Re: Pentium D920 only as uniprocessor.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rob Perkins, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    wrote:
    > Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
    > 920.
    >
    > I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
    > two, just one..


    I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios
    version 501, carrying a Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.

    I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by
    updating the BIOS from version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS
    directions (and I have to confess that the flashing program was slick...)

    Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP
    x64, but the installation did not replace the HAL components to enable
    the other core.

    The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine.
    How do I fix this?

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 9, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob Perkins

    David Vair Guest

    I think that when you are doing the repair, if you hit F5 when it prompts for the F6 for additional
    drivers that it will prompt you to select the HAL.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "Rob Perkins" <> wrote in message news:...
    > wrote:
    >> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
    >> 920.
    >>
    >> I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
    >> two, just one..

    >
    > I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios version 501, carrying a
    > Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.
    >
    > I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by updating the BIOS from
    > version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS directions (and I have to confess that the flashing
    > program was slick...)
    >
    > Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP x64, but the installation
    > did not replace the HAL components to enable the other core.
    >
    > The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine. How do I fix this?
    >
    > Rob
     
    David Vair, Feb 9, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hello Rob,
    You may want to try this update. It doesn't reference XP X64 (only x64
    Server versions are referenced) but it certainly sounds like the same issue.

    899656 Not all processors on some multiprocessor computers are recognized
    by x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;899656

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    --------------------
    <From: Rob Perkins <>
    <Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,m
    icrosoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
    <Subject: Re: Pentium D920 only as uniprocessor.
    <Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:18:25 -0800
    <Organization: Finite Solutions, Inc.
    <Lines: 22
    <Message-ID: <>
    <References: <>
    <Reply-To:
    <Mime-Version: 1.0
    <Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
    <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <X-Trace: individual.net ixW5pVxt2IU7mFn2nTAoXwl8j+3pHnEi+xskN7kBxby7oenDx0
    <User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Macintosh/20050716)
    <X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
    <In-Reply-To: <>
    <Path:
    TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfe
    ed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!n
    ot-for-mail
    <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:29479
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment:147235
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware:272838
    <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    < wrote:
    <> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
    <> 920.
    <>
    <> I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
    <> two, just one..
    <
    <I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios
    <version 501, carrying a Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.
    <
    <I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by
    <updating the BIOS from version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS
    <directions (and I have to confess that the flashing program was slick...)
    <
    <Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP
    <x64, but the installation did not replace the HAL components to enable
    <the other core.
    <
    <The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine.
    <How do I fix this?
    <
    <Rob
    <
     
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Feb 9, 2006
    #3
  4. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
    > Hello Rob,
    > You may want to try this update. It doesn't reference XP X64 (only x64
    > Server versions are referenced) but it certainly sounds like the same issue.
    >
    > 899656 Not all processors on some multiprocessor computers are recognized
    > by x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;899656


    OK. I applied a repair install, pressing f5 to choose the multiprocessor
    HAL. No change.

    After applying the patch, the hardware Device manager still reports the
    computer as "ACPI Uniprocessor x64-based PC", with only one entry for
    the processor in the "Processors" section. That entry reads "Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz.

    I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
    then reapply this patch.

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 9, 2006
    #4
  5. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 onlyas uniprocessor.)

    Rob Perkins wrote:

    > I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
    > then reapply this patch.


    Windows Update complete, no change; the system is only using one core.

    Where do I go from here?

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 9, 2006
    #5
  6. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
    single core mode only.
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5ND2-SLI

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Rob Perkins wrote:
    > Rob Perkins wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to apply everything I can think of from Windows Update, and
    >> then reapply this patch.

    >
    > Windows Update complete, no change; the system is only using one core.
    >
    > Where do I go from here?
    >
    > Rob
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 10, 2006
    #6
  7. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 onlyas uniprocessor.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
    > single core mode only.
    > http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5ND2-SLI


    No... That matrix shows the D820 in single core only support. Mine is a
    D830. I'm in a conversation now with ASUS where they guarantee that dual
    core support is available with my BIOS version, the D830, and XP x64.

    This is beginning to be more than a little frustrating.

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 10, 2006
    #7
  8. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them, Intel
    was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly so
    shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but then
    they were good to go without further issues.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Rob Perkins wrote:
    > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >> See the ASUS web site. The D830 is listed as supported on that mobo in
    >> single core mode only.
    >> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5ND2-SLI

    >
    > No... That matrix shows the D820 in single core only support. Mine is a
    > D830. I'm in a conversation now with ASUS where they guarantee that dual
    > core support is available with my BIOS version, the D830, and XP x64.
    >
    > This is beginning to be more than a little frustrating.
    >
    > Rob
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 10, 2006
    #8
  9. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 onlyas uniprocessor.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them, Intel
    > was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly so
    > shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but then
    > they were good to go without further issues.
    >


    They assured me by phone that the latest BIOS update correctly describes
    the D830 processor.

