Re: Photo Opportunity to die for.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Polly the Parrott, Nov 15, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-14 20:02:49 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >
    >> Thanks very much to Gavin Conroy of Classic Aircraft Photography for
    >> providing this fab shot taken on 26 October from the back seat of
    >> Spitfire ZK-WDQ
    >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Mosquito_Vampire.jpg

    Any idea of gear used?

    >Nice air-to-air shot.

    Over what city would this be?
    Polly the Parrott, Nov 15, 2012

  2. Polly the Parrott <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>On 2012-11-14 20:02:49 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >>
    >>> Thanks very much to Gavin Conroy of Classic Aircraft Photography for
    >>> providing this fab shot taken on 26 October from the back seat of
    >>> Spitfire ZK-WDQ
    >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Mosquito_Vampire.jpg

    >Any idea of gear used?

    Nice meal, chef. What brand of pans did you use?

    >>Nice air-to-air shot.

    >Over what city would this be?

    One that provides a busy background that completely ruins the shot.

    Fortunately, the link in Eric's later post to work by the same
    photographer (Gavin Conroy) reveals that very few of his aircraft
    shots are similarly ruined.

    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a newsgroup which could more
    accurately be named rec.photo.old_men_and_their_boys'_toys is just the
    place to find links to images of boys' toys made with boys' toys ...

    Play on, guys! ;-)
    Anthony Polson, Nov 15, 2012

  3. Polly the Parrott

    DanP Guest

    On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:43:32 AM UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:14:35 +1100, Polly the Parrott
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck

    > ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >Any idea of gear used?

    > Possibly a Nikon D3 or D4 but I don't really know.
    >

    > Gavin Conroy is a professional who takes some wonderful shots.
    >
    > See http://tinyurl.com/ane6f9w
    >

    > http://cap-photography.blogspot.co.nz/ has a video of the flight on
    >
    > which the photograph was taken. Probably a 'must watch, if you are
    >
    > into these things.
    >

    > >>Nice air-to-air shot.

    > >Over what city would this be?

    > Auckland, New Zealand.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Eric Stevens

    Download the picture and look at EXIF data.
    Canon 1D Mark IV 40mm focal length.

    I guess the city is Auckland.

    DanP
    DanP, Nov 15, 2012
  4. Polly the Parrott

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:12:33 AM UTC, Anthony Polson wrote:
    > Polly the Parrott <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck

    > ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >Any idea of gear used?

    > Nice meal, chef. What brand of pans did you use?

    That can be quite inmportant when you care about food,
    doesn;t matter to me as I microwave my food.
    But if I wanted to becaime a chef or stand any chance of being a propoer cook I'd make sure I brought a set or pots & pans, not sure but Pors don;t seem to use non-stick and the pans they buy are far more expensive than the ones I need, not sure why though.

    Whisky-dave, Nov 15, 2012
  5. Polly the Parrott

    philo  Guest

    On 11/15/2012 02:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:14:35 +1100, Polly the Parrott
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > into these things.
    >

    >>> Nice air-to-air shot.

    >> Over what city would this be?

    > Auckland, New Zealand.

    LOL...on first glance I thought that was the Seattle Space Needle in the
    background

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo , Nov 15, 2012
  6. Polly the Parrott

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:08:46 +0000, Anthony Polson <>
    wrote:
    : Polly the Parrott <> wrote:
    : >On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:14:16 -0800, Savageduck
    : ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >>On 2012-11-14 20:02:49 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> Thanks very much to Gavin Conroy of Classic Aircraft Photography for
    : >>> providing this fab shot taken on 26 October from the back seat of
    : >>> Spitfire ZK-WDQ
    : >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Mosquito_Vampire.jpg
    : >
    : >Any idea of gear used?
    :
    : Nice meal, chef. What brand of pans did you use?

    That sarcasm is odd, coming from you. Isn't one of your main claims to
    competence your better-than-average knowledge and understanding of
    photographic equipment?

    : >>Nice air-to-air shot.
    : >
    : >Over what city would this be?
    :
    : One that provides a busy background that completely ruins the shot.

    At first I sort of agreed, but I changed my mind. The busy background does
    clash with the aeroplanes, but the very fact that they seem out of place over
    the city is a lot of what makes the picture work. A nondescript background
    would probably produce a less interesting picture.

    : Fortunately, the link in Eric's later post to work by the same
    : photographer (Gavin Conroy) reveals that very few of his aircraft
    : shots are similarly ruined.
    :
    : I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a newsgroup which could more
    : accurately be named rec.photo.old_men_and_their_boys'_toys is just the
    : place to find links to images of boys' toys made with boys' toys ...
    :
    : Play on, guys! ;-)

    Just can't resist, can you? Yeah, I suppose most of us are older than you. But
    maybe that gives you time to get your mind right before you reach our advanced
    age.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Nov 16, 2012