Re: pc powering off

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SteveF, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. SteveF

    SteveF Guest

    >>A question: Is there a brief blue screen with white text displayed
    >>before it powers off? If so, then you have a Windows error that is

    cause
    >>the machine to automatically reboot. This can be disabled in your

    System
    >>Control Panel under Advanced, then Startup and Recovery. This will

    keep >>the machine from rebooting so you can see what the error is, and
    then >>Google for more information on it.

    No blue screen.

    I've unplugged all my USB devices one by one and still had the problem.

    I then disconnect my second hard disc. This seems to have sorted the
    problem. ie PC has been running for 45 minutes without rebooting.

    However the LED on front of case is continuously flashing (the one
    which shows hard disc is being used). No processes are running which
    should be using hard disc.

    I'm going to attempt to run Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG to check for
    viruses, trojans etc.

    How i test my second hard disc i don't know. Its oonly used for storing
    pictires, music etc. Its backed up but i would rather not lose the use
    of a 40Gb hard disc.
    It may not be the hard disc itself. The hard disc being connect to
    power supply may just tip pwer supply over the edge.
    How do i test a power supply (by the way power is 400 W and not 350W
    stated in original post)

    Regards

    Steve Fisher
    SteveF, Sep 12, 2004

  2. SteveF

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SteveF mused:

    | It may not be the hard disc itself. The hard disc being connect to
    | power supply may just tip pwer supply over the edge.
    | How do i test a power supply (by the way power is 400 W and not 350W
    | stated in original post)

    Unfortunately, the easiest way to test a power supply is to replace it
    with another one. You should have enough power with 400 W, but not all PSUs
    are created equally. It could also be a faulty drive that is causing a
    short ... but that's unlikely.
    mhicaoidh, Sep 12, 2004