Re: Pc company going bust

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by E. Scrooge, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "bt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:08:27 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >interesting:
    > >

    >http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994

    > >!opendocument
    > >

    > Not overly surpsied - I seem to remember predicting as much after
    > Colin Brown admitted he passed on customer details to Microsoft
    > whenever he could and especially if they wanted a 'naked' machine.
    > Even claimed he'd report any University who wanted naked machines. For
    > piracy.
    >
    > A pretty stupid attitude I thought at the time, and the mind that
    > produced it was surely not a mind for running a business.
    >
    > I'd have liked to see a NZ computer company succeed though. What's
    > happening with Arche/Artec ? They NZ owned ? Doing well ?
    >

    > Brendan (Avatar)

    Be good to see provide some real proof to that claim of yours.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 10, 2003

  2. E. Scrooge

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "bt" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:08:27 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >interesting:
    > > >

    >http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994
    > > >!opendocument
    > > >

    > > Not overly surpsied - I seem to remember predicting as much after
    > > Colin Brown admitted he passed on customer details to Microsoft
    > > whenever he could and especially if they wanted a 'naked' machine.
    > > Even claimed he'd report any University who wanted naked machines. For
    > > piracy.
    > >
    > > A pretty stupid attitude I thought at the time, and the mind that
    > > produced it was surely not a mind for running a business.
    > >
    > > I'd have liked to see a NZ computer company succeed though. What's
    > > happening with Arche/Artec ? They NZ owned ? Doing well ?

    Arche seem to be doing well in the corporate sector and are fine when they
    stick to what they know. You may remember me asking about a computer a
    friend had built up for him for gaming that gave nothing but trouble and was
    finally returned for a re-fund a few weeks ago? That was made by Arche for
    the son of one of their corporate clients. I think they were just working
    with components they weren't familiar with.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2003

  3. E. Scrooge

    bt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:08:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >Arche seem to be doing well in the corporate sector and are fine when they
    >stick to what they know. You may remember me asking about a computer a
    >friend had built up for him for gaming that gave nothing but trouble and was
    >finally returned for a re-fund a few weeks ago? That was made by Arche for
    >the son of one of their corporate clients. I think they were just working
    >with components they weren't familiar with.

    May be. But the important bit is the backup - did they sort the
    problems out without a fuss ? Seems so.

    Well, I hope PC Company can pull something out of the bag to save
    themselves. I bare no malice towards them - but I do think that some
    of the stupid attitudes of the boss surely played a part... With any
    luck they will come out the other side better than before.

    Oh, and in regard to certain forgettable cretins demanding proof of my
    statement - it's all in nz.comp, for anyone to google.

    >I should add that I've bought quite a few ex-corporate Arche PCs at auction
    >and they were made with good quality components (excellent mobos and
    >over-sized PSUs than were really needed) and are still serving me well
    >(albeit with a few mods to make them suitable what I need them for).

    Good on them.

    It seemed to me that it was not so much that PC Company had the odd
    faulty machine, but the hassle in getting it sorted. They also
    repportedly used some low quality components which contributed to this
    - in my expperiance, it seems that cheap capacitors are the major
    example of cheap components.

    They were likly forced to it in a way though, as they'd be unable to
    compete with the big names like Dell and Compaq on price points - even
    though a lot of these big names use really shitty components, and
    often with proprietry buggy drivers, etc. Bastards.

    Still, servicing computers can be tricky - the users 'faulty modem' is
    as often as not some piece of shit spyware or incorrect password.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Sep 11, 2003
  4. E. Scrooge

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "bt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:08:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >Arche seem to be doing well in the corporate sector and are fine when

    they
    > >stick to what they know. You may remember me asking about a computer a
    > >friend had built up for him for gaming that gave nothing but trouble and

    was
    > >finally returned for a re-fund a few weeks ago? That was made by Arche

    for
    > >the son of one of their corporate clients. I think they were just working
    > >with components they weren't familiar with.

    > May be. But the important bit is the backup - did they sort the
    > problems out without a fuss ? Seems so.

