Re: Photomatix & HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by D-Mac, Jun 29, 2009.

  1. D-Mac

    D-Mac Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    > Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    > reasonable results.
    >
    > Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    > trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    According to clients what looks right is usually right ... HDR is not
    always the best method to level out dynamic range. Examples like the one
    you posted are not really looking right are they?

    Most of us search for something different in the way of technique in
    order to establish our own 'signature look'. HDR offers an ability to
    grossly over produce effects in a search for individuality and in the
    process destroy what we want to enjoy.

    I think if it doesn't look right, it isn't right. I've been using image
    enhancing software for many years. Some I make portraits with, others I
    use to make landscapes with. Here is a portrait example:
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/tutorials/in-camera-hdr.htm Hardly
    an example of HDR but I used Lucisart to obtain it.

    Using software to blend images is OK I guess but there are other ways.
    The lower photo in this pair is done entirely in-camera whilst the top
    shot is blended from 3 images. Which one do you prefer?
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/tutorials/HDR-V-WDR.htm

    My favourite enhancement software is produced by "Lucis". It enhances
    detail and repairs some images but it's real benefit is in tone mapping
    to produce HDR like results.

    There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:
    http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm

    and the other is the pro version 6:
    http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artistic/lucis-pro-home-pages/sublime.htm

    Unfortunately for those looking for "free" software, this is not it. The
    basic version 3 is not exactly cheap and you have to pay serious money
    for the Pro version. I fought with myself for many weeks before making
    the decision to buy it. Having done that, I don't regret it but it's not
    for everyone.

    --
    D-Mac... Back from the near-dead!
    With my survival comes a new ability ...multi-tasking.
    D-Mac, Jun 29, 2009

  2. D-Mac

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Re: Lucisart

    D-Mac <> wrote:

    > My favourite enhancement software is produced by "Lucis". It enhances
    > detail and repairs some images but it's real benefit is in tone mapping
    > to produce HDR like results.
    >
    > There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:
    > http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm
    >
    > and the other is the pro version 6:
    > http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artistic/lucis-pro-home-pages/sublime.htm

    As you have said, it depends on what you happen to like. To me, those
    images on the 'features' link look overprocessed. I can see where some
    may like them, but I reject them if they showed up that way in my own
    workflow.

    The gallery shows other photographers who use Lucisarts, and some of
    those images are pretty nice.

    PhotoMatrix seems to be the preferred HDR / tonemapping software from
    pretty much every professional I have talked to (among those that don't
    dismiss HDR out of hand anyway).

    In looking over the site, I can't see any reason to move away from
    Photomatrix. Is there anything you can point to me that will make say
    "Wow! I gotta switch!" ?

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    Burt Johnson, Jun 30, 2009

  3. D-Mac

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jun 29, 4:51 am, D-Mac <> wrote:

    > There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm
    >
    > and the other is the pro version 6:http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artistic/lucis-pro-home-pages/sublime.htm
    >
    > Unfortunately for those looking for "free" software, this is not it. The
    > basic version 3 is not exactly cheap and you have to pay serious money
    > for the Pro version. I fought with myself for many weeks before making
    > the decision to buy it. Having done that, I don't regret it but it's not
    > for everyone.

    It's simply a plug-in for people who can't figure out how to use
    Photoshop.
    Folks like yourself.
    Annika1980, Jun 30, 2009
  4. D-Mac

    Wayne R. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:59:04 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    <> wrote (with clarity & insight):

    >Folks like yourself.

    Unnecessary.
    Wayne R., Jun 30, 2009
  5. D-Mac

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jun 30, 7:08 am, Wayne R. <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:59:04 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
    > <> wrote (with clarity & insight):
    >
    > >Folks like yourself.

    > Unnecessary.

    Buy the ticket, take the ride.