Re: Photographs London Tower Bridge circa 1892

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012.

  1. David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012

  2. David J Taylor

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 9, 5:27 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "Eric Stevens" <> wrote in message

    > >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2067581/Stripped-youve-seen-P...

    > > Regards,

    > > Eric Stevens

    > Fascinating, Eric.
    >
    > I wonder whether we could have read a digital medium from that period, had
    > such existed.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    I think with lasers, any physical medium can be read if you have
    someone to develop the software. They even have lasers that can read
    old analog mediums. However, if for whatever reason there was no
    indication of what format it was in, that might be an issue. The
    bigger issue would be (as now) degradation of whatever medium was
    used.

    RichA, Jan 9, 2012

  3. >>I think with lasers, any physical medium can be read if you have
    >>someone to develop the software. They even have lasers that can read
    >>old analog mediums. However, if for whatever reason there was no
    >>indication of what format it was in, that might be an issue. The
    >>bigger issue would be (as now) degradation of whatever medium was
    >>used.

    > Can lasers read Flash memory?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    ... or hard disks?

    Remember all the problems reading the BBC's Domesday disks? And that was
    from just a quarter of a century ago, in 1986.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project#Domesday_Reloaded

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  4. David J Taylor <> wrote:
    >>>I think with lasers, any physical medium can be read if you have
    >>>someone to develop the software. They even have lasers that can read
    >>>old analog mediums. However, if for whatever reason there was no
    >>>indication of what format it was in, that might be an issue. The
    >>>bigger issue would be (as now) degradation of whatever medium was
    >>>used.

    >> Can lasers read Flash memory?

    >> Regards,

    >> Eric Stevens

    > .. or hard disks?

    > Remember all the problems reading the BBC's Domesday disks? And that was
    > from just a quarter of a century ago, in 1986.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project#Domesday_Reloaded

    Stupid, specialized format needing specialized, probably
    one-of-a-kind hardware. Never was cared for properly (i.e.
    moving to new media when appropriate).

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 8, 2012