Re: Photoshop Album. How to show filenames on thumbnails?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hal Lowe, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Hal Lowe

    Hal Lowe Guest

    Hi Josh,

    First, I'm not defending Adobe here, since I don't really care for PAlbum
    anyway. Also, it would be nice if you could see the file name on other
    views besides the single picture view (perhaps in version 2.0).

    Anyway, the scenario you describe below should be handled using tags. I
    believe you'll find that's one of the primary purposes of the tags. Namely,
    to organize similar things. Also, there are quite a few different ways to
    organize the files. For example, you can organize them on the screen by
    folder. So, you wouldn't even need tags, assuming you keep your (like)
    photos together in folders of their own.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    www.halowe-graphics.com/send_email_new.html
    www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html
    (digital photography resources)

    Hal Lowe, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Hello Hal,

    Your suggestion is good but what would you do in such a case: Assume
    that you have fixed pictures and you get the original as PICTxxx.jpg
    and the fixed ones as PICTxxx_edited.jpg. Now you want to delete from
    the H/D the originals and leave the fixed pictures. How can you do
    that except for visually selecting those who "seem" to be darker (or
    brighter) and delete them.

    Is it not simpler just to incorporate file names in the thumbnails in
    addition to date and time?

    Regards,
    Josh

    Josh Halberthal, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Hal Lowe

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

    > Hello Hal,
    >
    > Your suggestion is good but what would you do in such a case: Assume
    > that you have fixed pictures and you get the original as PICTxxx.jpg
    > and the fixed ones as PICTxxx_edited.jpg. Now you want to delete from
    > the H/D the originals and leave the fixed pictures. How can you do
    > that except for visually selecting those who "seem" to be darker (or
    > brighter) and delete them.

    Well, unless I'm wrong, PSA only shows the edited version in the well, not
    the original. So, in your example, you'd have to go to Explorer anyway.
    Actually, in your example, it would be easier to use a command prompt ('del
    pict???.jpg')

    > Is it not simpler just to incorporate file names in the thumbnails in
    > addition to date and time?

    I agree this would be a nice *option*, although the way I name my files
    (YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg), it would be tough to fit it all in the available
    space (and, obviously, for me it would be redundant). Could they add more
    space for each thumbnail to do this? Sure, but that's one of the reasons I
    *didn't* like *Paintshop* Photo Album (formerly Aftershot) was that it
    wasted too much screen real estate. Photoshop Album had, IMO, a much more
    efficient and flexible screen layout.

    Just show me the thumbnails - I'll figure out the rest.

    ---JRE---
    NoOneYouKnow, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Hal Lowe

    Hal Lowe Guest

    > Your suggestion is good but what would you do in such a case: Assume
    > that you have fixed pictures and you get the original as PICTxxx.jpg
    > and the fixed ones as PICTxxx_edited.jpg. Now you want to delete from
    > the H/D the originals and leave the fixed pictures. How can you do
    > that except for visually selecting those who "seem" to be darker (or
    > brighter) and delete them.

    Again, I don't use the program. I don't even recommend using the program.
    It simply doesn't have the features at this point that I want. Anyway...

    I _never_ delete originals. However, if you must, simply use tag names that
    differentiate between originals and edited copies. Change the original tag
    before you begin editing to something like "For deletion (or whatever)."

    > Is it not simpler just to incorporate file names in the thumbnails in
    > addition to date and time?

    Probably, but the point is moot, since it currently doesn't provide this
    feature.

    Perhaps you should consider using a different program, instead of using
    workarounds. I recommend either ACDSee or Thumbs Plus.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    www.halowe-graphics.com/send_email_new.html
    www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html