Re: PC startup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Jan 15, 2009.

  1. "Periproct" <> wrote in message
    > I'll try and keep this brief.
    >
    > I bought a motherboard, processor and memory bundle from Maplin plus a new
    > graphics card. It was taking anywhere between approx 6 to 12 attempts to
    > startup. The first attempts there would be no activity on the screen (IE
    > no
    > BIOS stuff). after a few attempts I'd get part way through the BIOS.
    > Generally each attempt after that would get further each time until I'd
    > get
    > part way through Windows startup. Finaly Windows would run and the PC
    > would
    > be fine for days until I shut the thing down. Now it won't start at all.
    > Someone suggested PSU so I've changed that as well.
    >
    > I've removed everything from the otherboard except memory and processor.
    > IE
    > USB devices, hard disks, DVD etc. Gone back to the onboard graphics and
    > still nothing.
    >
    > I'm thinking BIOS chip. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Remove the memory too and see it if boots that way.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in
    message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Periproct" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > I'll try and keep this brief.
    >> >
    >> > I bought a motherboard, processor and memory
    >> > bundle from Maplin plus a

    > new
    >> > graphics card. It was taking anywhere between
    >> > approx 6 to 12 attempts to
    >> > startup. The first attempts there would be no
    >> > activity on the screen (IE
    >> > no
    >> > BIOS stuff). after a few attempts I'd get part
    >> > way through the BIOS.
    >> > Generally each attempt after that would get
    >> > further each time until I'd
    >> > get
    >> > part way through Windows startup. Finaly Windows
    >> > would run and the PC
    >> > would
    >> > be fine for days until I shut the thing down. Now
    >> > it won't start at all.
    >> > Someone suggested PSU so I've changed that as
    >> > well.
    >> >
    >> > I've removed everything from the otherboard
    >> > except memory and processor.
    >> > IE
    >> > USB devices, hard disks, DVD etc. Gone back to
    >> > the onboard graphics and
    >> > still nothing.
    >> >
    >> > I'm thinking BIOS chip. Any ideas? Thanks.
    >> >

    >> Remove the memory too and see it if boots that way.
    >>

    > Hadn't thought of that. Tried it and still nothing.

    Do you get any error beeps from the PC speaker?

    Neil Green, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in
    message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message

    <snip>

    >> Do you get any error beeps from the PC speaker?
    >>

    > Oh deep joy, I've broken it.
    >
    > Rummaging around I found there was no lead connected
    > to the motherboard
    > speaker connector. Looks like I've managed to break
    > the plastic surround of
    > the first SATA connector. The half dozen or so pins
    > are sitting naked on the
    > motherboard but definately no shorts. I'm sure I
    > could slide the surround
    > back on. There appear to be two metal locating pins
    > that might benefit from
    > a tiny dab of araldite
    >
    > To the point - I'm getting single short beep
    > repeated. It is a GeForce
    > 7050M-M. Amibios

    That seems to be a RAM issue, which would explain the
    other symptoms.
    If you have two RAM modules try them one at a time in
    the first bank.

    Neil Green, Jan 16, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in
    message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Periproct" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >
    >> > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> > in
    >> > message

    >> <snip>

    >> > Oh deep joy, I've broken it.
    >> >
    >> > Rummaging around I found there was no lead
    >> > connected
    >> > to the motherboard
    >> > speaker connector. Looks like I've managed to
    >> > break
    >> > the plastic surround of
    >> > the first SATA connector. The half dozen or so
    >> > pins
    >> > are sitting naked on the
    >> > motherboard but definately no shorts. I'm sure I
    >> > could slide the surround
    >> > back on. There appear to be two metal locating
    >> > pins
    >> > that might benefit from
    >> > a tiny dab of araldite
    >> >
    >> > To the point - I'm getting single short beep
    >> > repeated. It is a GeForce
    >> > 7050M-M. Amibios

    >> That seems to be a RAM issue, which would explain
    >> the
    >> other symptoms.
    >> If you have two RAM modules try them one at a time
    >> in
    >> the first bank.
    >>

    > Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    > I was thinking of getting another motherboard,
    > processor and memory bundle
    > but I'll try and get another RAM module today.
    >
    > In the unlikely event that doesn't work and I have
    > to buy a bundle I'll be
    > able to use the RAM in that.

    Do you have another machine to test it in?
    If the RAM you bought proves to be faulty it should be
    covered by warranty, a few of the name brands have a
    lifetime guarantee.
    Faulty RAM out of the box isn't unheard of, but
    fortunately these days it's cheap.

    Neil Green, Jan 16, 2009
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in
    message

    >> > Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    >> > I was thinking of getting another motherboard,
    >> > processor and memory bundle
    >> > but I'll try and get another RAM module today.
    >> >
    >> > In the unlikely event that doesn't work and I
    >> > have
    >> > to buy a bundle I'll be
    >> > able to use the RAM in that.

