Re: Pentax to Canon EOS adapter?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Nov 5, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Peabody <> wrote:

    >A friend has a Vivitar 28-200mm macro lens that appears to be a
    >Pentax KA mount lens. I can get it for a VERY reasonable price,
    >but my camera is a Canon XT. He says the lens is exactly like this
    >one except for the serial number:
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/380281295546
    >
    >I see that there are adapters that would allow me to use the lens
    >on my camera, but it would be completely manual, even as to
    >aperture.
    >
    >I would appreciate any advice on whether this is worth messing with
    >or would just be an exercise in frustration. Are there any
    >adapters with at least some electrical connections, so that I could
    >get some auto functions? Or, if that exists, would it cost more
    >than the lens is worth?

    There were several Vivitar 28-200mm lenses but they were all optically
    poor.

    There was one, and only one, good 28-210mm lens. It was made by Kino
    Precision of Japan ( Kiron). I don't know if any were sold under the
    Vivitar brand. The Kiron lens gave better results than many camera
    brand fixed focal length lenses of the same era, with excellent
    sharpness across the frame.

    You can mount any Pentax K or KA mount lens on a Canon EOS body with a
    simple, inexpensive adapter. Spend a little more and you can get an
    adapter with a chip that will give some interaction with the camera's
    CPU. The most useful thing is that you will get focus confirmation in
    the viewfinder.

    You leave the adapter on the lens and then the lens mounts to an EOS
    body like any other EF mount lens.

    You will have to use the lens in stopped down mode which means the
    viewfinder will be dim at smaller apertures. You will need to focus
    at full aperture and then stop down to the taking aperture and meter.
    You will have to use manual or aperture priority automatic exposure
    modes. Program and shutter priority modes will not be available.

    This is worth doing if the lens was made by Kiron. Otherwise, I
    wouldn't bother.
    Bruce, Nov 5, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Peabody <> wrote:

    >Bruce says...
    >
    > > This is worth doing if the lens was made by Kiron.
    > > Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

    >Well, from what I've found the 28-210 was made by Kiron, but
    >I can't find any Kiron connection to the 28-200 macro, which
    >I believe is a different lens.

    In that case it would probably be better to wait for a Kiron lens to
    come up on eBay in a mount that you can adapt to Canon EF. You can
    choose from Pentax K or KA, M42, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica and Nikon
    F, AI or AIS. Cheap adapters are available for all of these.

    In comparison to the Kiron, just about every other 28-200/210mm lens
    ever made is junk, including camera brand lenses. The Kiron really is
    that good.

    I have had mine converted with a CPU that talks to the camera CPU in
    order to allow matrix metering (among other things) on my Nikon-mount
    DSLRs.
    Bruce, Nov 6, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Peabody <> wrote:
    >Bruce says...
    > > You can mount any Pentax K or KA mount lens on a Canon
    > > EOS body with a simple, inexpensive adapter. Spend a
    > > little more and you can get an adapter with a chip that
    > > will give some interaction with the camera's CPU. The
    > > most useful thing is that you will get focus
    > > confirmation in the viewfinder.

    >I found the ones with the chip for about $17 on Ebay. I
    >think having focus confirmation would be worth paying that.
    >Those adapters report fixed "lens" information to the
    >camera, so that the lens always shows up as, for example, a
    >50mm 1.4.
    >
    >But then for a bit more money another version of the chip is
    >programmable through an amazingly complex sequence of camera
    >settings so that it provides "correct" aperture information,
    >and in some cases even focal length and focus micro
    >adjustment. So far as I can tell this is solely for the
    >benefit of the EXIF data, and if that's right, I would just
    >as soon do without it.

    The adapters have gotten cheaper since I bought mine. I was paying
    about $20 for the simple adapter and $30 with a chip. The $17 one
    with the chip looks like exceptional value.

    >Since my friend is going to give me the lens, I think I'll
    >spring for the adapter and hope for the best. If it doesn't
    >work out, well, that's just one of those things.

    That's wise. Even the worst lenses usually produce quite reasonable
    results at f/8 or f/11, so stay close to those apertures and you
    should be fine.

    You can always use the adapter for another Pentax mount lens. For
    example, the 135mm f/3.5 sells for very low prices yet is a superb
    performer.
    Bruce, Nov 7, 2010