Re: Photographing Where No Electricity Source

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Thomas, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >> 1 SLR doesn't have batteries of any kind.

    > What is it?
    >
    > BugBear

    I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
    need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
    nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
    cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:

    Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
    you lost was the metering.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 8, 2008

  2. Mark Thomas

    Steven Green Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:

    >>> I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
    >>> need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
    >>> nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
    >>> cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:
    >>>
    >>> Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
    >>> you lost was the metering.

    >> yes - but IIRC no batteries at all was rare.

    > There are quite a few fairly recent SLRs that work without batteries: the
    > OM-1n, FM2, and FM3a all work fine without batteries.

    I use a Mamiya TLR, no meter and totally mechanical.
    (still saving for my first DSLR)

    For a meter I just use a Kodak exposure chart and eyeball it.
    I bracket a bit just in case I am off, but I imagine the film/developing may
    not be cost effective in comparison to digital batteries.

    Alternatively I have a Contax Aria. It takes a battery but it lasts a long
    time. It is a manual focus camera and the battery is only there for the
    film motor and the metering.

    I am going camping for a week or so later this summer where I will be away
    from power and car for the entire time. I intend to take my Mamiya on that
    one.

    Steve

    Steven Green, Jul 8, 2008

  3. On 08-Jul-08 11:00:28, David J. Littleboy said
    >"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:

    >>> I think there may be more than one - certainly my old Zenit EM didn't
    >>> need no batteries, not even for its light meter. Sadly to use one
    >>> nowadays you would need to hunt down M42-mount lenses, and the selenium
    >>> cells used to only last 20 years or so... )O:
    >>>
    >>> Quite a few old slr's had fully mechanical shutters, so the only thing
    >>> you lost was the metering.

    >> yes - but IIRC no batteries at all was rare.

    >There are quite a few fairly recent SLRs that work without batteries: the
    >OM-1n, FM2, and FM3a all work fine without batteries.

    I'm pretty sure my original Zenith used no batteries - and had no meter,
    which was how I developed my awesome exposure estimatation abilities :)

    Later ('82) my Pentax ME Super included a 125th shutter mode where no
    batteries were required - as long as you used 125th!

    All the best,
    Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

    I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
    Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

    Angus Manwaring, Jul 8, 2008