Re: Phone number for a house?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Aug 18, 2009.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Is there any way to get a phone number for a house? I suppose there's a
    > privacy thing that stops me from just contacting Telecom?
    >
    > Nothing sinister, I'm not a stalker or anything. Well, I am but not in
    > this case. For some weird reason Orcon would like me to get the houses
    > number so they can make sure the line is disconnected the day i move
    > into it (otherwise they can't do my adsl)....would have thought ORcon
    > could get that number a lot easier than me.

    If you can get into the house and use the phone (or a test telephone at
    the point of entry?) it's easy.

    EMB, Aug 18, 2009

  2. EMB

    Rhino Guest

    On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:51:50 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Bobs wrote:
    >> Is there any way to get a phone number for a house? I suppose there's a
    >> privacy thing that stops me from just contacting Telecom?
    >>
    >> Nothing sinister, I'm not a stalker or anything. Well, I am but not in
    >> this case. For some weird reason Orcon would like me to get the houses
    >> number so they can make sure the line is disconnected the day i move
    >> into it (otherwise they can't do my adsl)....would have thought ORcon
    >> could get that number a lot easier than me.

    >If you can get into the house and use the phone (or a test telephone at
    >the point of entry?) it's easy.

    Indeed. Just pickup the phone and dial 1957 and Telecom will play the
    number back to you.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Aug 18, 2009

  3. EMB

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 18, 9:26 pm, Rhino <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:51:50 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    > >Bobs wrote:
    > >> Is there any way to get a phone number for a house? I suppose there's a
    > >> privacy thing that stops me from just contacting Telecom?

    > >> Nothing sinister, I'm not a stalker or anything. Well, I am but not in
    > >> this case. For some weird reason Orcon would like me to get the houses
    > >> number so they can make sure the line is disconnected the day i move
    > >> into it (otherwise they can't do my adsl)....would have thought ORcon
    > >> could get that number a lot easier than me.

    > >If you can get into the house and use the phone (or a test telephone at
    > >the point of entry?) it's easy.

    > Indeed.  Just pickup the phone and dial 1957 and Telecom will play the
    > number back to you.
    >
    > Cheers, Rhino

    And 511 for TelstraClear phones (for Wellington don't know about
    Christchurch).

    peterwn, Aug 18, 2009