Re: Phase One, bunch of damn fools?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DMac, May 26, 2009.

  1. DMac

    DMac Guest

    Matt Clara wrote:
    > I use PhaseOne's Capture One software, and have for several years. When
    > Capture One moved from version 3 to 4, there were many changes made. As
    > in, it's completely different. While I'm sure it's more powerful, it's
    > also no longer intuitive. How intuitive was it? I never once read a
    > manual or checked a helpfile with version 3. With version 4, I find
    > myself consulting it for even little things. BUT, that's not what I'm
    > here to bitch about. No, I'm not. I wanted to send a message to them,
    > sharing my experience, and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how
    > to simply send them an email. There may be a way if I could remember my
    > login info, or cared enough to dig through back up discs to find it.
    > Other than that, they want to send you to their "partners," i.e., camera
    > stores that sell their goods. Like they care. All of this leave me a
    > bit annoyed, and perplexed, as the, "we don't give a shit what you have
    > to say" treatment is what one might expect from a really big
    > corporation, like MS, not from a tiny niche player like PhaseOne.
    > That is all.

    You're not alone in your frustration Matt. I went through the same thing
    with Photodex and DXO. With DXO they license you to use the software on
    2 computers but when one gets stolen (the laptop) getting its license
    cancelled and another one issued took 2 weeks! At least it happened.

    I too need to contact phase one but my record of user names and
    passwords was on the laptop. I sent a message to
    the listed technical support person for both phaseone.com and
    captureone.com domains and it bounced.

    Legally they have to keep contact records for domains up to date and
    working.

    After all this crap I discovered that you can create a new profile and
    use it to gain access to their support form. It's day 11 now and I still
    haven't heard from them but in the mean time I did discover Nikon
    Capture NX2 does just as good a job on my Nikon files as C1 did!

    For me it has reached the point where I'll be phoning the company and
    demanding a refund. The application stopped working with the message my
    serial number is invalid. Probably the thief who pinched the laptop put
    it up on some pirate software site.

    The situation of downloading expensive software and being left to your
    own resources is only going to get worse. Even the mongrels who offer "a
    full refund is not completely satisfied" sit back in silence as you try
    to get the refund and never do.

    It's called "Rafferty's rules" in Australia. The only time it's illegal
    is when you get caught out doing it.
    DMac, May 26, 2009

  2. DMac <> wrote:

    [stolen laptop]
    > I too need to contact phase one but my record of user names and
    > passwords was on the laptop.

    [...]
    > The situation of downloading expensive software and being left to your
    > own resources is only going to get worse.

    Lessons (hopefully) learned:
    1. Encrypt your laptop
    2. have up-to-date backups, including from your laptop

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 27, 2009

  3. DMac

    DMac Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > DMac <> wrote:
    >
    > [stolen laptop]
    >> I too need to contact phase one but my record of user names and
    >> passwords was on the laptop.

    > [...]
    >> The situation of downloading expensive software and being left to your
    >> own resources is only going to get worse.

    > Lessons (hopefully) learned:
    > 1. Encrypt your laptop
    > 2. have up-to-date backups, including from your laptop
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    We all have hind sight Wolfgang but thanks for the timely reminder!
    DMac, May 27, 2009