Re: Photo Opportunity

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

    > On 2012-09-30 18:59:53 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:41:19 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> ...but my Ace in the hole trumps your mixed flush. I give you a one of
    >>> a kind, Northrop N9-MB.
    >>> < http://db.tt/U3eaNFp2 >

    >> I've already given you one of a kind - the Mosquito, but I can see
    >> that your is somewhat different.

    > However there are other Mosquitoes flying, disqualifying it as "One of
    > a kind", there is only one N9-MD.
    >

    >> Here is another one of a kind - the only surviving Avro Anson Mk1 from
    >> 76 years ago https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4616.jpg A light
    >> bomber, 300lb bomb load.

    > The folks at Duxford would disagree, as they have their fully restored
    > Anson Mk1 and they note theirs as one of a handful of survivors. There
    > are several Anson variants which are still flying Air Atlantique
    > Classic Flight of Coventry have a restored and fully flyable Mk21.
    >

    >>> and then there are these guys:
    >>> < http://db.tt/jBqCnrRQ >

    >> For some reason neither our Yak nor our Tempest 2 was flying that day.
    >> Pity.
    >>>
    >>> BTW: I don't mean to be picky, but did you use heavy noise reduction?

    >> No two are the same. I used noise reduction for some, but only as a
    >> consequence of sharpening. What made you ask and which ones are you
    >> referring to?

    > Both. The detail seems smeared, even with the Anson. It is worse with
    > the formation shot and the solo Mossie shot.
    >
    > You have good glass with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and you should be getting
    > better quality than I see in any of those shots.
    > Something is wrong. I suspect you are shooting wide open at f/2.8 and
    > that the problem is related to that.

    Yep, wide aperture. There are a couple of plugins for Firefox (and no
    doubt for other browsers) that let you pop up the EXIF info for an image
    with a right-click menu entry, and I find those *VERY* useful when
    looking at photos being discussed by other photographers. And thank you
    both for leaving the EXIF info intact!

    > I am using an AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G VR which is 1/3 the cost of the
    > premium glass you are using, and we are using the same camera. I have
    > cropped to get my final images. I can't see how you could possibly
    > make a quality crop with what you have shown us.
    >
    > Here is one of my unadjusted, uncropped shots compared with my
    > adjusted, cropped shot with nary a touch of sharpening applied. With
    > your glass & camera you should be able to get far more detailed images
    > of that Mossie.
    > <
    > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7bbj1se/b6RDgnbZ07/Shared Images/Aviation/WBP
    >>

    > Then, always apply noise reduction as the first part of the work flow,
    > not as an afterthought subsequent to sharpening. You can't fix over
    > sharpening with noise reduction.

    That does match my own early experiments, and what I consistently hear
    from printers more experienced than me. (We don't have a general word
    for the whole world of still image post-processing really. I tend to
    just say "printing".)

    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 1, 2012

  2. Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > I did my processing with NX2. It's Noise Reduction includes a slider
    > for 'Sharpening'. That's where I did the sharpenning after noise
    > reduction - just as much sharpening as the image will stand without
    > noise.

    As I understand it, that sharpening slider is merely to counter
    the softening induced by denoising.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 7, 2012