Re: PC will only boot sometimes?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ronnie, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Ronnie

    Ronnie Guest

    when you boot the computer, does it go through the POST at all? Any beeps
    or none? Is the computer a retail system such as one you would buy from HP
    or Compaq or Dell or is it custom made? What Operating System is the
    computer booting too? What is the wattage of the power-supply you are
    using? What is the wattage of the supply that died? How did the supply
    die--was it an electrical surge, or did it just die from age, or do you
    know? Do you know what kind of motherboard the system is using? Have you
    checked to make sure that the BIOS options are correct--primary boot
    display, boot sequence, and so on. You mentioned you think it is the
    memory--why do you think that? What type of memory is installed? Does the
    computer have onboard video already preinstalled or does it use a video card
    as the primary display adapter? If is uses a video card is the video card
    PCI or AGP? Were there any problems with the computer prior to the
    powersupply dying? What are the specs of the computer--type/speed of cpu,
    type/speed of memory, motherboard model number, and any other specs which
    could be helpful. The more information, the easier it will be to isolate
    the problem.

    Ronnie, Apr 20, 2004