    >> Do you have another machine to test it in?
    >> If the RAM you bought proves to be faulty it should
    >> be
    >> covered by warranty, a few of the name brands have
    >> lifetime guarantee.
    >> Faulty RAM out of the box isn't unheard of, but
    >> fortunately these days it's cheap.
    >>

    > My only other machine is a elderly laptop.
    >
    > At the moment I'm missing a garden fence and need to
    > sort that before I go
    > back to work so time is short. If I can't find my
    > receipt I'll just suffer
    > the price of the RAM.
    > As you said it ties in with my other symptoms.

    Let's know how you get on.

    Neil Green, Jan 16, 2009
  6. "Periproct" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Periproct" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >
    >> > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in
    >> > message

    >> > new

    >> > Hadn't thought of that. Tried it and still nothing.

    >> Do you get any error beeps from the PC speaker?
    >>

    > Oh deep joy, I've broken it.
    >
    > Rummaging around I found there was no lead connected to the motherboard
    > speaker connector. Looks like I've managed to break the plastic surround
    > of
    > the first SATA connector. The half dozen or so pins are sitting naked on
    > the
    > motherboard but definately no shorts. I'm sure I could slide the surround
    > back on. There appear to be two metal locating pins that might benefit
    > from
    > a tiny dab of araldite
    >
    > To the point - I'm getting single short beep repeated. It is a GeForce
    > 7050M-M. Amibios

    Aren't you telling us there are mfg. defects -- cold solder joints -- on the
    board? If so, can't you return it for a good one?

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 16, 2009
  7. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    > "Periproct" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>>
    >>> "Periproct" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Do you get any error beeps from the PC speaker?
    >>>

    >> Oh deep joy, I've broken it.
    >>
    >> Rummaging around I found there was no lead
    >> connected to the motherboard
    >> speaker connector. Looks like I've managed to break
    >> the plastic surround of
    >> the first SATA connector. The half dozen or so pins
    >> are sitting naked on the
    >> motherboard but definately no shorts. I'm sure I
    >> could slide the surround
    >> back on. There appear to be two metal locating pins
    >> that might benefit from
    >> a tiny dab of araldite
    >>
    >> To the point - I'm getting single short beep
    >> repeated. It is a GeForce
    >> 7050M-M. Amibios
    >>

    > Aren't you telling us there are mfg. defects -- cold
    > solder joints -- on the board? If so, can't you
    > return it for a good one?

    From what I undestand the OP broke the socket for the
    SATA port, not the manufacturer's fault but so long as
    the pins aren't shorted the board should be OK.

    Neil Green, Jan 17, 2009
  8. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    >> Aren't you telling us there are mfg. defects -- cold solder joints -- on
    >> the board? If so, can't you return it for a good one?

    > From what I undestand the OP broke the socket for the SATA port, not the
    > manufacturer's fault but so long as the pins aren't shorted the board
    > should be OK.

    I suppose I've lost track of who the OP is, but I thought I read that he
    reported finding solder connection issues.

    IF this is true, there is no way there will ever be reliable activity from
    this board. He reported in his first post of varying symptoms that
    degenerated with successive attempts to boot the machine. This is consistant
    with solder joint problems.

    If he is good with a soldering iron, he may be able to repair the
    problems(s), but I don't see any reason to try if the stuff we are talking
    about is new (recently purchased).

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 17, 2009
  9. Jeff Strickland

    Neil Green Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in
    message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Periproct" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >> > My only other machine is a elderly laptop.
    >> >
    >> > At the moment I'm missing a garden fence and need
    >> > sort that before I go
    >> > back to work so time is short. If I can't find my
    >> > receipt I'll just suffer
    >> > the price of the RAM.
    >> > As you said it ties in with my other symptoms.

    >> Let's know how you get on.
    >>

    > Picked up two DDR2 800 DIMMS today and just tried
    > them and it is exactly the
    > same. Single beep, 2 or 3 seconds and another beep.
    > I let it go up to around
    > thirty beeps to make sure it wasn't going to stop at
    > 'x' beeps.

    Not good.
    First make sure that the RAM is properly seated, it
    requires a little force.
    If they are then it's probably a failure of the memory
    controller on the board, very unusual on a new board
    as they are factory tested.
    You have possibly damaged the board during assembly or
    installation.
    Play dumb when you return it.

    > So now it must be down to motherboard or processor
    > unless I'm missing
    > something. I'll have a search round for the receipt
    > and make a decision
    > depending om whether I find it or not.

    Try and have it replaced under warranty, glue the SATA
    port shroud back on first - as neatly as possible ;-)

    Neil Green, Jan 18, 2009