    Their tech insisted that it was the client's fault at first, software he'd
    loaded. Then he agreed to take a look at it after I formatted and did a
    clean re-install of windows. It didn't crash for him (so he says while my
    friend waited two hours in the parking lot. He took it home, installed
    Battlefield 1942 and it crashed everytime, within seconds of starting. He
    bought it back to me and I tested it with Memtest86 and Prime95. Memtest ran
    fine overnight but prime crashed on the first test. 3dMark 2001SE also
    crashed within seconds (remember he'd asked for a 'gaming machine', they'd
    fitted a GeForce 4 440MX. LOL)

    He took it back and insisted on a refund, which he got.

    In the end I found that there had been troubles with that model mobo and the
    way it handled the memory/CPU bus, it had a very limited production run
    (i.e. 1 month).

    To be fair, it wasn't a mobo they were familiar with, I think they got it in
    for his machine.

    > Well, I hope PC Company can pull something out of the bag to save
    > themselves. I bare no malice towards them - but I do think that some
    > of the stupid attitudes of the boss surely played a part... With any
    > luck they will come out the other side better than before.
    >
    > Oh, and in regard to certain forgettable cretins demanding proof of my
    > statement - it's all in nz.comp, for anyone to google.
    >
    > >I should add that I've bought quite a few ex-corporate Arche PCs at

    auction
    > >and they were made with good quality components (excellent mobos and
    > >over-sized PSUs than were really needed) and are still serving me well
    > >(albeit with a few mods to make them suitable what I need them for).

    > Good on them.

    I agree, they use quality components that seem to last ages. A good plan for
    a company who mainly deals with the corporate sector and provides support.
    The better the machine, the less support needed. I think it would be good
    for a punter off the street to be able to but an Arche PC. (maybe you can?
    I'm not sure) But then again, they would be expensive I think, an expense
    they would re-coup in the corporate sector by less call-outs.

    Also, I must say the same for all Cyclone machines I've dealt with. They
    have all been well-made with quality components.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2003
  5. E. Scrooge

    back again Guest

    bt <> wrote in

    > Good on them.
    >
    > It seemed to me that it was not so much that PC Company had the odd
    > faulty machine, but the hassle in getting it sorted. They also
    > repportedly used some low quality components which contributed to this
    > - in my expperiance, it seems that cheap capacitors are the major
    > example of cheap components.

    My understanding is that lots of motherboards and possibly other
    componentry are likely to fail shortly due to some bungled industrial
    espionage. Check out
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html for details.
    A snippet follows:

    Leaking Capacitors Muck up Motherboards

    Finger-pointing and fury as manufacturers try to dodge blame

    It has all the elements of a good thriller: a stolen secret formula,
    bungled corporate espionage, untraceable goods, and lone wolves saving the
    little guy from the misdeeds of multinational corporations. In this case, a
    mistake in the stolen formulation of the electrolyte in a capacitor has
    wrecked hundreds of PCs and may wreck still more in what is an industrywide
    problem.

    back again, Sep 11, 2003
  6. E. Scrooge

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "back again" <> wrote in message
    > bt <> wrote in
    >
    > > Good on them.
    > >
    > > It seemed to me that it was not so much that PC Company had the odd
    > > faulty machine, but the hassle in getting it sorted. They also
    > > repportedly used some low quality components which contributed to this
    > > - in my expperiance, it seems that cheap capacitors are the major
    > > example of cheap components.
    > >

    > My understanding is that lots of motherboards and possibly other
    > componentry are likely to fail shortly due to some bungled industrial
    > espionage. Check out
    > http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html for details.
    > A snippet follows:
    >
    > Leaking Capacitors Muck up Motherboards
    >
    > Finger-pointing and fury as manufacturers try to dodge blame
    >
    > It has all the elements of a good thriller: a stolen secret formula,
    > bungled corporate espionage, untraceable goods, and lone wolves saving the
    > little guy from the misdeeds of multinational corporations. In this case,

    > mistake in the stolen formulation of the electrolyte in a capacitor has
    > wrecked hundreds of PCs and may wreck still more in what is an

    industrywide
    > problem.