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 10, 2006
    #9
  10. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    Hello Rob,
    So have they tried running Windows on these motherboards with these
    processors and do they see the same issue as you or does it work properly
    for them?
    If it works properly for them, then it's a matter of detereming what is
    different between what they are testing with and what you are using.
    My first thought is the same as Charlies, that the indications are that
    there is a bios issue.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    --------------------
    <From: Rob Perkins <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Subject: Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only
    < as uniprocessor.)
    <Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:35:29 -0800
    <Lines: 11
    <Message-ID: <>
    <References: <>
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <ucF#> <>
    <uixJ#>
    <Mime-Version: 1.0
    <Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
    <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <X-Trace: individual.net rBT/HE6RGdlWrCwrtLtAOgWy2qDbK0l3wX8Wo2eaS4NBsNh+zo
    <User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Macintosh/20050716)
    <X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
    <In-Reply-To: <uixJ#>
    <Path:
    TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfe
    ed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!n
    ot-for-mail
    <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:29546
    <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    <> It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them,
    Intel
    <> was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly so
    <> shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but
    then
    <> they were good to go without further issues.
    <>
    <
    <They assured me by phone that the latest BIOS update correctly describes
    <the D830 processor.
    <
    <Rob
    <
     
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Feb 11, 2006
    #10
  11. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    Note that I just swapped out a Athlon 64 3500+ for an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ -
    Machine came up, no prompt for a new activation, prompted that it installed
    new hardware (still only one CPU showing), and to reboot. Rebooted, two CPUs
    showing.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
    > Hello Rob,
    > So have they tried running Windows on these motherboards with these
    > processors and do they see the same issue as you or does it work properly
    > for them?
    > If it works properly for them, then it's a matter of detereming what is
    > different between what they are testing with and what you are using.
    > My first thought is the same as Charlies, that the indications are that
    > there is a bios issue.
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    > --------------------
    > <From: Rob Perkins <>
    > <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    > <Subject: Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830
    > only < as uniprocessor.)
    > <Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:35:29 -0800
    > <Lines: 11
    > <Message-ID: <>
    > <References: <>
    > <> <>
    > <> <>
    > <ucF#> <>
    > <uixJ#>
    > <Mime-Version: 1.0
    > <Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
    > <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > <X-Trace: individual.net
    > rBT/HE6RGdlWrCwrtLtAOgWy2qDbK0l3wX8Wo2eaS4NBsNh+zo <User-Agent: Mozilla
    > Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Macintosh/20050716) <X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
    > <In-Reply-To: <uixJ#>
    > <Path:
    > TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfe
    > ed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!n
    > ot-for-mail
    > <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:29546
    > <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    > <
    > <Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > <> It definitely sounds like an ASUS problem. though in fairness to them,
    > Intel
    > <> was a bit shaky about dual core requirements -- things are not nearly
    > so <> shaky on the AMD side. There, most folks required a BIOS update, but
    > then
    > <> they were good to go without further issues.
    > <>
    > <
    > <They assured me by phone that the latest BIOS update correctly describes
    > <the D830 processor.
    > <
    > <Rob
    > <
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 11, 2006
    #11
  12. Rob Perkins

    Rob Perkins Guest

    Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 onlyas uniprocessor.)

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
    > Hello Rob,
    > So have they tried running Windows on these motherboards with these
    > processors and do they see the same issue as you or does it work properly
    > for them?


    It works properly for them, is what is claimed.

    Nevertheless, after several attempts Saturday to do something about
    this, I gave up, took back the Intel proc and the nForce mobo, and
    replaced it with something based on an AMD Athlon 64 3800. And wouldn't
    you know it: ACIP Multiprocessor HAL, and two processor devices in the
    device manager.

    I'm not really willing to call this exclusively a "hardware problem",
    since the BIOS on that ASUS mobo was reporting two processors. And a
    copy of Knoppix I installed also reported, with a lot more verbosity,
    two cores on one socketed processor. I maintain a belief that it is an
    interaction problem between Windows and that combination of proc and mobo.

    In any case, though, the AMD setup seems to be running faster than the
    Intel setup did. Who knew? (not me! this is my first AMD in over five
    years...)

    Rob
     
    Rob Perkins, Feb 12, 2006
    #12
  13. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    Yes, the AMD processors have been running faster than Intel for a while. And
    this from someone who always bought Intel until my first x64, when there
    wasn't an Intel out yet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Rob Perkins wrote:
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
    >> Hello Rob,
    >> So have they tried running Windows on these motherboards with these
    >> processors and do they see the same issue as you or does it work properly
    >> for them?

    >
    > It works properly for them, is what is claimed.
    >
    > Nevertheless, after several attempts Saturday to do something about
    > this, I gave up, took back the Intel proc and the nForce mobo, and
    > replaced it with something based on an AMD Athlon 64 3800. And wouldn't
    > you know it: ACIP Multiprocessor HAL, and two processor devices in the
    > device manager.
    >
    > I'm not really willing to call this exclusively a "hardware problem",
    > since the BIOS on that ASUS mobo was reporting two processors. And a
    > copy of Knoppix I installed also reported, with a lot more verbosity,
    > two cores on one socketed processor. I maintain a belief that it is an
    > interaction problem between Windows and that combination of proc and mobo.
    >
    > In any case, though, the AMD setup seems to be running faster than the
    > Intel setup did. Who knew? (not me! this is my first AMD in over five
    > years...)
    >
    > Rob
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2006
    #13
  14. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Yes, the AMD processors have been running faster than Intel for a
    > while. And this from someone who always bought Intel until my
    > first x64, when there wasn't an Intel out yet.


