Re: Photographers don't need Mac!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    From: "Linda_N" <>
    Subject: Date: October 23, 2004 3:11 PM

    Schools with PC machines makes far more sense in this day and age.

    1. Students who go into the business world will feel more comfortable with
    their PC training than they will Mac (most businesses have PCs not Macs. The
    exception of course being graphics and print related business, but High
    School is training students for much more than those industries.)

    2. You can get more PCs for the same budget amount so more students will
    have access at one time, or you could decide to spend less on equipment (but
    still have the same number of machines) and invest the rest in software or
    books or videos or other resources you always wanted to benefit the students
    more.

    3. There is as much, if not more, PC software available than there is for
    Macs (without converting I mean).

    4. Freeware and shareware programs in the PC market far surpass like
    programs being developed for Macs.

    5. Upgrading is cheaper because there is so much clone name stuff out there.

    6. More people fix PCs than Macs.

    There are probably other good reasons to go with PC.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Linda_N

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <LQOed.126$>,
    "Linda_N" <> wrote:

    > From: "Linda_N" <>
    > Subject: Date: October 23, 2004 3:11 PM
    >
    > Schools with PC machines makes far more sense in this day and age.
    >
    > 1. Students who go into the business world will feel more comfortable with
    > their PC training than they will Mac (most businesses have PCs not Macs. The
    > exception of course being graphics and print related business, but High
    > School is training students for much more than those industries.)

    This has been a stupid argument for a good 20 years.

    By the time a highschool sophomore finishes college and gets into
    fulltime work in the business world, whatever she was using in
    highschool has been obsolete for several years.

    Steve Hix, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Linda_N

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Linda_N"
    Date: Sun, Oct 24, 2004 9:32 AM >><BR><BR>

    SNIP

    6. More people fix PCs than Macs.

    <<
    Well you got one thing right out of 6.

    FredBillie, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    "Steve Hix" <> wrote in message
    > In article <LQOed.126$>,
    > "Linda_N" <> wrote:
    >
    >> From: "Linda_N" <>
    >> Subject: Date: October 23, 2004 3:11 PM
    >>
    >> Schools with PC machines makes far more sense in this day and age.
    >>
    >> 1. Students who go into the business world will feel more comfortable
    >> with
    >> their PC training than they will Mac (most businesses have PCs not Macs.
    >> The
    >> exception of course being graphics and print related business, but High
    >> School is training students for much more than those industries.)

    > This has been a stupid argument for a good 20 years.
    >
    > By the time a highschool sophomore finishes college and gets into
    > fulltime work in the business world, whatever she was using in
    > highschool has been obsolete for several years.

    That has nothing to do with the point. If a person is trained on a Mac
    through school they ARE LOST when they are placed in a PC environment. PCs
    control a very large majority of the business world, the last time I looked
    only 16% of business had Macs and of that 16%, 90% were doing business
    related to graphic design/publishing.

    It is only 'a stupid argument' because you don't agree, but your disagreeing
    doesn't change the reality of facts that PC is what the business world
    supports, and therefore students should be trained on PCs as well.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Linda_N

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <SdPfd.233$>,
    "Linda_N" <> wrote:

    > "Steve Hix" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <LQOed.126$>,
    > > "Linda_N" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> From: "Linda_N" <>
    > >> Subject: Date: October 23, 2004 3:11 PM
    > >>
    > >> Schools with PC machines makes far more sense in this day and age.
    > >>
    > >> 1. Students who go into the business world will feel more comfortable
    > >> with
    > >> their PC training than they will Mac (most businesses have PCs not Macs.
    > >> The
    > >> exception of course being graphics and print related business, but High
    > >> School is training students for much more than those industries.)

    > > This has been a stupid argument for a good 20 years.
    > >
    > > By the time a highschool sophomore finishes college and gets into
    > > fulltime work in the business world, whatever she was using in
    > > highschool has been obsolete for several years.

    > That has nothing to do with the point. If a person is trained on a Mac
    > through school they ARE LOST when they are placed in a PC environment. PCs
    > control a very large majority of the business world, the last time I looked
    > only 16% of business had Macs and of that 16%, 90% were doing business
    > related to graphic design/publishing.
    >
    > It is only 'a stupid argument' because you don't agree, but your disagreeing
    > doesn't change the reality of facts that PC is what the business world
    > supports, and therefore students should be trained on PCs as well.

    I don't know what sort of students you have experience with, I don't
    know of anyone who couldn't make the switch in more than a couple of
    hours.

    Not that they particularly liked the experience, mind, but it wasn't
    difficult.

    And few, if any, wanted to switch to the PC for their own personal use.

