    Yes I have. And I have learned things I would never tried on my own.
    It is OK to use help, I do it all the time but Photoshop is not your beginer
    software and if you want to become profficient, you would benefit from a class.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 29, 2003
  9. > > I never took a class to learn photoshop, has anyone here???

    > Nope, never did, but wish the local community college offered one. It would
    > be nice to be able to ask questions, get constructive feedback, kibitz with
    > other classmates,

    Only that is not how it would be, it would be showing you how to start the
    program, talking about how to open a photo in photoshop, and all the basic
    stuff that would bore you to tears.

    > have something to do on Tuesday evenings, meet someone
    > special, start a romance, move in together,

    You can go to a cooking or pottery class for that, you don't need one on
    photoshop. The ladies you meet at a class teaching photoshop are not ones
    that you would like anyway. Think about it.

    > I'm using 10% of Photoshop's potential, and 90% of that came from following
    > tutorials in books (or on-line). If I waited until I figured everything out
    > myself, I'd be at 1%.

    I tried and used everything to see what it can do, so I know 100% of it, but
    probably only use 10% of it since most of the things it does is just distort
    the photo or make wacky special effects that I don't care for. Just a basic
    tweak here or there, or using the layers, is all I really need it for.

    Cheryl Conice, Aug 30, 2003
  10. > >I never took a class to learn photoshop, has anyone here???

    > Yes I have. And I have learned things I would never tried on my own.

    Those types of things I would never do to my photos anyway.

    Cheryl Conice, Aug 30, 2003
  11. smitty

    HRosita Guest

    >Cheryl Conice wrote:

    >I tried and used everything to see what it can do, so I know 100% of it, but
    >probably only use 10% of it since most of the things it does is just distort
    >the photo or make wacky special effects that I don't care for. Just a
    >basic
    >tweak here or there, or using the layers, is all I really need it for.

    Congratulations,
    You are the first person in the years that I have been using Photoshop (since V
    3.0) that knows 100% of it. You should start giving classes and/or write a book
    to help us uninformed that are constantly learning new capabilities of
    Photoshop.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 30, 2003