Re: Photographing a White Cat

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph Meehan, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. For the most important parts I suggest following Martin's advice:

    Switch to manual focus, turn the gardamn flash off, dial in about 1.3+ stops
    of compensation and shoot away.

    The camera is not going to be able to focus properly unless the cat is
    sleeping and then it may be tricky.

    Exposure of a white cat is tricky so use his exposure suggestion.

    Turning the flash off will eliminate the red eye. Another alternative
    is to use an off camera flash. The flash is just too close to the lens and
    you get a reflection from the inside of the eye.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "West" <> wrote in message
    > My Nikon 5700 is having a terrible time locking focus on a white kitten.

    If

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Joseph Meehan

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:51:20 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Robert Polk"
    <> wrote:

    >Normal red eye corrections in software do not handle problems with animal
    >eyes. Camera stores even sell special pens for animal eye prints.

    PSP's red-eye removal tool has a specific settings for human and
    animal eyes.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Joseph Meehan

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Joseph Meehan

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 02 Sep 2003 13:54:51 GMT, in rec.photo.digital et
    (HRosita) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Here is a url that points to a white balance tutorial:
    >
    >http://www.eagles-nest.org/B671901007/C1804847548/E212204200/
    >
    >Might help with a white cat
    >Rosita

    Sorry, but despite what the title and text claim to purport this is NOT a
    tutorial on color/white balance aspects of the 5700. The only mention of
    the 5700 is it has manual WB and WB bracketing. Other than that it isn't
    very helpful, or more helpful than say review on DPReview or
    Steve's-Digicams.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 4, 2003