    Steve Hix, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Linda_N

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <SdPfd.233$>, Linda_N
    <> wrote:

    > That has nothing to do with the point. If a person is trained on a Mac
    > through school they ARE LOST when they are placed in a PC environment. PCs
    > control a very large majority of the business world, the last time I looked
    > only 16% of business had Macs and of that 16%, 90% were doing business
    > related to graphic design/publishing.
    >
    > It is only 'a stupid argument' because you don't agree, but your disagreeing
    > doesn't change the reality of facts that PC is what the business world
    > supports, and therefore students should be trained on PCs as well.
    >
    > Linda

    And another moron joins the group. Do you honestly think anyone under
    the age of 25 as of right now had to be "trained" to use anything
    related to computers while they were in school?

    Or are you bringing up the training issue because you, personally, had
    to be trained to use your computer and therefore assume everyone else
    is just as dumb as you?

    sjs031, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Linda_N

    Mark M Guest

    "sjs031" <> wrote in message
    > In article <SdPfd.233$>, Linda_N
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > That has nothing to do with the point. If a person is trained on a Mac
    > > through school they ARE LOST when they are placed in a PC environment.

    PCs
    > > control a very large majority of the business world, the last time I

    looked
    > > only 16% of business had Macs and of that 16%, 90% were doing business
    > > related to graphic design/publishing.
    > >
    > > It is only 'a stupid argument' because you don't agree, but your

    disagreeing
    > > doesn't change the reality of facts that PC is what the business world
    > > supports, and therefore students should be trained on PCs as well.
    > >
    > > Linda

    > And another moron joins the group. Do you honestly think anyone under
    > the age of 25 as of right now had to be "trained" to use anything
    > related to computers while they were in school?
    >
    > Or are you bringing up the training issue because you, personally, had
    > to be trained to use your computer and therefore assume everyone else
    > is just as dumb as you?

    I can only assume that you are TRYING to be an ass.
    Nobody could really be as stupid as you sound.

    Mark M, Oct 31, 2004
  8. Linda_N

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <0H0hd.195428$a85.108109@fed1read04>, Mark M
    <> wrote:

    > "sjs031" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <SdPfd.233$>, Linda_N
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > That has nothing to do with the point. If a person is trained on a Mac
    > > > through school they ARE LOST when they are placed in a PC environment.

    > PCs
    > > > control a very large majority of the business world, the last time I

    > looked
    > > > only 16% of business had Macs and of that 16%, 90% were doing business
    > > > related to graphic design/publishing.
    > > >
    > > > It is only 'a stupid argument' because you don't agree, but your

    > disagreeing
    > > > doesn't change the reality of facts that PC is what the business world
    > > > supports, and therefore students should be trained on PCs as well.
    > > >
    > > > Linda

    > > And another moron joins the group. Do you honestly think anyone under
    > > the age of 25 as of right now had to be "trained" to use anything
    > > related to computers while they were in school?
    > >
    > > Or are you bringing up the training issue because you, personally, had
    > > to be trained to use your computer and therefore assume everyone else
    > > is just as dumb as you?

    > I can only assume that you are TRYING to be an ass.
    > Nobody could really be as stupid as you sound.

    Hey Marky Mark - if you think the purpose of school is to teach
    students how to use a computer, you are truly very stupid.

    Or you've never spent any time with a person under 25 and watched them
    use a computer.

    sjs031, Oct 31, 2004
  9. Linda_N

    Mark M Guest

    "sjs031" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0H0hd.195428$a85.108109@fed1read04>, Mark M
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "sjs031" <> wrote in message

    Mac

    environment.
    > > PCs

    > > looked

    business

    > > disagreeing

    world

    > > > And another moron joins the group. Do you honestly think anyone under
    > > > the age of 25 as of right now had to be "trained" to use anything
    > > > related to computers while they were in school?
    > > >
    > > > Or are you bringing up the training issue because you, personally, had
    > > > to be trained to use your computer and therefore assume everyone else
    > > > is just as dumb as you?

    > > I can only assume that you are TRYING to be an ass.
    > > Nobody could really be as stupid as you sound.
    > >

    > Hey Marky Mark - if you think the purpose of school is to teach
    > students how to use a computer, you are truly very stupid.

    Who said anything about defining the purpose of school?

    > Or you've never spent any time with a person under 25 and watched them
    > use a computer.

    Wrong again.

    Mark M, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Linda_N

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark M responds:

    >> Hey Marky Mark - if you think the purpose of school is to teach
    >> students how to use a computer, you are truly very stupid.

    >Who said anything about defining the purpose of school?
    >
    >> Or you've never spent any time with a person under 25 and watched them
    >> use a computer.

    >Wrong again.

    Actually, people under 25 don't seem to be all that interested in the workings
    of the computer. Like their cars, they expect the machinery to work when the
    key (switch) is turned to "on". They are pretty good at making it dance through
    most operations, but highly abstract or technical stuff sends them to the phone
    and their pals, or to help lines (mostly to their friends after they try help
    lines a few times). Given enough pressure, some of them actually read about
    their computers and their programs.

    So, yeah, some classes exist for the purpose of teaching students of one age or
    another HOW to use their computers.

    Charlie Self
    "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
    pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

    Charlie Self, Oct 31, 2004