Re: Photomatix & HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Burt Johnson, Jun 28, 2009.

  1. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    > Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    > reasonable results.
    >
    > Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    > trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Very nice. I would be proud to have that in my collection.

    I have been experimenting with HDR and Photomatrix too, with varying
    results. Here is one shot in a monestary in Poblet, Spain on our
    vacation last Fall. Very dark interior with a bright skylight at the
    end. I wasn't allowed to take in a tripod, but the shadows required 1/4
    sec exposure. I used Photomatrix to salvage the shot.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mindstorm/2949492473/

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    Burt Johnson, Jun 28, 2009

  2. Burt Johnson

    DRS Guest

    "Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    [...]

    > HDR definitely has its place in the digital darkroom for shooting in
    > difficult lighting situations, especially if you can restrain from
    > over processing.

    Ah, there's the rub.
    DRS, Jun 28, 2009

  3. Burt Johnson

    Nicko Guest

    On Jun 28, 1:05 am, (Burt Johnson) wrote:
    > Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > > I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    > > Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    > > reasonable results.

    > > Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    > > trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    > >http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg

    > > Any suggestions?

    > Very nice.  I would be proud to have that in my collection.
    >
    > I have been experimenting with HDR and Photomatrix too, with varying
    > results.  Here is one shot in a monestary in Poblet, Spain on our
    > vacation last Fall.  Very dark interior with a bright skylight at the
    > end.  I wasn't allowed to take in a tripod, but the shadows required 1/4
    > sec exposure.  I used Photomatrix to salvage the shot.
    >
    >        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mindstorm/2949492473/

    That could be a great photo, just for its composition. It's lovely.

    But your post production is way overdone, IMO. This looks like the
    background photo for one of those tacky animated transilluminated
    Hamm's beer signs you used to see in bars around the Midwest. All it
    lacks is some sort of flowing creek. I would love to see a more toned
    down version of this, but as it is it's like thwacking the viewers'
    eyeballs with a rolled-up carpet.

    --
    YOP...
    Nicko, Jun 28, 2009
  4. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    wow <> wrote:

    > Wow. And to think I was going to tell him "severely over-processed,
    > oversaturated, badly composed crap".

    Gee, I am just so in awe of being in the presence of such a Grand Old
    Jackass.

    Oh well, one more for the kill file, since he clearly has little to
    offer the discussion here.

    Burt Johnson, Jun 28, 2009
  5. Burt Johnson

    BobS Guest