    I believe since the first Athlons that AMD gives you a little more
    speed for the money. I hear Intel is working on a whole bunch of new
    stuff so that may not be true in the future but I'll keep using AMD for
    now.... as a matter of fact, my budget says I'm going to continue using
    this particular AMD chip (and this particular PC) in the foreseeable
    future... <sigh>
     
    David R. Norton MVP, Feb 13, 2006
    #14
  15. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor.)

    I hear that. Though I did just manage to find a way to get a good price for
    my 3500+ and that let me put a 3800+ in its place. It was a virtual machine
    server so it will really take advantage of the extra CPU.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    David R. Norton MVP wrote:
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> Yes, the AMD processors have been running faster than Intel for a
    >> while. And this from someone who always bought Intel until my
    >> first x64, when there wasn't an Intel out yet.

    >
    > I believe since the first Athlons that AMD gives you a little more
    > speed for the money. I hear Intel is working on a whole bunch of new
    > stuff so that may not be true in the future but I'll keep using AMD for
    > now.... as a matter of fact, my budget says I'm going to continue using
    > this particular AMD chip (and this particular PC) in the foreseeable
    > future... <sigh>
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2006
    #15
  16. FYI - I'm having the same issue with Abit N18. I've updated BIOS, installed
    ACPI Multiprocessor, still only one cpu showing up.

    "David Vair" wrote:

    > I think that when you are doing the repair, if you hit F5 when it prompts for the F6 for additional
    > drivers that it will prompt you to select the HAL.
    > --
    > Dave Vair
    > CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
    >
    > "Rob Perkins" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > wrote:
    > >> Motherboard is Abit NI8 SLI GR and the processor is Intel (Pentiu) D
    > >> 920.
    > >>
    > >> I have now installed XP Pro UK SP2, that doesn't see the processor as
    > >> two, just one..

    > >
    > > I'm having exactly the same problem. but with an ASUS P5ND2-SLI (bios version 501, carrying a
    > > Pentium D 830, and trying to run XP x64 Edition.
    > >
    > > I installed x64 Edition and discovered the problem, and followed up by updating the BIOS from
    > > version 101 to 501, according to the ASUS directions (and I have to confess that the flashing
    > > program was slick...)
    > >
    > > Now, The BIOS POST reports "2 CPU's". I ran a repair installation of XP x64, but the installation
    > > did not replace the HAL components to enable the other core.
    > >
    > > The whole point of this exercise was to get into a dual core machine. How do I fix this?
    > >
    > > Rob

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Feb 22, 2006
    #16
  17. Re: Pentium D830 only as uniprocessor. (was Re: Pentium D830 only

    HI I have the same MB ASUS P5ND2-SLI Pentium D 830 and when I first booted my
    computer I had the same problem. Only one processor showing. I upgraded the
    BIOS and then reinstalled win xp 64 plus upgraded the nforce4 chipset to the
    correct version for winXP 64 and it showed 2 processors after that. IO had
    more problems with getting the correct drivers for RAID to work and was
    unable to get the overclock software ap to install from ASUS. I think the
    overclock software may have been a lot of my troubles. I am currently using
    bios 3.04 and nforce4 chipset 6.56 (made for winxp 64 do not use 7.13 not
    winXP 64 compatable).

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > I hear that. Though I did just manage to find a way to get a good price for
    > my 3500+ and that let me put a 3800+ in its place. It was a virtual machine
    > server so it will really take advantage of the extra CPU.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > David R. Norton MVP wrote:
    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > > news::
    > >
    > >> Yes, the AMD processors have been running faster than Intel for a
    > >> while. And this from someone who always bought Intel until my
    > >> first x64, when there wasn't an Intel out yet.

    > >
    > > I believe since the first Athlons that AMD gives you a little more
    > > speed for the money. I hear Intel is working on a whole bunch of new
    > > stuff so that may not be true in the future but I'll keep using AMD for
    > > now.... as a matter of fact, my budget says I'm going to continue using
    > > this particular AMD chip (and this particular PC) in the foreseeable
    > > future... <sigh>

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmVibw==?=, Feb 23, 2006
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840 @ Viperlair

    Silverstrand, Jul 1, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    791
    unholy
    Jul 2, 2005
  2. Jeff Conescu

    ROWA laptop 1.4Ghz Pentium-M for only $999 Australian?

    Jeff Conescu, Jan 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    771
    Jeff Conescu
    Jan 14, 2005
  3. ff

    Pentium III motherboard into Pentium II case?

    ff, Oct 13, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    780
    Robert Baer
    Oct 16, 2005
  4. JedMeister

    Pentium 2 for only $700.00!!

    JedMeister, Feb 25, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    630
    Chris
    Feb 26, 2004
  5. Goodguy

    Pentium M 1.0 = Pentium 4 what = Athlon what?

    Goodguy, Jul 13, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    726
Loading...

Share This Page