Re: Photography restrictions in London

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris H, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Marutchi
    <BarbaraH*REMOVE@THIS*.?.com.invalid> writes
    >Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> Australia? Not too bad mostly. But getting worse. I've read
    >> they're cracking down on photogs taking photos at train stations.
    >> And I got bailed up taking some shots of the arriving crowd
    >> /outside/ a Wallabies rugby game while doing a photography class
    >> assignment on patriotism - can you believe it?

    >I was in London recently and had no problems wherever I went with my camera.
    >Ditto France, Germany, The Netherlands and Switzerland. Took a few photos
    >at St Pancras Station and Brussels Railway station, no problems.
    >The only problem I've ever had was on a beach at Mooloolaba (Australia) when
    >a gentleman took me to task, thinking I was taking photos of his children,
    >which I wasn't, I showed him a business card, with my name and phone number
    >on it and that calmed him down.

    That is the way to do it... what would you have done if he had hit you
    as per the idiot elsewhere in this thread.?

    >Then again, being a female in her senior years, works well for me. :)

    They will probably think you are a transvestite pedophile :)

    Chris H, Jun 27, 2008

  2. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Marutchi
    <BarbaraH*REMOVE@THIS*.?.com.invalid> writes
    >Chris H wrote:
    >

    >> That is the way to do it... what would you have done if he had hit you
    >> as per the idiot elsewhere in this thread.?

    >Probably hit back, my monopod packs a wallop. ;-)

    Obviously a thug if you are carrying a batton......

    I have a monopod too very useful for photography and as long as you have
    a camera quite legitimate to cary around the streets in low light
    conditions :))))

    >>> Then again, being a female in her senior years, works well for me.
    >>> :)

    >> They will probably think you are a transvestite pedophile :)

    >You've met me?

    Not yet. Should I?

    (With apologies to frank and furter )

    Chris H, Jun 27, 2008

  3. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Troy Piggins
    <> writes
    >* Chris H wrote :
    >> In message <>, Marutchi
    >> <BarbaraH*REMOVE@THIS*.?.com.invalid> writes

    >>>Probably hit back, my monopod packs a wallop. ;-)

    >> Obviously a thug if you are carrying a batton...
    >>
    >> I have a monopod too very useful for photography and as long as you have
    >> a camera quite legitimate to cary around the streets in low light
    >> conditions :))))

    ><snip />
    >
    >I read this recently:
    >
    >From a thread on the Flickr Strobist group about what people do
    >to protect their gear from thieves...

    No I am not using the monopod to protect me.. That would be carrying a
    weapon with intent.

    I just carry it in low light conditions :)))))

    >"FWIW, I would always keep a flash charged and on 1/1 full power
    >when walking through a rough area at night.

    Good idea... you often need light to see who is talking to you :))

    >(POP! ... sound of flash recycling, punctuated whoppity,
    >whoppity, whoppity sound of the Gitzo being used...)"

    Whoppity? That is a candidate for U-Tube.

    >I found that pretty funny, but helpful at the same time.

    Likewise

    Chris H, Jun 28, 2008
  4. Chris H <> wrote:
    > In message <>, Troy Piggins
    > <> writes
    >>* Chris H wrote :
    >>> In message <>, Marutchi
    >>> <BarbaraH*REMOVE@THIS*.?.com.invalid> writes

    >>> Obviously a thug if you are carrying a batton...
    >>>
    >>> I have a monopod too very useful for photography and as long as you have
    >>> a camera quite legitimate to cary around the streets in low light
    >>> conditions :))))

    >><snip />
    >>
    >>I read this recently:
    >>
    >>From a thread on the Flickr Strobist group about what people do
    >>to protect their gear from thieves...

    > No I am not using the monopod to protect me.. That would be carrying a
    > weapon with intent.

    > I just carry it in low light conditions :)))))

    >>"FWIW, I would always keep a flash charged and on 1/1 full power
    >>when walking through a rough area at night.

    > Good idea... you often need light to see who is talking to you :))

    >>(POP! ... sound of flash recycling, punctuated whoppity,
    >>whoppity, whoppity sound of the Gitzo being used...)"

    > Whoppity? That is a candidate for U-Tube.

    >>I found that pretty funny, but helpful at the same time.

    clearly there's a market for an updated version of that old
    gentlemam's standby, the swordstick. Street photographers would like a
    sword-monopod or the .45 calibre monopod :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 28, 2008
  5. Ï "Chris Malcolm" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Chris H <> wrote:
    >> In message <>, Troy Piggins
    >> <> writes

    >>><snip />
    >>>
    >>>I read this recently:
    >>>
    >>>From a thread on the Flickr Strobist group about what people do
    >>>to protect their gear from thieves...

    >> No I am not using the monopod to protect me.. That would be carrying a
    >> weapon with intent.

    >> I just carry it in low light conditions :)))))

    >>>"FWIW, I would always keep a flash charged and on 1/1 full power
    >>>when walking through a rough area at night.

    >> Good idea... you often need light to see who is talking to you :))

    >>>(POP! ... sound of flash recycling, punctuated whoppity,
    >>>whoppity, whoppity sound of the Gitzo being used...)"

    >> Whoppity? That is a candidate for U-Tube.

    >>>I found that pretty funny, but helpful at the same time.

    > clearly there's a market for an updated version of that old
    > gentlemam's standby, the swordstick. Street photographers would like a
    > sword-monopod or the .45 calibre monopod :)

    I strongly dislike any kind of violence, so I'd never think of using my gear
    as weapons. Although I'd very much like to have a tank ride again....
    Complete, with machine gun, bayonet, helmet, 12 (empty) magazines, and
    disposable camera. (Just being a bit more formidable).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 28, 2008
  6. Chris H

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote

    > clearly there's a market for an updated version of that old
    > gentlemam's standby, the swordstick. Street photographers would like a
    > sword-monopod or the .45 calibre monopod :)

    Or that good old standby, the Bulgarian poison-tipped umbrella!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Jun 29, 2008
  7. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Chris Malcolm
    <> writes
    >Chris H <> wrote:
    >> In message <>, Troy Piggins
    >> <> writes

    >> Good idea... you often need light to see who is talking to you :))

    >>>(POP! ... sound of flash recycling, punctuated whoppity,
    >>>whoppity, whoppity sound of the Gitzo being used...)"

    >> Whoppity? That is a candidate for U-Tube.

    >>>I found that pretty funny, but helpful at the same time.

    >clearly there's a market for an updated version of that old
    >gentlemam's standby, the swordstick. Street photographers would like a
    >sword-monopod or the .45 calibre monopod :)

    Sword sticks are illegal in the UK AFAIK and as they are trying to ban
    knives and swords in general at the moment It might be illegal as a
    sword anyway soon....
    :-(

    Chris H, Jun 29, 2008