Re: PC Phone Support: Dealing with "Who's On First?" Moments

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by PM, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. PM

    PM Guest

    Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
    > One thing I'm really finding a challenge is when I'm "talking at cross
    > purposes" with a customer on the phone, largely because they don't know
    > the "techno-talk" and are expressing things based entirely from their
    > own non-tech POV, while meanwhile I, locked in my "geekspeak", am
    > hopelessly slow on the uptake. This can range from things like the
    > client who nonplussed me by asking what the "Doghouse" was for (the
    > "Home" button in IE), to the following, my most recent and possibly
    > extreme example:
    >
    > A customer called saying her TV wasn't working. What then followed was
    > about ten minutes of my patiently suggesting that she call a TV
    > repairman, and her saying things like, "Why? *You're* the computer
    > expert, aren't you?", until I finally realized that the "TV" she was
    > referring to was her PC monitor!
    >
    > Does anyone here have any useful tips (or at least amusing anecdotes)
    > for preventing phone conversations with clients from turning into a
    > Abbott and Costello routine?

    There's really no way to fix stupid. Just bite your tongue and have a
    laugh after you finish the call. Every experienced tech has their "war
    stories."

    PM, Jun 27, 2006

  2. On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:54:36 -0400, Thumper <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:42:20 -0400, Kathy <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>PM wrote:
    >>>

    >>> There's really no way to fix stupid. Just bite your tongue and have a
    >>> laugh after you finish the call. Every experienced tech has their "war
    >>> stories."

    >>I'm not experienced like some of you here, but I do get the calls. Just
    >>wish there was an easier way to explain things to people without getting
    >>them too confused - LOL.

    >Don't ever look at the person who called as stupid. They are usually
    >very frustrated and may not know much about computers or their problem
    >but thinking their stupid is the wrong way to go about things. First
    >you should re-assure them that you're there to help and that you CAN
    >help them. Then you can explain that just so you can really
    >understand where they are in the problem, you're going to start at
    >square one and work through the problem.
    >You must have called for support at some time and should remember that
    >by the time you do call you are REALLY frustrated and sometimes afraid
    >that the problem can't be fixed or you will lose data.
    >Troubleshooting is a logical exercise and some people's brains don't
    >work that way, but YOURS does. So lead them through thing logically
    >and patiently and KAZAAM! The trouble will be fixed.
    >Thumper

    Right...I am right back to my story of the annual visits to the
    surgeon's house to program his A/V gear. There probably aren't any
    stupid surgeons. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 22, 2006