    PCWORLD had an article on this earlier in the year. IIRC it affects boards
    made in 2000 - 2001, and the problem has been known about in some circles
    for well over a year.

    Andy Lawson, Sep 11, 2003
  7. E. Scrooge

    Edmund Good Guest

    I heard about it last year, but companies using suspect capacitors is nothing
    new, manufacturers will substitute components if they can to save a few cents
    per board or remove components someone thinks are not needed (which just
    causes other problems :-( ). About the PC Company we had a great problem
    getting parts for PC Company monitors - they seemed rather reluctant to part
    with components Most likely they just didn't have the parts.

    Edmund

    Edmund Good, Sep 11, 2003
  8. E. Scrooge

    alfred Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "bt" <> wrote in message

    >>Not overly surpsied - I seem to remember predicting as much after
    >>Colin Brown admitted he passed on customer details to Microsoft
    >>whenever he could and especially if they wanted a 'naked' machine.
    >>Even claimed he'd report any University who wanted naked machines. For
    >>piracy.
    >>
    >>A pretty stupid attitude I thought at the time, and the mind that
    >>produced it was surely not a mind for running a business.
    >>
    >>I'd have liked to see a NZ computer company succeed though. What's
    >>happening with Arche/Artec ? They NZ owned ? Doing well ?
    >>

    >>Brendan (Avatar)

    > Be good to see provide some real proof to that claim of yours.

    If you mean about Colin Brown, he was here in this newsgroup saying such
    things on 30 April 2001. I found the post in google groups, but the Url
    is about six weeks long - if you're keen to see it, its there. Funny
    the things you remember.

    alfred, Sep 11, 2003
  9. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:43:00 +0000, back again wrote:

    > My understanding is that lots of motherboards and possibly other
    > componentry are likely to fail shortly due to some bungled industrial
    > espionage. Check out
    > http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html for details.

    Most of them already have. The problem has been fixed for over a year, so
    will only show up as a warranty issue on machines under long maintenance
    contracts.

    The score at $orkplace was 27 machines replaced under such contracts and a
    further 5 or so locally assembled ones scrapped due to this board problem.
    We have the equipment to desolder the caps, it's still not worth doing it.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  10. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:42:00 +1200, Edmund Good wrote:

    > I heard about it last year, but companies using suspect capacitors is nothing
    > new, manufacturers will substitute components if they can to save a few cents
    > per board or remove components someone thinks are not needed (which just
    > causes other problems :-( ). About the PC Company we had a great problem
    > getting parts for PC Company monitors - they seemed rather reluctant to part
    > with components Most likely they just didn't have the parts.

    Computer companies don't regard monitors as a serviceable item.

    For the most part they're right. It's uneconomic.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  11. E. Scrooge

    bt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:54:52 +1200, alfred <> wrote:

    >If you mean about Colin Brown, he was here in this newsgroup saying such
    >things on 30 April 2001. I found the post in google groups, but the Url
    >is about six weeks long - if you're keen to see it, its there. Funny
    >the things you remember.

    It's nice to see that some people are capable of doing a little
    homeowrk for themselves :)

    Scrooge is a well known timewaster Alfred. You are free to find out
    yourself, of course, but if you wish to save time you may start
    ignoring him now.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    bt, Sep 11, 2003
  12. E. Scrooge

    Edmund Good Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:30:22 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:42:00 +1200, Edmund Good wrote:
    >
    >> I heard about it last year, but companies using suspect capacitors is nothing
    >> new, manufacturers will substitute components if they can to save a few cents
    >> per board or remove components someone thinks are not needed (which just
    >> causes other problems :-( ). About the PC Company we had a great problem
    >> getting parts for PC Company monitors - they seemed rather reluctant to part
    >> with components Most likely they just didn't have the parts.

    >Computer companies don't regard monitors as a serviceable item.
    >
    >For the most part they're right. It's uneconomic.

    And which companies are you talking about...... (names please)

    Edmund Good, Sep 12, 2003