Re: Perfect lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Sieving, Apr 10, 2013.

  1. Mark Sieving

    Mark Sieving Guest

    On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:06:36 AM UTC-5, Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > The natural plane of focus is spherical and the plane the designer is
    > aiming for is flat and vertical to the centre line of the lens.

    I wonder if it would be possible or feasible to manufacture a digital sensor with a spherical surface.

    Mark Sieving, Apr 10, 2013

  2. Mark Sieving

    David Taylor Guest

    On 10/04/2013 20:52, Mark Sieving wrote:
    > On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:06:36 AM UTC-5, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >>
    >> The natural plane of focus is spherical and the plane the designer is
    >> aiming for is flat and vertical to the centre line of the lens.

    > I wonder if it would be possible or feasible to manufacture a digital sensor with a spherical surface.

    I recall they have done something similar for satellites, with a matrix
    of sensors.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Apr 11, 2013

  3. Mark Sieving

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Sieving <> wrote:
    >On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:06:36 AM UTC-5, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >>
    >> The natural plane of focus is spherical and the plane the designer is
    >> aiming for is flat and vertical to the centre line of the lens.

    >I wonder if it would be possible or feasible to manufacture a digital
    >sensor with a spherical surface.

    It would have to be matched to a particular lens or mirror and a specific
    focusing distance (most likely infinity). Some telescope designs work
    that way. For an ILC, a flat sensor and optics compatible with its
    flatness are probably the only workable solution.

    Paul Ciszek, Apr 11, 2013
  4. On 4/10/2013 2:52 PM, Mark Sieving wrote:> On Tuesday, April 2, 2013
    4:06:36 AM UTC-5, Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >> The natural plane of focus is spherical and the plane the designer is
    >> aiming for is flat and vertical to the centre line of the lens.

    > I wonder if it would be possible or feasible to manufacture a digital

    sensor with a spherical surface.

    Yes. DARPA paid vast amounts to develop them. People in my
    department got bundles of it. They and others succeeded.
    But of course, to get a benefit, the curvature has
    to match the optical system.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Apr 18, 2013