Re: Photomatix & HDR (REDUX)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, Jun 28, 2009.

  1. Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-06-27 20:31:58 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > said:
    >
    >> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
    >> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
    >> reasonable results.
    >>
    >> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
    >> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
    >> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yosemite-19-20-21-HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Thanks to all who have commented, I have taken the suggestions to heart.
    >
    > I have revisited the problem and have made tweeks in Photomatix
    > tonemapping and CS4 to come up with this:
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HDR-1119_20_21_tonemapped-w.jpg

    Both represent good work. I find neither quite right, but it may well be
    because I know in advance it's HDR, and so I am subconsciously looking
    for reasons it looks at odds with other photos of similar content.

    How dark was the mountain face in the 'normal' exposure?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 28, 2009

  2. John McWilliams

    Paul Furman Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-06-28 09:11:52 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Thanks to all who have commented, I have taken the suggestions to heart.
    >>>
    >>> I have revisited the problem and have made tweeks in Photomatix
    >>> tonemapping and CS4 to come up with this:
    >>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/HDR-1119_20_21_tonemapped-w.jpg
    >>>

    >> Both represent good work. I find neither quite right, but it may well
    >> be because I know in advance it's HDR, and so I am subconsciously
    >> looking for reasons it looks at odds with other photos of similar
    >> content.
    >>
    >> How dark was the mountain face in the 'normal' exposure?

    > Well just so you can see what I was working with here are the 3
    > exposures resized only, no PP:
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1119w.jpg
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1120w.jpg
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1121w.jpg

    I tried overlaying those in PS and used a soft-edged 200-pixel eraser
    for a manual graduated neutral density effect and it was pretty easy for
    this particular shot. The dark sky frame was only used for a slight
    translucent overlay on the clouds, the foreground looks fine in the
    overexposed shot.

    Then I overlaid your new tonemapped version & tried luminosity & color
    mode... I prefer the manual version. It took some fiddling to get them
    to align, set mode to difference & free transform using arrow keys to
    nudge & a little rotating too.
    Here's the layered photoshop file: http://edgehill.net/1/temp/1119w.psd
    -hdr on the top layer, turned off

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 28, 2009

  3. John McWilliams

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >> > Well just so you can see what I was working with here are the 3

    > > exposures resized only, no PP:
    > > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1119w.jpg
    > > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1120w.jpg
    > > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1121w.jpg

    > I tried overlaying those in PS and used a soft-edged 200-pixel eraser
    > for a manual graduated neutral density effect and it was pretty easy for
    > this particular shot. The dark sky frame was only used for a slight
    > translucent overlay on the clouds, the foreground looks fine in the
    > overexposed shot.
    >
    > Then I overlaid your new tonemapped version & tried luminosity & color
    > mode... I prefer the manual version. It took some fiddling to get them
    > to align, set mode to difference & free transform using arrow keys to
    > nudge & a little rotating too.
    > Here's the layered photoshop file: http://edgehill.net/1/temp/1119w.psd
    > -hdr on the top layer, turned off

    Rather nicely done. I think I agree that I prefer your manual result
    over the Photomatrix one.

    As for the aligning though, Photoshop can do that automatically for you.
    Did it not succeed here for some reason?

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.

    Burt Johnson, Jun 28, 2009