Re: Photography in UK: What's the scoop?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2012.

  1. > I've heard a ton of horror stories about taking pics in the UK, London
    > in particular.
    >
    > Just wondering what the real scoop is on what one has to be careful
    > of...
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    I think if you are a tourist taking their type of subjects there would be
    no problem.

    I've only ever been asked to stop in shopping malls (when I was
    photographing the architecture, not the people, but using a DSLR rather
    than a point-and-shoot). That was twice with 40+ years of photography. I
    believe the same may be true in the US or Canada, as these places are
    privately owned.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2012

  2. "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Thanks, David, for the info. It sounds much like the situation in
    > Canada.
    >
    > My biggest problem is that I like shooting pics of Mich while in mall
    > foodcourts. There's always stuff happening in the background; colours
    > tend to be interesting, and I can take my time to analyze the sounds
    > around where I'm sitting in order to get a rough idea of how things are
    > laid out.

    Yes, I can appreciate that. We have one political commentator who is
    blind, and there's a general appreciate to guide dogs (and a fondness for
    dogs), so it shouldn't be too bad.

    > The problem is that a scruffy-looking guy with a big dog and a camera
    > seem to spell child-molester for all the young moms in the mall. And,
    > if my camera even remotely points in the direction of a child, the mom's
    > got a security guard over to chat with me in two shakes of Mich's tail.

    Possibly we are a little more tolerant, and perhaps a little more
    sympathetic.

    > I have to admit that I've gotten some good pics of kids and my guides in
    > situations like this (see
    > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/DimaAndBoy.jpg), and I've entered
    > into many a discussion about the limits / capabilities of blindness with
    > a ton of good people who watch me with interest, but it's also brought
    > about more attention than I'd prefer from the local security squads ...
    > :)
    >
    > Oh, well, what can a guy do -- just grin and bear it.
    >
    > In the UK, it shouldn't be a problem, though, as I'll be more into those
    > touristy shots. My wife figures that, if anybody can get a Beefeater to
    > blink, it'll be me...
    >
    > If you spot me trudging around, I hope you'll say hello.
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    I would, but I tend to avoid London as much as possible - too dirty and
    noisy! But that was a few years back. I prefer the somewhat gentler pace
    of life in Scotland, and find much to praise about Edinburgh (plenty for
    tourists to see and do as well, Edinburgh Caste, Crown Jewels, multiple
    festivals). [Just don't mention the trams or the cost of the Scottish
    Parliament buildings....]

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2012

  3. > I'll be in the north west highlands for the first three weeks of May,
    > touring between Ullapool and Kylesku.
    >
    > --
    > Graham

    An excellent time of year for a visit!

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 25, 2012
  4. David J Taylor

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 25 Mar 2012 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > Actually, it looks like I'll be in the northern part of England and
    > Scotland for a while as well. It's my first trip to the UK, so I'm
    > hoping to check out as much as I can, and snap as many picx as
    > possible.

    Point out to Mich that the traditional doggie greeting may not be so well
    received in Scotland...

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Mar 26, 2012
  5. David J Taylor

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/26/2012 5:57 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Graham"<> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:47:30 -0600, Dudley Hanks,
    >> <news:> expounded this
    >> theory:
    >>
    >>> Actually, it looks like I'll be in the northern part of England and
    >>> Scotland
    >>> for a while as well. It's my first trip to the UK, so I'm hoping to
    >>> check
    >>> out as much as I can, and snap as many picx as possible.

    >> How will you be travelling around the country?
    >>

    > Most of the time we'll be using a Brit Rail Pass. But, we might also rent a
    > car. My wife is from England; she knows all the ropes...
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Can't resist. Does she know the roads, too?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 30, 2012