Re: Photomatix & HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wayne R., Jun 29, 2009.

  1. Wayne R.

    Wayne R. Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):

    >I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    >Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    >reasonable results.
    >
    >Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    >trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
    it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
    orange bark and yellow trees...
    Wayne R., Jun 29, 2009

  2. Wayne R.

    Peter Guest

    "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
    >>
    >>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    >>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    >>> reasonable results.
    >>>
    >>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    >>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
    >> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
    >> orange bark and yellow trees...

    > Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better balance.
    > It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental first attempt
    > at HDR.
    > With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HRD-1119-2021_tmD1w.jpg

    To me it looks less like an HDR than the prior ones. I like the way the
    shadows of the clouds are reflected in the trees. Keep the good work coming.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jun 30, 2009

  3. Wayne R.

    Wayne R. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:24:04 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):

    >On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
    >>
    >>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    >>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    >>> reasonable results.
    >>>
    >>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    >>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
    >> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
    >> orange bark and yellow trees...

    >Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better
    >balance. It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental
    >first attempt at HDR.
    >With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HRD-1119-2021_tmD1w.jpg

    I like this one better too. Not being a westerner, though, I never
    feel like my eyes are seeing mountains correctly in the first place,
    the light's so different than where the air's thicker and has more
    water in it.

    Seriously, some of those old WWII color shots from Austria & Germany
    or the photos in old Life (or Look - there was a Look, right?)
    magazines would fit your first try's feel, I think.
    Wayne R., Jun 30, 2009
  4. Wayne R.

    John Navas Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:24:04 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in
    <2009062907240450878-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom>:

    >On 2009-06-29 06:56:03 -0700, Wayne R. <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
    >>
    >>> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    >>> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    >>> reasonable results.
    >>>
    >>> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    >>> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> To me it looks like it was shot 50 years ago and put in a magazine -
    >> it's got something about it but dang if I know what. Maybe it's the
    >> orange bark and yellow trees...

    >Well, I have been working on it, and have managed to get a better
    >balance. It was not taken in ideal lighting and was an experimental
    >first attempt at HDR.
    >With a little coaching, advice and tweeking this is where I got to;
    >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HRD-1119-2021_tmD1w.jpg

    To me the first image had a bit of an over-processed look to it, but
    I prefer it to the second image, which looks a bit dull and dingy.
    I'd personally shoot for something in the middle, adjusting different
    parts of the image (sky, mountains, trees) differently.

    --
    Best regards,
    John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)
    John Navas, Jun 30, 2009
  5. Wayne R.

    John Turco Guest

    "Wayne R." wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > Seriously, some of those old WWII color shots from Austria & Germany
    > or the photos in old Life (or Look - there was a Look, right?)
    > magazines would fit your first try's feel, I think.

    Hello, Wayne:

    There was, indeed, a "Look" rag, once upon a time.

    Wikipedia - Look (American magazine)
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_(American_magazine)>

    "Look was a bi-weekly, general-interest magazine published in Des Moines,
    Iowa from 1937 to 1971, with more of an emphasis on photographs than
    articles. A large-size magazine of 11 by 14 inches, it was generally
    considered the also-ran to Life magazine, which began publication only
    months earlier and ended in 1972."

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    --