Re: Photo Software need recomendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Brennan, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Alan Brennan

    Alan Brennan Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:19:25 GMT
    Mike ( )
    Wrote

    > With the various hardware I have on the computer photoImpressions and ACDSee
    > 3.0. Each came with a different piece of equipment. I am a novice with the
    > digital camera, and I want to use a good but easy software program for the
    > images. A fried told me to forget they two programs already on the computer
    > and to get Paint Shop. Can someone recommend a program usable by a novice
    > that you can grow with.

    What do you want to do with your program?

    ACDSee 4.0 is a great picture manager, ie it is very good for sorting
    and viewing your pix. It has only rudimentary photo editing capability,
    but is quite good for the basic tasks which is all most people want:
    cropping, red eye reduction, rotating, and some very basic colour and
    sharpness manipulation. It has limited phot printing capability.
    Photoimpression 4.0 is a poor picture manager, but has moderate editing
    power, and lots of automated routines which make editing tasks very easy
    for a beginner. It has an excellent photo stitcher for making panoramas
    built in, and several other nifty features. It has a simple but useful
    printing ability
    Paint shop pro and Adobe Photoshop are very powerful, but very complex
    programs which will both allow you to do virtually anything you like
    with your pix, but both take quite a bit of learning. I prefer Paint
    Shop Pro, and it has quite good tutorials built into it, but really the
    choice between them is just a matter of taste.Neither are all that great
    as picture managers.
    A "halfway house" is Adobe Phtoshop Elements 2.0 which is a cut down
    version of Photoshop with a great number of automated routines. It is
    *way* cheaper as well.

    Essentially you will need to trade off ease of use against power. In
    making your choice you will need to ask yourself whether you actually
    need to pay for all the powerhouse features of the big two, and whether
    a) you have the time and inclination to learn them and b) whether what
    you want to do requires that amount of power.

    Alan Brennan, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Alan Brennan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:19:25 GMT
    > Mike ( )
    > Wrote
    >
    > > With the various hardware I have on the computer photoImpressions and ACDSee
    > > 3.0. Each came with a different piece of equipment. I am a novice with the
    > > digital camera, and I want to use a good but easy software program for the
    > > images. A fried told me to forget they two programs already on the computer
    > > and to get Paint Shop. Can someone recommend a program usable by a novice
    > > that you can grow with.
    > >

    > What do you want to do with your program?
    >
    > ACDSee 4.0 is a great picture manager, ie it is very good for sorting
    > and viewing your pix. It has only rudimentary photo editing capability,
    > but is quite good for the basic tasks which is all most people want:
    > cropping, red eye reduction, rotating, and some very basic colour and
    > sharpness manipulation. It has limited phot printing capability.

    all the time in the world to try to learn everything at once. Buy an
    older version of Ulead Photo Impact....I use ver 5.0; it is fabulously
    easy, yet very complex, but the very basic stuff is out front, and you
    can spend time learning the rest, on a gradual basis.

    Michael P Gabriel, Aug 7, 2003