Re: People here seem to be amused by high ASCII

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lars Eighner, Aug 18, 2009.

  1. Lars Eighner

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>,
    the lovely and talented Van Chocstraw
    broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > It's like when you first discover masturbation. Can't leave it alone.

    There's no such thing as high ASCII.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> September 5831, 1993
    210 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.
    Lars Eighner, Aug 18, 2009

  2. Lars Eighner

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lars Eighner:

    Subject: People here seem to be amused by high ASCII

    > There's no such thing as high ASCII.

    The term means 'something other than normal 7bit ascii' to me.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII The term extended ASCII (or
    high ASCII) describes eight-bit or larger character encodings that
    include the standard seven-bit ASCII characters as well as others. The
    use of the term is sometimes criticized, because it can be mistakenly
    interpreted that the ASCII standard has been updated to include more
    than 128 characters or that the term unambiguously identifies a single
    encoding, both of which are untrue.

    And Lars attribution line is too fluffy IMO.

    Mike Easter, Aug 18, 2009

  3. Lars Eighner

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-18, Lars Eighner <> wrote:
    > In our last episode,
    > <>,
    > the lovely and talented Van Chocstraw
    > broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> It's like when you first discover masturbation. Can't leave it alone.

    > There's no such thing as high ASCII.

    ______________________________________
    < There could be an ASCII high, though >
    --------------------------------------
    \
    \
    __