Re: PC Restarting?!?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by matthewjohansson@gmail.com, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "Matthew J" <> wrote in message
    > > hi all,
    > >
    > > my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb

    seagate
    > > HDD
    > >
    > > i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the

    computer
    > > for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then

    it
    > > will just automatically restart!
    > >
    > > i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
    > > Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!
    > >
    > > not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing

    it,
    > > if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
    > > processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
    > > could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it

    would
    > > fix it.

    > You acknowledge that the RAM has faults, but wonder if that could

    cause the
    > crashing? The answer is HELL YES! The integrity of the RAM is

    absolutely
    > crucial to stable operation. Additionally, you do not elaborate how

    you
    > *know* the RAM is faulty. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I

    ask,
    > because the problems you are encountering can have other causes. But,

    if you
    > are certain that the RAM is faulty though, that would clearly be the

    FIRST
    > thing to fix in the quest to solve these issues.

    well there is no need to be rude about it Thor!

    i had doubted the ram for a while now, so i downloaded a tool called
    "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" from microsoft and it tested the ram
    and told me it had 49 errors in it :-(

    well, i am happy to buy more ram, if i know that it is going to fix it,
    but i am reluctant as i am unsure if that will fix the problem! so
    anything u can tell me would b gratefully appreciated, and just for the
    record the motherboard is about 3 mths old, so there shouldnt b any
    problems in that!

    thanks thor

    , Sep 17, 2004

  2. Wizard Guest

    Thor was absolutely correct in his response. It would be rediculous to
    keep looking after you have found a major problem until it is resolved.

    Wizard, Sep 17, 2004