Re: Photographing a White Cat

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Graham, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    West wrote:
    > My Nikon 5700 is having a terrible time locking focus on a white
    > kitten.

    I have a friend who has two black cats.

    Not only are they difficult to focus on, it is very difficult to get
    anything better than a silhouette of them! Bright sunlight which gives
    their fur a bit of colour seems to be the only answer.

    > If I focus lock on something near but same distance then reframe
    > the photo, I can get a decent picture, but the cat has moved by
    > then!!

    Sneak up on the cat whilst it is sleeping?

    Use a small aperture to maximise depth of field and set manual
    focus/focus lock, then try to keep the distance about right?

    Or, as someone else has already suggested, dye a stripe or fit the cat
    with a collar? :cool:

    Or of course you could photograph someone elses tabby?

    > And . . . its part siamese so I'm getting terrible red eye when
    > using a flash.

    I can see this could be a problem with any cat if it's looking at the
    camera, since they have HUGE pupils in low light.

    If you shoot in brighter light conditions then:

    A) You can use a smaller aperture to improve depth of field and get
    around the focus problem.

    B) You won't need flash.

    C) Even if you use flash fill, which you shouldn't need for a white cat,
    it's pupils won't be widely dilated, so the redeye won't be anywhere
    near as bad.

    Graham.

    One tabby, one torty.

    Graham, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Graham

    Rooker Guest

    >West wrote:
    >> My Nikon 5700 is having a terrible time locking focus on a white
    >> kitten.

    >I have a friend who has two black cats.

    I don't know if this will work with your model camera, but one of
    those cheap laser pointers with the attachment that turns the beam
    into a line with a "pointer" arrow (looks like this --------->)
    sometimes works for getting a focus lock. Of course then you may have
    trouble getting the cat to sit still as most of them seem to want to
    chase the laser beam <grin>.

    Rooker
    "If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!"

    Rooker, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Rooker wrote:
    > I don't know if this will work with your model camera, but one of
    > those cheap laser pointers with the attachment that turns the beam
    > into a line with a "pointer" arrow (looks like this --------->)
    > sometimes works for getting a focus lock.

    I have one of these laser pointers....

    > Of course then you may have trouble getting the cat to sit still as
    > most of them seem to want to chase the laser beam <grin>.

    They'll actually sit still staring at where they think it went when you
    turn it off, waiting for it to reappear so they can pounce.

    The trouble is I have two cats, so if I shine it on one cat for focus,
    I'll get a picture of the other cat pouncing.....

    Graham, Sep 3, 2003