Re: PC Service & software piracy (again)

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Barry Watzman, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. LARGE OEMs (Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, HP, etc.) have a choice of "BIOS
    Locking" and not requiring activation, or of requiring Activation and
    not "BIOS locking" (in the second case, essentially there is no
    difference between the OEM copy and a retail copy as far as the need for
    product activation is concerned). It seems to me that most OEMs are
    choosing the second choice, but this varies, and in fact a given OEM
    could do BIOS locking on some models and Activation on other models.
    I've experienced both types of installations.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 3, 2003